Various white apoxy painted white wheel rims be aware.

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Various white apoxy painted white wheel rims be aware.

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Hello all, please be aware that when you are looking to buy some steel rims for your Hilux (can also be for a Landrover etc :twisted: ) you may find a supplier where you think you are getting a great price, thinking that it is a great deal 8) , but be warned, it depends on what application you want to use the rims for, some of these rims that are manufactured are not strong, they crack.

I will never buy the cheap rims that are available for R200. odd rand each, when I bought my rims, yes I paid R600. each for them, they are 8J and known as Trail Dusters, these rims were imported via a friend in JHB from America, this is why they cost more, but I have peace of mind knowing that they will not let me down with cracking when off-roading, if you do not believe me, please give Guy Heritage a call and ask him yourself on his cell
082 555 4998.

Guy suppliers 4x4 mod stuff for mainly Toyota & Jeep vehicles, he imports a lot of stuff as well.

When I was busy looking for rims, I even mentioned these cheapy rims that are available, he said that he would never consider selling these type to me, if I wanted them, then I would have to buy them myself.

Thus if you are looking for rims for your Hilux, please make sure that you buy the correct type that will be suitable for your vehicle, yes you can buy them for your 2wd bakkie for normal tar and gravel use, but be warned. Or buy the cheap rims and be :x
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

some photo's of these rims Spare Set of 8 J's

Below photo showing the inner side of the rim.

1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Rite1
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Rite1 »

Hey there Syron

I have 235/85/16 Mud Terrain Tyres on my standard steel rims that are supplied with the new hilux. I would like to buy these trail dusters that you have. Would you be able to tell me if those tyres will fit onto that rim? I noticed that they are six stud and that is exactly what i need.

ps : Mean hilux you got there.
EX :05 2.7VVT-i SRX S/C , 29MHZ Radio , Warn M8000 , Hella Dynaview Spots , National Luna Dual Battery & Contoller , BFGMT 16" , Garmin Quest

08 3.0D4D TUNA, 29MHZ RADIO (P21), Warn M8000, Hella Rally Spots, National Luna Dual Battery & Controller, Full Iron Man Suspension, Engel 40lt, 500w & 150w Inverter, Garmin Quest & Nuvi 500, Ipod Prep
SYRON CONVERSIONS

rims

Hello, first if all your 16" tyres will not fit onto these 15" rims, you can contact Guy Heritage direct and I am sure that he will be able to supply you with 16" rims like these. his number is above, these rims that are shown in the photo's are spares.

Yes my Hilux does look coool, thank's :)

simoan
d4d
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell Cape Town
Vehicle: 1996 2.4P Raider DC Hilux

Post by d4d »

I just had 4x 8J 15" Rimms fitted for R1392, Balancing, 24 new Chrome nuts and Chrome rear center domes included.

The product is from the original Supplier in South Africa (A-Line)

Rims was supplied via reputable outlet Auto Quip in Cape Town.
I bought my previous set 8J's also from them 5 years ago which
I had on my S/C 4x4 Lux. Had no problems with my Rims with
regards to Cracking.

This is at least a less expensive (non-imported) option. R348 per Rim, balance, nuts etc inclusive. Closest Quote per set was R1650.

Greets

D4D
1996 SFA Hilux DC 2.4P 4x4
2005 D4D 2.5 SRX DC 4x4 - SOLD
1988 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 HT - SOLD
1993 SFA Hilux SC 2.4D 4x4 - SOLD
SYRON CONVERSIONS

rims

d4d Thankyou for the input and info, yes there are other rims that a person can buy, but what type of 4x4ing do you do, what rating out of 5.

Thankyou :)

simoan
d4d
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: Various white apoxy painted white wheel rims be aware.

Post by d4d »

Hi there, I do the normal ave 4x4'ing trails and overland trips.
Between my and prev hilux with the white rims fitted, we covered a few
trails rated 3-4. Some 5 obsticles but that was mainly due to water and deep mud sections.
most of the trails we prefer is rock and mountain trials.

We also did Kaokoland, Van zyls, rest of NAM, and my prev lux my friend
also done NAM, Van Zyls, malawi, Zambia, Caprivi and Also recently the remote parts of Angola where major potholes are the road.

I'm also originally from NAM, and all over farmers and people use this white rims on farm bakkies, overland rigs and would assume most is locally bought.

How many cases has been reported of these stuff cracking, must be really shitty quality if it cracks under normal offroading. I mean the right way of doing it is by Crawl speed where your deflated tyres take most of the shock. I would also imagine that something else will rather break before a Rim crack. So its either extremly poor quality or extreme abuse.

Do they crack at the hub/nut section of on the welds ?

When used in extreme cases like 4x4 Challenge etc, then thats why the okes weld in the supports from the centre outwards ?
I would also imagine that a rim will rather bend that break.

Give some more feedback on the cases experienced. This is very interesting. Might be a good thing to try and find out if the rimms
you buy locally has an SABS rating.

Greets, Jacques
d4d
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: Various white apoxy painted white wheel rims be aware.

Post by d4d »

Hi Here is where my Rims comes from (A-Line)
Rim no 112, Also Called Trial Dusters......

http://www.a-linewheels.co.za/cgi-bin/a ... ll:All:All:

Greets

Jacques

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”