Replacement Bumper

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
Daydreams
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: Fortuner 3D4D 4x4

Replacement Bumper

Post by Daydreams »

Hi guys, just a question.

I am in the prosses of buying a Fortuner and would like to fit a replacement bumper (when my boat comes in) and was woundering if I would have to upgrade the suspession first. Cant see myself forking out bucs on both.

Your input would be great!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Replacement Bumper

Post by Mud Dog »

Suspension upgrade is one of the first priorities .... improves capability, handling and ride comfort. Fitting a heavy integrated BB on the old suspension will bring the nose down and also reduce approach / break-over angles and capability. IMO the standard suspension isn't up to the task and will have a shorter lifespan anyway. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi Stanley, here is my opinion, perhaps a cheaper option!

My wife's Tuna we fitted a replacement bumper and a winch. At the same time we fitted BF All terrain 265/75/16 as the road tyre's didn't do it for us. With the weight of the bumper there was evidence of nose drop and were advised by Toyota to fit 16mm spacers in front :thumbup: Which is exatly what we did, and worked 100%.

Then camE the off road trailer....not very heavily loaded and the rear dropped. Fitted Air helpers in the rear and still very happy today!

Will I do it again? For sure :!: So no need to spend huge $$$ :thumbup:
SDC10142 (Medium).JPG
SDC10142 (Medium).JPG (50.17 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Daydreams

Post by Daydreams »

Hi guys, thanks for the advice.

Mark, very interesting idea about the spacers.
I to have a off road trailer, an Echo 3. The trailer doenst weight that much, try to keep it as light as pos. Should I be concerned about the standard shocks when towing it? Most of the time I head to the Cederberg +-150km good gravel roads. Am off the the Richtersveld next year and would like to be prepared. Last place I want to be stranded.

p.s I will have an Engel 40 in the back of the tuna
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Daydreams wrote:Hi guys, thanks for the advice.

Mark, very interesting idea about the spacers.
I to have a off road trailer, an Echo 3. The trailer doenst weight that much, try to keep it as light as pos. Should I be concerned about the standard shocks when towing it? Most of the time I head to the Cederberg +-150km good gravel roads. Am off the the Richtersveld next year and would like to be prepared. Last place I want to be stranded.

p.s I will have an Engel 40 in the back of the tuna
Stanley, imo the rear suspenson of the Tuna is quite poor :thumbdown: Just load a couple of thing in the back and your step mother and you will be driving nose up. The Air suspension have greatly exceeded my expectation. You can 'load' the Tuna 1 ton pump up the rear suspension and walla level and very sturdy!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

What's nice is the price, 2 years ago cost R2800 for the rear and R500 for fitment!

Link here:
http://www.saonline.co.za/Seller.php?USER=aispco" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daydreams

Post by Daydreams »

Hi Mark,

Really like the idea of the air helpers at the back. Would you recommend putting them in the front aswell? Or are the spacers good enough?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Spacers work just fine up front 16mm - 20mm, the helpers are wonderfull for load in the back and cost effective :thumbup: Mine have been in now for 3 years and I know of a couple of mates that have done the same and are very happy ;-)
Daydreams

Post by Daydreams »

As for inflating them, do you use a free standing compressor or is it built in. I would prefer to do the inflating from inside the vehicle.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Daydreams wrote:As for inflating them, do you use a free standing compressor or is it built in. I would prefer to do the inflating from inside the vehicle.
You can have that done but becomes pretty expensive.....

I opted for an external valve, just like a car valve which you can inflate and deflate either with a small compressor or at your local garage. The 'air bags' are relatively small so it really only take 5 seconds or so at the garage to fully inflate :thumbup:

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”