Fortuner Coils

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
Ferris Bueller
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: Fortuner

Fortuner Coils

Post by Ferris Bueller »

I have a 2008 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 d4d 4x4.Bought it brand new in 2008.At around 38000 km I installed Old Man Emu shock al around,nothing wrong with the Toyota shock I had.just put in Old Man Emo for better road holding.On 45000 km my fortuner started to get bounsy in front and has a swimmy ride.It also looked if the front end had dropped a little.Much lower in front as at the rear.Took it back to where I bought the shocks.They gave me 2 new shock in front and still the same.Took the shocks out again and tested the front coils and they were collapsed.After 45000 km on the clock my front coils had collapsed and have not done offroad with it at all.Just normal driving.To fix this problem I installed Old Man Emu coils all around. Anyone of you who own a fortuner,let your coils check,It might save you form an axident. Has anyone of you experience this problem?? From my point of view coils are supposed to last the lifespan of your car,not just 45000 km under normal driving.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Fortuner Coils

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi Marthinus and welcome :thumbup:

So what you are saying is OME are no good? What garantee do they give or supposed to?
Ferris Bueller
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: Fortuner

Post by Ferris Bueller »

OME is very good,that is what helped me fix my prob.My toyota coils are no good,45000 km and they collaped.Fit OME and problem solved.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Sorry misread your first post as to when you replaced shocks and coils.

Strange, my Fortuner also a 2008 with over 80 000km standard suspension all round except have air helpers in the rear seem to be fine. Will have 'em checked when she goes in for the next service.

And she has been to Tanzania, Malawi and a few other places :thumbup:

But tx, have never heard of similar problem.
Mikem1
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Isuzu 3.0 D-tec

Post by Mikem1 »

Hi Guys
I seem to think differently on this as first how were the coils tested to determine that they collapsed?a load tester is the only way you can check and not every workshop has one.
Second did you know that there are 4 different rating coils which come out std on the fortuners bar diameter varies from 15.5mm to 16.3 as well as the free heights of the coils vary and these are std toyota specs this also play a critical role in the ride height as the std ratings vary.
I personally have never seen a frotuner spring that has collapsed yet from normal driving etc.Overloaded yes abused yes.
Regards
Darrell
Mikem Suspensions
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

adrenalind wrote:Hi Guys
I seem to think differently on this as first how were the coils tested to determine that they collapsed?a load tester is the only way you can check and not every workshop has one.
Second did you know that there are 4 different rating coils which come out std on the fortuners bar diameter varies from 15.5mm to 16.3 as well as the free heights of the coils vary and these are std toyota specs this also play a critical role in the ride height as the std ratings vary.
I personally have never seen a frotuner spring that has collapsed yet from normal driving etc.Overloaded yes abused yes.
Regards
Darrell
Mikem Suspensions
Tx Darrell, thought as much :thumbup:
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Thanks Darrel,

Now, can we start working on you about that...uhm Izusu???
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”