Questions about Hilux

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Riala
Vehicle: porsche 944

Questions about Hilux

Post by Maverick »

Hello everyone!

As you can see I'm new to this forum and I'm excited to learn everything about hiluxes in general.
It all started with my girlfriends dad was going to sell he's hilux -92 with 16k milage for a fair amount of money. 8 rims with tires, the hmm, "box at the back (what do you call it?), it was really nice, nearly no rust. The only problem was,,,, it was GREY! The ugliest color of all time.

Anyway, It's still for sale and I'm probably going to buy it. Meanwhile I have some questions;

What's the difference in the bodies? 2 seater (2 door), 2+2 seater (2 door) and 4 seater (4 door). Does everyone have the same length?

When should you replace the chain and overall maintenance?

Where can I get a nice bullbar like this; download.php?id=494&mode=view

Can you recommend a good and strong winch?

I will keep the suspension original for the moment I think, to much work.

Anyone got pictures of a nice and good looking GREY hilux (if there are any).

Thank you, more questions will come!

//Per
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Questions about Hilux

Post by Family_Dog »

Hello Per, and welcome to the Forum (which now has its first International member!)

Is the Hilux a 4x4 model? 16,000km means that the vehicle is not even run in yet, a real beauty!

The 'box' - not sure if you mean what we call a 'bak' or a 'load box', or a Canopy, which ebncloses the box, giving it a station-wagon like appearance.

The Bullbar you show was fairly typical of Hiluxes of that era sold here, I had one but replaced it with something else. I'm sure you would find something similar in Sweden, ARB probably about the best of the International brands.

I can't imagine a more dreary colour than grey :shock: , but it might look better in the flesh than it sounds. Please try post a picture of it here, would love to see it, I have never seen a grey Hilux! :D

All the bodies should be the same length, just the 'load box' area would change. My preferences are for a 4-door double cab or even a 2 door 2+2 seat model, there is not much room to store anything in a normal single cab (2-door, s-seater), but that is a personal choice.

Warn winches are excellent, but there are a few Chinese clones of the Warn which seem to work well at less than half the price (here in SA, anyway.)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

Family_Dog wrote:Hello Per, and welcome to the Forum (which now has its first International member!)

Is the Hilux a 4x4 model? 16,000km means that the vehicle is not even run in yet, a real beauty!

The 'box' - not sure if you mean what we call a 'bak' or a 'load box', or a Canopy, which ebncloses the box, giving it a station-wagon like appearance.

The Bullbar you show was fairly typical of Hiluxes of that era sold here, I had one but replaced it with something else. I'm sure you would find something similar in Sweden, ARB probably about the best of the International brands.

I can't imagine a more dreary colour than grey :shock: , but it might look better in the flesh than it sounds. Please try post a picture of it here, would love to see it, I have never seen a grey Hilux! :D

All the bodies should be the same length, just the 'load box' area would change. My preferences are for a 4-door double cab or even a 2 door 2+2 seat model, there is not much room to store anything in a normal single cab (2-door, s-seater), but that is a personal choice.

Warn winches are excellent, but there are a few Chinese clones of the Warn which seem to work well at less than half the price (here in SA, anyway.)

-F_D
Thank you for the nice welcome. First international member eh? I feel chosen :lol:

Yes, it's a 4x4 low/hi and no, I don't mean 16,000 miles, I mean 160, 000 miles :lol: Don't know if we have the same system for measuring length but here in sweden a 160k hilux is unusual, the most are around 200-250.

At the moment I work so much that I haven't time to take a picture (60+ hours a week) but tomorrow I got some time to spare. Hopefully it's outside and not in the garage (bad picture).

Terrainparts and aftermarketparts is rarely sold here. We got the culture "flat road, go fast as hell and faster in the corners." Well, except of the other culture which is "go as fast as possible in a car wich has no brakes at all", that's why I drive a porsche 944 though I love the hilux.

I will look for some bars and a nice winch, going to make this to a real terrainmonster, but, hmm, right, it was,,,grey :roll:

Anyway, it's a 2+2 (2 door), I like it cause you got some extra space inside, maybe for the dog.

I will ensure you, this topic is going to be full of questions :oops:
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hay Maverick

Welcome to the forum :mrgreen: Sounds like you have a chance to buy a really great vehicle please post some pics 8)
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

By the way Maverick we also like to drive fast here though our speed limit is 129km/h I work at a BMW dealer here in south africa so I get to drive all the fast cars like M5`s, M6`s and M3`s I have a 320d as well as my Hilux does about 235km/h which is like 140mph fastest trip ever done was Port Elizabeth to Cape Town 4hours45mins distance of about 750km :mrgreen: But I love my Hilux more :mrgreen:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Oops make that 120km/h speed limit :oops:
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Welcome, when I drive my Hilux off-road, the speedo does not even register, however I am doing 2 500 to 3000 revs, want to check the actual speed with my GPS sometime :wink:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Simon when you comming down to P.E. so we can all get to gether and go play sometime :?:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Hi Per

Welcome to our forum. Toyota Hilux trucks is very capable off-road, they go where other 4x4's struggle to go. If I compare my Hilux with my fancy Pajero with diflocks etc. the Hilux can idle over or through obstacles where the Pajero has to give up.

Therefore,I doubt if you need a winch. It is more needed by people doing hardcore off-roading. Rather spend the winch budget on a decent after market suspension upgrade that will make you vehicle even more capable

Enjoy!!!
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Welcome to the site and enjoy
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

benhur wrote:Hi Per

Welcome to our forum. Toyota Hilux trucks is very capable off-road, they go where other 4x4's struggle to go. If I compare my Hilux with my fancy Pajero with diflocks etc. the Hilux can idle over or through obstacles where the Pajero has to give up.

Therefore,I doubt if you need a winch. It is more needed by people doing hardcore off-roading. Rather spend the winch budget on a decent after market suspension upgrade that will make you vehicle even more capable

Enjoy!!!
Hello!

You are probably right, I may not need a winch after all. Guess it's 50% the looks. The only thing is that here in sweden we get a lot of snow, helping people out without a winch is hard, but maybe a rope will be fine.

Searched for a bullbar though, expensive in Sweden so I might weld and build it with some contacts I have. Anyone have a sketch for the bullbar I was posting above?
Niel

Post by Niel »

Have a look at the following link maybe it helps. Simon's (Syron Conv) handy work.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=160
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Bennie made one as well, can't find the specific post, but here are some measurements. Although not quite the same as the one you are looking for, you could use the measurements, in conjunction with Simon's photos, as a basis from which to begin:
Measurements of BB.jpg
Here is my old BB, which seems to be the one you are after:
4x4 008 (NNP) Resize.jpg
And then it's replacement (from which the above measurements were taken):
NudgeM BB.jpg
-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

Family_Dog wrote:Bennie made one as well, can't find the specific post, but here are some measurements. Although not quite the same as the one you are looking for, you could use the measurements, in conjunction with Simon's photos, as a basis from which to begin:
The attachment Measurements of BB.jpg is no longer available
Here is my old BB, which seems to be the one you are after:
The attachment 4x4 008 (NNP) Resize.jpg is no longer available
And then it's replacement (from which the above measurements were taken):
The attachment NudgeM BB.jpg is no longer available
-F_D
Yupp, that's the one I mean!
I have a guy who can give me measurements on this; (the little picture)
Nearly looks the same, I think. Small picture but they didn't have a bigger one.

And now to the pictures! The car stood in the garage/barn so taking good photos was not possible.
It has some rust in the "wheelhouses" and on the backbumper, the rest is fine. And yes, the looks, well, horrible. I will maybe look for a white or black one (black = impossible). The one from back in the future 3 is simply stunning!
Attachments
DSC008999.jpg
DSC008994.jpg
DSC00901.jpg
DSC00893.jpg
g1207m.jpg
g1207m.jpg (2.75 KiB) Viewed 5585 times
Niel

Post by Niel »

The van is looking good but your angle photography is impressive
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

Niel wrote:The van is looking good but your angle photography is impressive
Looking good, are you crazy :shock:
Ye, I must apologize for the bad pictures, it was little space to move on.
Niel

Post by Niel »

I will wait for your other pictures to give comment if these pictures are that bad. I have looked at a number of Hiluxe's in my attempt to acquire one and this one still look in better condition than some of the ones I have seen. Maybe you are a better photographer than you think.
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

Niel wrote:I will wait for your other pictures to give comment if these pictures are that bad. I have looked at a number of Hiluxe's in my attempt to acquire one and this one still look in better condition than some of the ones I have seen. Maybe you are a better photographer than you think.
I can take new on monday, will able to drive the car out from the barn.
Until then, what suggestions do you guys have to improve the looks?

New rims or polish the old ones, bigger tires (don't know how the other set of rims look like yet), BB, got a cheap and good winch, fix the minor rust, put on some stickers, remove the canopy and replace with a welded rollcage like "SYRON CONVERSIONS" have (I think). Or maybe keep the canopy, hmm.

That's what I have in mind so far.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

From the last picture, it looks like the 'van is sporting 16" wheels, or is that from the angle the photo is taken.

I don't think the Hilux Club cab of that yeart was ever sold here, looks quite nice!

-F_D

Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

Family_Dog wrote:From the last picture, it looks like the 'van is sporting 16" wheels, or is that from the angle the photo is taken.

I don't think the Hilux Club cab of that yeart was ever sold here, looks quite nice!

-F_D
Anyone got pictures of those rims in good condition?

Does SYRON CONVERSIONS welded rollcage in the back suit with a canopy if i want to put that on some time?
BB
Winch
Stickers
Rust
Rims and tyres
Rollcage at the back.

And when the time is here, I will put an aftermarket suspension system on.

Looks nice, still believe in santa? ;)
Niel

Post by Niel »

Add some rocksliders and remove the canopy add some spots/driving lights to the roll bar
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

Niel wrote:Add some rocksliders and remove the canopy add some spots/driving lights to the roll bar
Good ide, something like this?;
http://www.stubbswelding.com/rocksliders.htm
standard version.

Hope that they can ship to sweden and the what the cost will be.
Niel

Post by Niel »

Yes, like that.
Also have a look at the following post on this site:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=207 This is what Pieter and a firend put together. I can't remember if there are any further posts onthis topic.
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

Niel wrote:Yes, like that.
Also have a look at the following post on this site:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=207 This is what Pieter and a firend put together. I can't remember if there are any further posts onthis topic.
Nice one!
Should the rocksliders just protect the "sides" or shall it continue underneath the car? It seems so if you look at the webpage I posted above. maybe it's just the weldingpoints there? Hope you'll understand my question.

So, now I got three thing so weld, BB, rocksliders and rollcage, phew.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Maverick

No, the sliders normally only protect the bodywork and connect the way as in the picture. Even the imported once is meant to work that way. I have seen pictures of some guys that welded them directly onto the chassis rails (at the sides) but it is better to make brackets to bolt them on so that they can be replaced if necessary without cutting and rewedding on the chassis.

If you were to make pipes that run under the chassis from side to side it would decrease your vehicle's ground clearance and break over angle and these pipes might be in the way of the rear propshaft as well.

These Toyotas' underbellies are constructed in such a way that the critical components are normally out of harms way, but if you convert your vehilce into a serious rock crawler like the guys in the states do you can add some under 'belly armour". It normally cinsists of stronger bash plates under the sump and extending it all the way to (or even past) the cross member that the gearbox rests on. They also weld extra plates onto the differentials to protect it against rocks.

If you really like a black Hilux that much why don't you have it resprayed? In SA black is not a good option as you will be cremated in your own "furnace on wheels" if you drive a black Hilux. The silver/grey is actually a good option s it does not show the scratches and marks you pick up in the bush that easy.

Our Hiluxes normally get used what they are intended for (in the bush) so scrapes and little marks are inevitable, but there are a lot of the new (Virgo) shape Hiluxes that drive around these days in SA A lot of them is fitted with all the nice :? pimp your ride - bling-bling on like 21 inch rims and ultra low profile tyres, lots of chrome and 6 spot lights on the roll bar etc. but these ones can not go off-road as you will damage them to much, so it is all about the looks. :twisted: :twisted:
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

benhur wrote:Maverick

No, the sliders normally only protect the bodywork and connect the way as in the picture. Even the imported once is meant to work that way. I have seen pictures of some guys that welded them directly onto the chassis rails (at the sides) but it is better to make brackets to bolt them on so that they can be replaced if necessary without cutting and rewedding on the chassis.

If you were to make pipes that run under the chassis from side to side it would decrease your vehicle's ground clearance and break over angle and these pipes might be in the way of the rear propshaft as well.

These Toyotas' underbellies are constructed in such a way that the critical components are normally out of harms way, but if you convert your vehilce into a serious rock crawler like the guys in the states do you can add some under 'belly armour". It normally cinsists of stronger bash plates under the sump and extending it all the way to (or even past) the cross member that the gearbox rests on. They also weld extra plates onto the differentials to protect it against rocks.

If you really like a black Hilux that much why don't you have it resprayed? In SA black is not a good option as you will be cremated in your own "furnace on wheels" if you drive a black Hilux. The silver/grey is actually a good option s it does not show the scratches and marks you pick up in the bush that easy.

Our Hiluxes normally get used what they are intended for (in the bush) so scrapes and little marks are inevitable, but there are a lot of the new (Virgo) shape Hiluxes that drive around these days in SA A lot of them is fitted with all the nice :? pimp your ride - bling-bling on like 21 inch rims and ultra low profile tyres, lots of chrome and 6 spot lights on the roll bar etc. but these ones can not go off-road as you will damage them to much, so it is all about the looks. :twisted: :twisted:
I see, so I guess that the link with Pieter and he's friend is a good solution. Is it possible to get some measurements from him?
The advice I got from a guy is to use "RHS i 60x40x5". It doesn't say anything to me (I'm a carpenter, joiner).

Pieter used "We used 76mm pipe with a 3.2mm wall thickness. This is some "schedule" pipe, it is seamless and very strong. For the brackets we used 50mmx8mm flat bar."
Did he make a good choise?

What type of material shall you use for the BB and what to the rollcage (like SYRON CONVERSIONS has).

With the materialissues sorted and some measurements i can get right away to create those things.

Syron conversions; Can you put your canopy on when the rollcage is assembled?

About making the hilux black is a hard choice. My porsche is black and it's a hell keeping it clean. I can only guess how hard it's going to be with an offroad vehicle.
Summary; Black is a very suitable color for a hilux if your are not going offroad. I will, therefor keep it grey.
SYRON CONVERSIONS

I do not use a canopy, I have a Rhino Canvas cover that covers over the front of the front roll bar, it also has a windown in the middle front section, thus I could see out the rear, but not in this case due to the small sparewheel at the rear that is mounted on the roll bar, this cover is then bolted down with allen bolts along the front ontop of the front roll bar, I have captive nuts welded to the top rail of the round section of the roll bar, I then just tie it down along the sides and then it goes over the rear roll bar and gets tied down as well, the rear end is open, I do not get rain inside, I do not use it much.

A canopy on a 4x4 Bakkie does not suit my needs.

The rock sliders that I have on my Hilux are in fact Welded onto the sides of the chassis, I have used and abused them many times and they have not given me any problems, they do their job 100% correct.

To cut or weld on the chassis is not a problem for me, if you know what you are doing and have the correct tools for the job, most things are possible, a Plazma Cutter is used more times than an angle grinder or gas torch.

I still prefer White as the main colour on my Hilux, but everybody to their preference.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

SYRON CONVERSIONS wrote:I do not use a canopy, I have a Rhino Canvas cover that covers over the front of the front roll bar, it also has a windown in the middle front section, thus I could see out the rear, but not in this case due to the small sparewheel at the rear that is mounted on the roll bar, this cover is then bolted down with allen bolts along the front ontop of the front roll bar, I have captive nuts welded to the top rail of the round section of the roll bar, I then just tie it down along the sides and then it goes over the rear roll bar and gets tied down as well, the rear end is open, I do not get rain inside, I do not use it much.
You got a picture when the cover is assembled?

I need a collcage that I don't need to dissemble if i want to put on the ugly black canopy sometime.
A rollcage small enough to fit in the canopy. Though it may look horrible when the cage is smaller then it should be due to the heightproblem when a canopy is mounted.
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Will have to take a photo, but my wife has my camera with her and she is away on holiday for another two weeks, but if you are wanting a roll cage, then fit your canopy, then manufacture your own system that can fit inside the canopy, but use suitable material that can substain a full roll over of your vehicle.

simoan
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Per
Welcome to the site.What motor is in the Hilux?
If I am not mistaking it is the same looking body as mine.I just have the Double Cab.
Does yours also have a solid axle in front?
bb1 (Medium).JPG
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

george wrote:Hi Per
Welcome to the site.What motor is in the Hilux?
If I am not mistaking it is the same looking body as mine.I just have the Double Cab.
Does yours also have a solid axle in front?
bb1 (Medium).JPG
Hello!

The solid ones, wasn't that from 98 and onwards?

I got a guy that can make the rocksliders, but just the tube. Expensive piece, especially the 3mm one.
He can't make the brackets though.

What size on the rollbar/cage shall I have (the one behind the cabin)?
3"? 3½"?
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

Going to buy the BB and winch in a few days, the bb was kind of cheap so manufacture it by my self was not an option.

The tubes for the rocksliders is going to be made next week, brackets when I find someone that can make it.

Waiting for spec for the cage, but that will probably be done next month. Money is running low.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Enjoy

I think half the fun of 4x4ing is in the modifications of your vehicle to suite your requirement and testing it out afterwards. :wink:
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Benhur you are 100% correct, this is why when some other vehicle type dude thinks that he or she is clever and tells or asks me

how come do I have to do all these mods to my Hilux to be able to use it off-road?

We do it, we do the mods because we can, we enjoy doing them, we enjoy seeing what ideas, what we can manufacture ourselves, what we can improve apon etc etc :)

The problem with most other 4x4 vehicle's, they are very limited to what mods can be done to them and I think that the various Jeep models can also be modded similar to our Hilux's

simoan
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

Is it usual to change the low gear ratio?

Here it seems a little bit high for the Swedish conditions.
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

The car is back from a inspection at a car workshop, nothing wrong with the car.
No rust except the wheelhouse at the back.
Something was leaking, but that's not a problem.

The only thing was that the clutch only had 1 year to go, it was a little worn-out.

I'll thing I'm going to buy it for 2700 euros.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Maverick wrote:The car is back from a inspection at a car workshop, nothing wrong with the car.
No rust except the wheelhouse at the back.
Something was leaking, but that's not a problem.

The only thing was that the clutch only had 1 year to go, it was a little worn-out.

I'll thing I'm going to buy it for 2700 euros.
It's a Hilux, there cannot be anything wrong with it :P :P

Go for it, and enjoy Living! And post plenty of pics whenevr you start modding it.

-F_D

Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

No buy, I'm going so search for a better and more expensive one.

May take a look at this;
http://www.blocket.se/vi/13237882.htm?ca=11_s
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

Maverick wrote:No buy, I'm going so search for a better and more expensive one.

May take a look at this;
http://www.blocket.se/vi/13237882.htm?ca=11_s
Sold, but I have another one now, cheaper -95, not so high milage, the paint looks very good (red) without any scratches, 8 rims with tires etc.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

No Pictures? :wink:

I hope you get what you are looking for soon.
Bogoms
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape town
Vehicle: 1998 Hilux SFA SC

Post by Bogoms »

Hi all, i am new to the forum, I have just purchased a 1998 single cab 22R SFA hilux.
It needs some work . Have few issues to sort out to get through roadworthy. But All worth it i think .
Niel

Post by Niel »

Hi Bogoms

Welcome to the forum and enjoy, also interresting name. how abought and introduction under meet the people?
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

What's the difference between a hilux and VW taro except the brandingmarks?
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Maverick wrote:What's the difference between a hilux and VW taro except the brandingmarks?
None, really. Read the following from http://www.brian894x4.com/Hiluxgeneration3.html

The 1989 - 1997 VW Taro (European Hilux)

In 1989, Toyota struck an agreement with VW to produce all of it's Toyota pick-ups and sell them in Europe.
The deal was a win/win for both parties. VW never had a decent pick-up and Toyota was having a hard time
selling Japanese made trucks in Europe. To allow the trucks to be manufactured in Europe would help sales
and get by some government restrictions. The trade off was that the trucks would not be badged as Toyotas.
Instead they were badged as VWs. But they were were Toyotas in every sense of the name. The trucks
were nearly identical to their 1989-1997 Hilux counterpart and as with the Hilux they retained the solid front
axle. All of the parts were Toyota designed and many were Toyota made. These VW Taro trucks were sold
all over Europe, including the United Kingdom, France and Germany. In 1998 Toyota introduced an all new
body style and suspension for the Hilux. It was determined not to continue with the VW production and
nameplate because of lagging sales. Today, the European Toyota is once again called the Hilux and
produced by Toyota. It is the same 1998-2003 Hilux found in the rest of the world, except North America.
But sales still lag. Europe is one of the smallest Hilux markets in the world.

-F_D

Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

Family_Dog wrote:
Maverick wrote:What's the difference between a hilux and VW taro except the brandingmarks?
None, really. Read the following from http://www.brian894x4.com/Hiluxgeneration3.html

The 1989 - 1997 VW Taro (European Hilux)

In 1989, Toyota struck an agreement with VW to produce all of it's Toyota pick-ups and sell them in Europe.
The deal was a win/win for both parties. VW never had a decent pick-up and Toyota was having a hard time
selling Japanese made trucks in Europe. To allow the trucks to be manufactured in Europe would help sales
and get by some government restrictions. The trade off was that the trucks would not be badged as Toyotas.
Instead they were badged as VWs. But they were were Toyotas in every sense of the name. The trucks
were nearly identical to their 1989-1997 Hilux counterpart and as with the Hilux they retained the solid front
axle. All of the parts were Toyota designed and many were Toyota made. These VW Taro trucks were sold
all over Europe, including the United Kingdom, France and Germany. In 1998 Toyota introduced an all new
body style and suspension for the Hilux. It was determined not to continue with the VW production and
nameplate because of lagging sales. Today, the European Toyota is once again called the Hilux and
produced by Toyota. It is the same 1998-2003 Hilux found in the rest of the world, except North America.
But sales still lag. Europe is one of the smallest Hilux markets in the world.

-F_D
So, probably just the brandingmarks. Got a nice taro, will check it out this week.
If I buy it I will probably change the brandingmarks to toyota 8) :lol:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Some more info here too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Taro

Seems it was only available in Diesel in Europe (can you confirm this?). This might be why the Hilux did/does not do that well in Europe, the 2.4D, as reliable as it is, is certainly no racing car! Imagine if it kicked off in Europe as it has everywhere else in the world... Toyota might then still be producing SFA's due to popular demand :mrgreen:

-F_D

Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

Family_Dog wrote:Some more info here too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Taro

Seems it was only available in Diesel in Europe (can you confirm this?). This might be why the Hilux did/does not do that well in Europe, the 2.4D, as reliable as it is, is certainly no racing car! Imagine if it kicked off in Europe as it has everywhere else in the world... Toyota might then still be producing SFA's due to popular demand :mrgreen:

-F_D
Not confirmed!
This is a r22, 2,4 patrol (well, the registrationpaper sais it at least)
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Bogoms wrote:Hi all, i am new to the forum, I have just purchased a 1998 single cab 22R SFA hilux.
It needs some work . Have few issues to sort out to get through roadworthy. But All worth it i think .

Hi Ryan,

Oops... never noticed your first post hidden here :shock:

Welcome to the forum, but please post again in the "Meet the People" thread, and also about your Hilux undrr "Members Rides".

We are all Hilux-crazy here and we never get tired of looking at Hiluxes! :mrgreen:

-F_D

Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

I got one more question by the way. I see that some people have that squarish wheelarches and some have those smooth ones.

The attached is squarish and the link is smooth. Was that a facelift or is it some kind of option? Is it possible to convert into squarish ones?

http://www.blocket.se/vi/11537143.htm?ca=11_s

EDIT; The attached is from "back to the future 3", that car is my goal considering the looks.
Attachments
bscap0005.jpg
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Over the years there was a few face lifts including the "square fenders"
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

benhur wrote:Over the years there was a few face lifts including the "square fenders"
Is the squares buyable at a toyota retailer?
What years was the facelift including the squares and is it possible to convert? (like previous post)

EDIT; Yes, they are!
But i can only find the frontfender though.
My search continues.
Attachments
8123311.jpg

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”