SFA HILUX CLUTCH PROBLEM

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
ed rouillard
Town: bryanston
Vehicle: hilux 1995 2.4

SFA HILUX CLUTCH PROBLEM

Post by ed rouillard »

Had small glitch with the vehicle and need some advice please.

Vehicle is 1994 22Y twin cab Raider with Brospeed conversion. Was used on overland trips 1995 till 2011 as a more or less dedicated overlanding vehicle. Has about 216k kms on the clock. Was maintained by TOY for some years but, after some poor experiences, did much myself with outsourced work with Gauteng based indies. Had gearbox overhaul yonks ago by Eugen Nick, who passed away since, as well as clutch.

Drove vehicle Sunday and had a grinding noise when clutch in and in gear at a few stop streets, no noise out of gear with clutch in or out or driving - clutch not slipping and vehicle drives very well. Figured it must be a worn release bearing? Recently noticed an oil drip in area of bell housing but have not cleaned up and properly checked if it is coming out of bell housing or from cylinder head cover and running down engine and dripping - saw that it needs a new top cover gasket. Will do so shortly.

Any thoughts? Also does anyone know an Indie who can do this type of work at reasonable cost - not TOY preferably. Live and work in north, Rivonia and Bryanston.

Vehicle is driven mostly once per week on a sunday for about 60 kms and about 3 to 35 k kms per year with a freeway leg. Needs a little TLC at moment.

I currently drive a kitted out LC79 S/C as overland vehicle. Maintained by self and some indies such as Summit on brakes and Aton Wessels on rest - eg clutch, front wheel hubs and advice when possible. May take to AW.

Thanks a lot
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: SFA HILUX CLUTCH PROBLEM

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Edmond! :thumbup:
A faulty release bearing will be noisy every time you depress the clutch, whether in gear or not. Could be the spigot bearing,
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ed rouillard

Post by ed rouillard »

Mud Dog wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:17 am Welcome Edmond! :thumbup:
A faulty release bearing will be noisy every time you depress the clutch, whether in gear or not. Could be the spigot bearing,
Thanks for reply Mud Dog. Where is spigot bearing and what is replacement process? See u have a SFA.

i guess i will need a diagnosis with an Indie to decide soon.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Spigot bearing sits in the end of the crank-shaft. The end of the input shaft (into the gearbox) is machined to fit inside the spigot bearing thus supporting the end of the input shaft. It is stationary when the input shaft is turning with the crankshaft ie when the clutch is released and turns when the input shaft is stationary and the crankshaft is turning or if there is a difference in rotational speed between the input shaft and the crankshaft (like when you are releasing the clutch to pull away or shift gears).

Andy may have a point but it is concerning that you only hear it when in gear with the clutch depressed. Could also be the bearings on the input shaft.

The gearbox needs to be pulled and the pressure plate assembly removed in order to get to the spigot bearing.
ed rouillard

Post by ed rouillard »

Hi Mars and Mud Dog

Thanks for the replies, appreciated. To add info on what happened.

Drove vehicle on Sunday and about the third stop heard the grinding noise - not too loud sounded like rough bearing. Took it out of gear with clutch in and pressed clutch pedal in out a few times and noise went till a little later and same action again. On way home later more or less the same. In gear stopped, clutch in and brake on. noise then it goes when clutch pedal pumped once or twice. Didn't do it when out of gear and clutch in but i couldn't play too much as the kids were coming for fathers day.

Did it sporadically later at night when i parked it under carport as i need to do a few back and forward movements.

Noise is not on permanently at moment - yet. Intermittent but fairly frequent, especially when cold. Thanks again.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Edmond wrote:.... had a grinding noise when clutch in and in gear at a few stop streets, no noise out of gear with clutch in or out or driving
Marnus wrote:Andy may have a point but it is concerning that you only hear it when in gear with the clutch depressed. Could also be the bearings on the input shaft.
Marnus. I thought about the shaft bearings as well but that wouldn't explain it happening while stationary as described above - the shaft will also be stationary. The only bearing behind the motor that I can think of besides the release bearing that is rotating under those conditions is the spigot bearing. Stationary out of gear the spigot shaft will most likely rotate along with the crank, especially if the spigot bearing is "sticky" (which could possibly be due to non use as described and/or the bearing being in the process of failure).

Edmond, I see you posted while I was typing. The cold conditions could contribute to the "stickiness" of the bearing.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ed rouillard

Post by ed rouillard »

Thanks again guys for the inputs - great forum and very helpful.

Do you guys have any Indie contact in the north who works on the old Hilux? I am really attached-married better description - to that vehicle and want to keep it maintained. Have been taking the LC 79 to Anton Wessels after a reference on the LCCSA website and pretty happy. He is in Boksburg. I do as much as i can and leave the more challenging jobs to him - on the cruiser. Had a bad experience with the manufacturer long ago on the Hilux as well as on the Cruiser in 2012.

Vehicle - Hilux - needs quite a lot of things done - the problem above; the engine cover gasket which i can do; replace the water pipes as preventative maintenance, radiator flush ditto; clean and grease wheel bearings ditto - probably replace fronts; a repair of the Gearmax difflock - think the air hose is perished; and a few others. Want also to have carb looked at - cleaned at least. Also engine oil which i will do.
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Mud Dog wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:13 am
Marnus. I thought about the shaft bearings as well but that wouldn't explain it happening while stationary as described above - the shaft will also be stationary. The only bearing behind the motor that I can think of besides the release bearing that is rotating under those conditions is the spigot bearing. Stationary out of gear the spigot shaft will most likely rotate along with the crank, especially if the spigot bearing is "sticky" (which could possibly be due to non use as described and/or the bearing being in the process of failure).
Agreed. I think you hit the nail on the head.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”