Fridge Idée

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 3.0L Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: Xray05

Fridge Idée

Post by Gertc »

Lus om te speel?! of is dit Sukkel?

We all love driving your 4x4’s. What is more relaxing than to drive with a cold one in the hand (cold coke that is.) But how do you keep it cold? Well you can buy it cold or you try and keep it cold yourself.

So I bought myself one of these hot/cold cooler boxes. The inside is just big enough to keep 6 “coke” from boiling on the cold setting. And Small enough on the outside so that it will fit nowhere in the Hilux. And uses 5AMP’s Plus. No way to keep it running when the engine is switched off, unless you like to push or jump start your 4x 4.

Well I was thinking of removing my centre console between the 2 front seats and replace it with a compressor driven fridge. The idée is to extend it all the way to the back seat.

That will give you space for 10 x 500ml “Coke’s “ or +/- 20 cans or 2 x 2L cokes laying horizontal.

The compressor will be a 12v Danfoss compressor or one of the Engel swing motor types. Both of them use less than 3Amps. And will be mounted behind the back seat.

The Evaporator will be mounted between the cab and the loading bin. You should get enough ventilation to cool the refrigerant.

And if you fit 2 x 7a/h batteries you should get about 4 hours of cooling when the vehicle
is parked and dad have to wait for mom to finish her shopping. Or you went for a tour at Table Mountain.

Ok let me have it now. Good or Bad idée?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Fridge Idée

Post by Mud Dog »

Gert, the idea itself might not be too bad, but I would be a little apprehensive about locating the condenser (the evaporator is the one inside the box) in the gap between the cab and load-body. This area is prone to becoming choked with leaves / twigs which would restrict airflow. I also think that a lot of heat rises through this gap, coming from the exhaust and under the cab from the engine. Ideally one would like to keep all the refrigeration components close together for efficiency, so that location would be good from this aspect. how big would this condenser be?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

The idea is great and if you could make a smaller compressor (only big enough to run this size unit) it would be even better.
If planning to use the BD35F, it is a large compressor, coupled with all the electronics, I dont see how you would fit it in. :?
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

Wel Gert as dit werk sit ek my bestelling nou al in vir een.... :thumbup:

Al nadeel is dat jy nie moet van plan wees om jou bakkie te verkoop nie :think:
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
2.8 d/cab SFA
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

:D someone can fit mine as a test :lol: :P
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

ALTERNATIVE......... Buy a 200 cruiser.Standard equipment.But then ,who wants to drive a fuel guzzler like that..... :?: :?: :?: I think that is reason enough to try your idea.Go for it!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Gertc wrote:Lus om te speel?! of is dit Sukkel?

We all love driving your 4x4’s. What is more relaxing than to drive with a cold one in the hand (cold coke that is.) But how do you keep it cold? Well you can buy it cold or you try and keep it cold yourself.

So I bought myself one of these hot/cold cooler boxes. The inside is just big enough to keep 6 “coke” from boiling on the cold setting. And Small enough on the outside so that it will fit nowhere in the Hilux. And uses 5AMP’s Plus. No way to keep it running when the engine is switched off, unless you like to push or jump start your 4x 4.

Well I was thinking of removing my centre console between the 2 front seats and replace it with a compressor driven fridge. The idée is to extend it all the way to the back seat.

That will give you space for 10 x 500ml “Coke’s “ or +/- 20 cans or 2 x 2L cokes laying horizontal.

The compressor will be a 12v Danfoss compressor or one of the Engel swing motor types. Both of them use less than 3Amps. And will be mounted behind the back seat.

The Evaporator will be mounted between the cab and the loading bin. You should get enough ventilation to cool the refrigerant.

And if you fit 2 x 7a/h batteries you should get about 4 hours of cooling when the vehicle
is parked and dad have to wait for mom to finish her shopping. Or you went for a tour at Table Mountain.

Ok let me have it now. Good or Bad idée?

i think it's a great idea Gert, have a go :P :!:

is there any chance you could increase the internal height a little to accomodate dumpies, they taste better than cans :wink:
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Thanks I’m already busy with the template for the fridge. I will try and get some pictures.
This is something I have to build.
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

Great idea,
But after all the time, effort and money! Wouldn’t it be better to just go with an Engel? I know its hard work getting out your van for a beer, but think about it, it a proper fridge so it ice cold beer!!! And you don’t need a dual battery system. Fit a lighter plug in the back of your van connected to your main battery with a fuse. Job done!!!
I fitted a dual battery system in my old man’s Hilux for his Engel. Now I know that the Engel draws so little that we could have done without the dual battery system.
:thumbup:
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

WayneSchalk wrote:I fitted a dual battery system in my old man’s Hilux for his Engel. Now I know that the Engel draws so little that we could have done without the dual battery system.
:thumbup:
Wayne, indeed they do draw a very small amount of power for what they are doing, but doing without a dual battery system to run it is probably the worst idea. That is unless you only plan on using the fridge while you are driving. Stop over somewhere for two days, in a place without electricity and oops you will be staying longer than expected with a flat battery and you wont have cold beers to make the time go quicker. :evil:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Just a question.
How much does the compressor cost?
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

4 x 4 Mega world quotes me R.1200 on a Engel compressor
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Original centre console
IMAGE_033 (Small).jpg
Starting with the mould
IMAGE_034 (Small).jpg
Giving it shape
IMAGE_038 (Small).jpg
final template for bottom half of fridge.
IMAGE_095 (Small).jpg
still needs to be sanded to perfection
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

I measured my small engel (20 L), it will fit in between my KZTE's seats if i move the two front seats 40mm each to the sides.
i've driven a few beetles, so the offset position won't scare me, but having my brandy, coke and ice so close certainly does!
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

I will start next week with the inside box then I will measure the capacity and let you know .
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by hentey »

i've driven a few beetles, so the offset position won't scare me, but having my brandy, coke and ice so close certainly does!

Gee Hoppy, I had to read your post a second time.I agree,That must be scary tempting,specialy now that you get it mixed in a bottle.
:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:
Family_Dog
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Here come great things! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

I calculated the inside of the fridge, and it worked out to round about 15l.

I also decided to get rid of the condenser between the cab and loading bin. I want to get brake line pipes. And run it next to the chassis of the hilux. Making use of 2 or 3 runs should be enough. No need to worry about ventilation or leaves blocking the condenser.
Last edited by Gertc on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by hentey »

Gert are you going to install a fan for the condenser :?: If not what is cooling it down when you are not moving :?: Just curious :confused: :confused:
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by hentey »

[quote="Gertc"]I calculated the inside of the fridge, and it worked out to round about 15l.

I also decided to get rid of the condenser between the cab and loading bin. I want to get break line pipes.
Do you mean brake line pipes :?:
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

OOOoooops Yes should have been brake line pipes.

I tested my 40L Engel and the condenser doesn't really heat up. So I'm going to try running the BRAKE line pipes and by using enough pipe I don't think it will be a problem. The pipes will be spaced 2 or 3 cm apart. There shouldn’t be a problem of heat accumulating in one place sins the condenser will consist out of 3 pipes 1.4m long installed horizontally.
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Update.

I finished the outer box mould today of my fridge. The next step will be to start creating the final outer box from the outer box mould.

Then I want to start with the inner box. But still a little unsure how and what to use as an evaporator. Thought about 1.6 mm stainless plates spot weld some pipes to it and then mould it into the fiberglass box. But that is next weeks or the week after problem.

I will keep you up to date and post some pic`s .
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Thought about 1.6 mm stainless plates spot weld some pipes to it and then mould it into the fiberglass box
Copper plate would probably be better, and easier to work with.
M2CW.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Copper corrodes to easy. Stainless can take more punishment than copper and gives a better finish.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Sorry, my misunderstanding. I assumed you were going to do a moulded plastic inner, but the stainless idea incorporating the evaporater and inner lining into one piece is definitely better. You'll probably have to silver-solder the copper tubing to the stainless, braizing could work if done carefully with the right flux.
Good luck all the same.

Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

I'm thinking of securing the copper pipes to the stainless with straps that is being spotwelded onto the stainless plate.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Yeah, probably better so that you don't weaken the pipes. There should still be enough heat transfer, but I was wondering if there is'nt a product like an epoxy / gel / paste / glue that has a high heat transfer rate, something like what was used on PC's between the CPU and heat sink. Then you could run that along the full length of the tube against the plates, for max efficiency.

Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Heatsink Thermal Compound! just don't know what the reaction would be when cooled down to -2 C
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Test it and see .... should still work well, even if it's 'in reverse'. Just make sure it's non-corrosive, for the copper mainly.
Good luck and keep us posted as to how it all works out. :thumbup:

Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

I finally finished the evaporator for my fridge. Looks small but can take 16 x 500ml cokes(Castle's) or 4 x 500ml coke's and 2 x 2L coke's. More than what I bargained for.
IMAGE_116 (Small).jpg
IMAGE_123 (Small).jpg
Used 0.6mm galvanized plate. Wrapped it in 6.35 mm copper pipe and soldered it together. Must still fit the capillary tube and filter before I can start mould it in its place.
IMAGE_127 (Small).jpg
IMAGE_126 (Small).jpg
Last edited by Gertc on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Lyk goed Gert.

P.S Wanneer maak jy klaar met die kombuis :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Is jy en my vrou Familie?
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Kan nie meer wag nie. een van die dae!
IMAGE_136 (Small).jpg
IMAGE_145 (Small).jpg
IMAGE_146 (Small).jpg
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Nice work Gert :thumbup: :clap:

I'm watching this one with interest nê :P :wink:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Hey Gert

Loop teel nou klaar daai kombuis en as jy klaar is kom doen sommer myne ook!! :wave: :wave:
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Jy is nie veronderstel om so vroeg op n Donderdag te begin drink nie.

Jy sien jy praat baie as jy so vroeg begin drink. :lol:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Maar dis dan nou eers woensdag
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

SSSSSSSo jy het begin! HHHHHHHIK. :shh: Hhhhhhik :shh: :roll:
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Dis nou mooi! Dis nou baie mooi.

Ek het by n 4 x 4 plek prys gekry op n Engel 40 l kompressor R1200 +/-. en nou dat ek hom 2 maande later wil bestel nou se HOOF kantoor van engel hulle mag nie compressor los verkoop nie. moet yskas instuur en dan vra hulle R.2695 vir n compressor en evaporator.

Genoeg om al jou toys uit die kot tewil gooi. Ek teel sommer my kombuis klaar so kwaad is ek nou.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Teel jou kombuis en loop kry vir jou 'n Danfoss kompressor
Uys
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2008 D4-d Fortuner

Post by Uys »

Sit 'n Danfoss BD50 in. Ek verstaan hulle is so R2200 met die black box.
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Danfoss BD35F beste prys en dan moet ek 180km agter hom aan ry. R3100 + petrol
Uys
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Uys »

Is dit by Reco? www.reco.co.za
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

jip Vereeniging is goedkoper as JHB R.233 goedkoper.
Uys
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Uys »

Hmmm.....

Skielik raak 'n koue bietjie baie duur!
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Sou baie snaakser gewees het as dit met iemand anders gebeur het. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Skoolgeld bra-Gert, skoolgeld... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Nice friets anyway... en jou koue biertjie gaan baie lekkerder smaak as hy eers in daai friets koudgemaak is... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Sal maar my haal geweer moet gaan uit grawe en kyk waar ek kan gaan geld trek.

maar glo my my fridge gaan werk. ni vandag nie nie more nie maar glo my hy gaan werk.

Hou maar dop :clap: :lol: :clap: :lol: :clap:
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Sorry to hear that Gert. Was that price for the compressor and control box? The way I understood reco the last time I enquired was that the comp and control box were sold seperatley and cost about the same?
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Reco in Vereeniging R3100 that is for the compressor and control box.
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Ok you guy's convinced me to can my fridge idèe So I desided to go for the cheaper version.
new fridge.jpg
new fridge.jpg (14.88 KiB) Viewed 8399 times
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Gert, you may have read this already but have a look here on the community forum. One of the guys there seems to think a compressor from reco is only 2K. I wonder if he gets discount because he buys from them all the time or maybe he just hasn't called for the latest price.
Perhaps you should contact him and find out.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... hp?t=32192
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Gert,

I don't know how these prices compare:

BD35 @ R2200 excluding VAT

BD50 @ R2460 excluding VAT

In both cases the control box is included and features 24/12V DC input.

Courier fees from JHB are probably around R100 or so.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

The final product.

Still waiting for the compressor :crazy:
IMAGE_208.jpg
IMAGE_211.jpg
IMAGE_209.jpg
IMAGE_210.jpg
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hey Gert... you did first check that a six-pack or two does fit in there, didn't you... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Looks velly lekker! I like the colour-coding.

-F_D

Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

I designed the fridge with a 6 pack in hand. I ment in mind.

end up with more space than 6 pack at the end of the night. :mrgreen:
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

The original centre console
IMAGE_033 (Small).jpg
The new fridge console
IMAGE_214.jpg
IMAGE_212.jpg
IMAGE_213.jpg
IMAGE_215.jpg
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Mooi man. Well done Gert.

Have you ordered a compressor, if so, what did you go for and end up paying?
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

I went for Danfoss BD35F. Reason, Availability.

Prices R. 3078.00

Yes the fridge is expensive. But I think it is worthwhile. It is a 16 L fridge that is out of the way. And always ready to be use. If you compare it to the engel 16L fridge that is on the market of R 5400 and it is bulky. You will have to keep it in the back of your load bin.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

That is expensive. I phoned Hussein twice since speaking to you - last time was 30 minutes ago, but was still unable to get hold of him. Left a message for him to phone me, but you have already ordered?

-F_D

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”