Fortuner clutch 3.0 D4D

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
Coenraad21
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Fortuner 3.0 D4D
Club VHF Licence: X103

Fortuner clutch 3.0 D4D

Post by Coenraad21 »

While preparing our Conquerors for the long December trip over the weekend my good friend Louis mentioned that my clutch is very low and that I should probably have it checked before we go December.

Now the detail is as follows:
1. I am not very good with the mechanical side of cars :crazy:
2. I need some one I can trust for an opinion on:
a. need replacement;
b. factory fault (just outside warranty i.e. 10,000km);
c. cost of replacement.

Any suggestions? :beg:
Coenraad
Coenraad
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Fortuner clutch 3.0 D4D

Post by OOOOMS »

Coenraad, if it is out of warantee Toy won't even look at it.

Towing a trailer I would not risk it! Replace if in doubt....

Not to expensive around R3k. Search the forum quick there are resent posts on the above
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Coenraad , a clutch that takes very low is not always a sign of a worn clutch plate. Usually a worn plate will take right at the top. Your problem sounds more like hydraulics or weak pressure plate (less likely). First check the level of hydraulic oil (it uses normal brake fluid) in your 'clutch fluid' reservoir (It's mounted on top of the clutch master cylinder). Also check around the master cylinder for leaks and against the fire-wall where it' mounted, as well as inside the cab under the dash where the linkage from the clutch pedal goes through to the master cylinder.

Get someone to depress the clutch pedal while you watch the amount of movement on the clutch fork at the slave cylinder on the bell housing, ... if there is full travel, then it's not a hydraulic problem, and more likely the pressure plate. In that case, replace both clutch plate and pressure plate as well as the release bearing (the box has to come out). Also check the spigot bearing for wear. Put some Copper-Slip on the tip of the spigot shaft when replacing the box.

Hopefully it's just something small like the hydraulics. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Coenraad21
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: Fortuner 3.0 D4D
Club VHF Licence: X103

Post by Coenraad21 »

Thanks all for the advice. I will ask Ldll to help with this, I sort of know where the engine is :lol: the rest is dangerous teritory for me...and all the talk of "the box must come out" :banned:
Coenraad
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

We all need to start somewhere, but perhaps this is not the best starting point for you. :D:

Hope your problem will be resolved without too much expense. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
louis fourie
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Coenraad21 wrote:Thanks all for the advice. I will ask Ldll to help with this, I sort of know where the engine is :lol: the rest is dangerous teritory for me...and all the talk of "the box must come out" :banned:
Coenraad

Dalk moet jy maar more gou 'n draai kom maak sodat ons kan kyk. Sal besig wees met Charlie se rockslider fitment, maar die check sal nie te lank vat nie

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”