Some questions for a new Fortuner owner

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Totota Fortuner 2006 4.0 V6 4x4; Long Range fuel tank; AmadaXtreme suspension; C-Tek D250S dual battery system
Club VHF Licence: HC 141

Some questions for a new Fortuner owner

Post by ronnie »

I just recently sold my Hilux 2x4 and bought a 2006 Fortuner V6 4x4; and I'm loving it !!! I have a number of questions as I don't want to make the mistake of adding accessories or kitting out and then finding out afterwards it wa the wrong thing to do.

First of all, the 2006 models were some of those that had some lets call it stability issues. As I will also be towing a road caravan with the car I want to not take any chances. For overlanding trips I won't be loading too heavy so don't think a full suspension upgrade is necessary. Would the addition of airbags at the back help with towing the caravan and help with stability? If not is a full suspension upgrade the only way? Decent tyres will be the first thing to happen.

Has anyone fitted a packing system that can be removed when you need the third row of seats? I will sometimes need the third row but when overlanding I wopuld want to remove the third row. Any pics would be great...

As far as tyres are concerned do I stick with the 265x70x16 or do I go a bit bigger? The Fortuner already has an extra tank so the spare wheel is quite low; bit worried it may drag in thick sand.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Ronnie
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Some questions for a new Fortuner owner

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi Ronnie and welcome :thumbup:

With my wifes Tuna and towing an off-road trailer I could clearly see the problem. Rear was hanging and decided to fit air suspension! Best thing I ever spent money on. You can load a ton and still level
:!: With standard suspension still in.
Handling is better than before as the Tuna feels nice ans stable on the long road.

From day one I fitted BF All Terrain 265 / 75 / 16's. Never had a problem until we fitted a winch and bumper. Fitted 16mm spacers and on top of coils and this sorted the froblem out when turning as it catches the mudflap ever so slightly.
IMG_0002 (Small).JPG
IMG_0002 (Small).JPG (53.29 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Totota Fortuner 2006 4.0 V6 4x4; Long Range fuel tank; AmadaXtreme suspension; C-Tek D250S dual battery system

Post by ronnie »

Thanks OOOMS...very helpful indeed. Do you think the airbags will have the same effect towing a road caravan where the issue is not so much weight on towbar but more the sheer size of the caravan; I tow a 6.5m caravan :shock: and if the wind picks up you know about it. We use a stabiliser which helps a lot but I am probably just a bit more cautious due to the number of roll overs with Fortuners towing caravans. Should the air bags make the rear more stable on the whole?

Thanks
Ronnie
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

ronnie wrote:Thanks OOOMS...very helpful indeed. Do you think the airbags will have the same effect towing a road caravan where the issue is not so much weight on towbar but more the sheer size of the caravan; I tow a 6.5m caravan :shock: and if the wind picks up you know about it. We use a stabiliser which helps a lot but I am probably just a bit more cautious due to the number of roll overs with Fortuners towing caravans. Should the air bags make the rear more stable on the whole?

Thanks
Ronnie
I would say abserlutely :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Best thing was the cost of having them fitted, suited my pocket!!!
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by ronnie »

Awesome...exactly what I was hoping to hear. Have you fitted a packing system in your Tuna or do you use the third row of seats?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

ronnie wrote:Awesome...exactly what I was hoping to hear. Have you fitted a packing system in your Tuna or do you use the third row of seats?
No just permanently have the seats removed. Packing is a bit of an issue in the back, so that is why we use the DC :thumbup: OR tow a trailer.....
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by ronnie »

Ok thanks for all the info. At first glance i cant see how a removable packing system can work but i will be patient and see if someone has had some success
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Bel vir Petrus, hy is in Brackenfell, sy v6 Fortuner het alles op wat jy wil doen. o82 564 6499
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Petou
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6

Post by Petou »

Ronnie

Jy is welkom om my te skakel en na my voertuig te kom kyk.Ek is in die omgewing en kan dit reel vir na ure ook.
0825646499 Petrus
Snorkel,chip,burnco front bumper
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Petou wrote:Ronnie

Jy is welkom om my te skakel en na my voertuig te kom kyk.Ek is in die omgewing en kan dit reel vir na ure ook.
0825646499 Petrus
Petrus, kan jy dalk 'n paar pics laai van jou setup en hoe jy dit gedoen het?
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by ronnie »

Dankie Petrus, ek sal graag wil sien hoe dit lyk.

OOOMS, what brand of air suspension did you fit in the Fortuner?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

ronnie wrote:Dankie Petrus, ek sal graag wil sien hoe dit lyk.

OOOMS, what brand of air suspension did you fit in the Fortuner?
Fitted Air-Springs supply, Firestone

http://www.assc.co.za/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by ronnie »

Hi OOOMS

Suddenly realised I never asked you whether you need to install air suspension all round or just in the rear :confused: Probably a stupid question but I don't know much about air suspension. Just know that with the pickups you only need to install in rear...
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

ronnie wrote:Hi OOOMS

Suddenly realised I never asked you whether you need to install air suspension all round or just in the rear :confused: Probably a stupid question but I don't know much about air suspension. Just know that with the pickups you only need to install in rear...
You can install all round, however we opted for the rear only.

There are a couple of 'fitting' options available. We chose the 'one valve' system. Where you pump up the air bags that are joined with a t-piece. Was the cheapest and most practical imo.

You can have an on board gauge with built in compressor with switch but once again not worth the extra moola's.

x2 airbags rear was around R3k 2.5 years ago, fitted.
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by ronnie »

Great, thanks for the help. Will get pricing for 2 x rear airbags...
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Ronnie, there is a nice article in the WegRy August 2011 edition, bladsy 60

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”