Hilux 2.7i DC vs. LC70 S/W

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Hilux 2.7i DC vs. LC70 S/W

Post by Family_Dog »

I am sitiing here with a b-e-e-g problem:

Do I sell my Raider 2.7i DC and put the money towards a new Cruiser 70 Station Wagon? My g@t is itching for this wagon, probably not as comfortable as the 2.7i, but Oh, so nice...

What I have:

1999 Raider DC 2.7i with:
45,000 genuine KM (actually, not even that many)
Full OME suspension
ARB Bullbar
Cooper AT 31" tyres (x 5, spare brand new, others done less than 5,000Km)
FSH at Toyota Klerksdorp
IPF Spots
Executop "S" Fiberglass Canopy, with fully carpeted loadbay
Two VHF Radios (At least one of which will be removed, the other is negotiable, or can take one VHF & one 29MHz))

Plus the usual bits & pieces - Immobiliser, Netstar, Fire Extinguisher, Standard Rear Diff Lock, A/C, Gear lock, new Battery etc. The car has never been in any accident and has done minimal off-road driving.

I don't really want to throw myself in debt, who does, but if I don't consider this now, it will never happen! The SFA is never going to be sold, absolutely non-negotiable!

What do I do... HELP!

F_D
Hilux, 2.7i 013 NNP.jpg
Hilux, 2.7i 012.jpg
Hilux, 2.7i 005.jpg

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: Hilux 2.7i DC vs. LC70

Post by BenHur »

Eric

A wise man once told me this:

"As jou gat jeuk, is daar niks wat daai jeuk beter kan krap as die seat van 'n nuwe kar nie" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

So ja as jou gat rerig jeuk moet jy seker maar maak soos jy wil maak, en niks wat ons jou hier kan sê sal jou anders laat besluit nie, maar ek sal in elkgeval try: With such a nice vehicle as your 2.7i why do you want to go and waste money on a new cruiser? If it was me I would rather keep the existing one, maar dis net ek... :wink:
Family_Dog

Re: Hilux 2.7i DC vs. LC70

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Bennie,

I've been through all these arguments myself :), but I'm losing it.

I wonder how many years I will still be able to work - if I don't make a move now, it will never happen. When I bought the 2.7i originally, I wanted a station-wagon type bakkie, such as the Fortuner, but Toyota never imported them in those days. I was after a wagon rather than a 'bakkie", because I would never use it as a bakkie but only for leisure.

I sat in a Cruiser S/W today. The Salesman had to call the Fire Department to pry me out.

The 2.7 would have been my holiday car for touring, because of personal reasons that has only happened once when I did a trip, to the West Coast, Augrabies & to see the flowers. The fun vehicle will always be the SFA.

As I am personally getting on in mileage, I should seriously consider this now... *IF* I get a reasonable price for the 2.7.

The Toyota Bug has bitten me, it is very contagious.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Re: Hilux 2.7i DC vs. LC70 S/W

Post by BenHur »

So do you need the Station wagon to carry all your dogs or what?

If I were you I would rather remove the loadbin on your bakkie and replace it with a proper Alu canopy that you can have built to your design, and change this vehicle into a proper ringed overlander with a RTT the tootie, so that when your current circumstances change you have a vehicle that is paid for and ready to start touring Africa. That bakkie of yours will probably last you as long as you would want to use it.

That is why I also want to retire when I am still "young" and healthy enough to go enjoy tmy golden years out and about. My folks retired in more then 10 years ago. They have been lucky enough to tour this country all over. In 1999 the upgraded their old Mazda bakkie to a Ford Courier 250DT, and this bakkie will most probably outlast them. They are caravanners and of the 120 000kms this old Ford has on the clock 80-90% of that was done while towing the caravan and 99% was of it was done while touring somewhere.

If you rig your Lux you can most probably do the same. Keep your other bakkies as your daily transport and use the Lux as your "tourer".
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Bennie,

My heart totally agrees with you - but "lus" is a terrible thing!

The Hilux will certainly outlast me, I drove it this past weekend when I went to the Vaal River to see what was happening at the Club and it certainly does give a great ride. Mate of mine has the 4x2 R/B version, and it is interesting to note the difference in ride quality between the standard suspension and the OME, the latter being a much more comfortable ride.

I get these feelings every now and again, and probably this idea will just fizzle out as well, but it does give me a lot of pleasure in thinking about it :P

-F_D

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Fervent Dog :shock: :shock: :wink:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

5 results for: fervent

http://www.sanecocorp.com Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
fer·vent /ˈfɜrvənt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fur-vuhnt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. having or showing great warmth or intensity of spirit, feeling, enthusiasm, etc.; ardent: a fervent admirer; a fervent plea.
2. hot; burning; glowing.
[Origin: 1350–1400; ME (< AF) < L fervent- (s. of fervéns) prp. of fervére to boil; see -ent]

—Related forms
fer·vent·ly, adverb
fer·vent·ness, noun

—Synonyms 1. fervid, impassioned, passionate.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

---

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source
fer·vent (fûr'vənt) Pronunciation Key
adj.

1. Having or showing great emotion or zeal; ardent: fervent protests; a fervent admirer.
2. Extremely hot; glowing.

[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin fervēns, fervent-, present participle of fervēre, to boil; see bhreu- in Indo-European roots.]

fer'vent·ly adv., fer'vent·ness n.
(Download Now or Buy the Book)
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

---

Online Etymology Dictionary - Cite This Source
fervent
1340, from L. fervens (gen. ferventis) "glowing," prp. of fervere "to boil, glow," from PIE base *bhreu- (see brew). The figurative sense of "impassioned" is first attested c.1400.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper

---

WordNet - Cite This Source

fervent

adjective
1. characterized by intense emotion; "ardent love"; "an ardent lover"; "a fervent desire to change society"; "a fervent admirer"; "fiery oratory"; "an impassioned appeal"; "a torrid love affair" [syn: ardent]
2. extremely hot; "the fervent heat...merely communicated a genial warmth to their half-torpid systems"- Nathaniel Hawthorne; "set out...when the fervid heat subsides"- Frances Trollope
WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

---

Bennie,

I don't understand what you're trying to say! :P :mrgreen: :twisted:

-F_D

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

He who dies with the most toys wins go for it FD :mrgreen:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

FD, I know that feeling well. But as Francois said on the 4x4 Com site, "if you decide to sell your Hilux, please ask a ridiculous amount of money for it! That way I won't contemplate doing stupid things.......” Sometimes in life you just have to do it. Worst advise possible I know.
SuidWes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

Hi F_D, I agree with Bennie - Keep the Hilux, rig it out and use the change for a trip to the Serengetie :) The 2.7 is a brilliant vehicle and in mho just as capable and reliable as the LC.

Soos my pa altyd se, as jou gat jeuk koop 'n draadborsel! :wink:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Family_Dog wrote: Bennie,

I don't understand what you're trying to say! :P :mrgreen: :twisted:
-F_D
Sorry I did not even check dictionary.com

If you check the thesaurus for fervent in MS Word you''ll see words like: keen, avid, ardent, eager, fanatical, burning etc.

Met ander woorde fervent dog meen 'n hond wat se gat jeuk :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”