Fortuner Brakes

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
4tuna
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: 4.0 V6 4Tuna

Fortuner Brakes

Post by 4tuna »

Hi all so my Tuna that i just bought has been back to the dealer twice so far, three days this week and still not right,

Has anyone had this problem before, when braking on hot disks, slow braking, something gives a teribble vibration and almost like a grinding sound, you can feel it on the pedal and steering,

They have skimmed the disks and not sure what else,

I am going to take it back for the third time, just wanted to get a rough idea maybe i could tell them what to fix

Soon soon i am going to throw the CPA at them and get refunded,

Hope someone can help

Thanks
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: '05 LEGEND 35 2.7 DC 4x4, Monroe Gas allround, Long range tank, UniQ Chip. Platkar '06 Polo 1.6 Comfortline hatchback

Re: Fortuner Brakes

Post by SWARTLUX »

4tuna wrote:Hi all so my Tuna that i just bought has been back to the dealer twice so far, three days this week and still not right,

Has anyone had this problem before, when braking on hot disks, slow braking, something gives a teribble vibration and almost like a grinding sound, you can feel it on the pedal and steering,

They have skimmed the disks and not sure what else,

I am going to take it back for the third time, just wanted to get a rough idea maybe i could tell them what to fix

Soon soon i am going to throw the CPA at them and get refunded,

Hope someone can help

Thanks
Ask them to fit new discs as it is possible that the ones currently on has warped.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Al wat ek ook kan dink is 'n fabrieks fout dat die abs sensor op die aste nie presies geseat het waar hulle moet wees nie so die ABS wil wil dalk aktiveer of iets
To God be the glory
4tuna
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4tuna »

it doesn't sound like ABS, they said the disks are new, but we know what dealerships are like,

I will return it tomorrow and see what they say
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: '05 LEGEND 35 2.7 DC 4x4, Monroe Gas allround, Long range tank, UniQ Chip. Platkar '06 Polo 1.6 Comfortline hatchback

Post by SWARTLUX »

4tuna wrote:it doesn't sound like ABS, they said the disks are new, but we know what dealerships are like,

I will return it tomorrow and see what they say
Andre,

Read this on the 4x4 comm seems as if its the same you are experiencing?

"Did 70000km and toyota skimmed the disks to get rid of a shudder under braking.
on 80000km (last week) they replaced the disks as they were near minimum. I should have checked myself but didn't. The pads (replaced and left in car for me) though still looked good. about 5mm still there.

I think too much was taken off while skimming to get rid of the warp and I should have asked them to replace.

BTW the shudder is completely gone, was warped disks."
4tuna
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4tuna »

that does sound like it, will demand new disks then, thank you
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by SWARTLUX »

4tuna wrote:that does sound like it, will demand new disks then, thank you
How many km's does your tuna have on?
4tuna
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4tuna »

almost 180k
4tuna
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4tuna »

okay she's back in lets see what are the results once again, i have also emailed the NCC, they say i have grounds for a refund,
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by SWARTLUX »

4tuna wrote:okay she's back in lets see what are the results once again, i have also emailed the NCC, they say i have grounds for a refund,
Keep us posted me thinks they did not replace the discs with new ones
4tuna
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4tuna »

SWARTLUX wrote:
4tuna wrote:okay she's back in lets see what are the results once again, i have also emailed the NCC, they say i have grounds for a refund,
will do just a bit upset with the quality of after sales service again, also the fuel leak they say they fixed, climbed in the car the next day to smell fuel,
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by SWARTLUX »

4tuna wrote:
SWARTLUX wrote:
will do just a bit upset with the quality of after sales service again, also the fuel leak they say they fixed, climbed in the car the next day to smell fuel,
Did you buy from a toyota dealer?If you did contact Toyota sa and tell them you are going to the CPA and also dont threate actually contact the CPA they will sort out your problem I myself have made use of them with great sucess
4tuna
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4tuna »

Hi I never got it from Toyota but still a reputable dealer, I have not mention to them about the CPA but have gone directly to the NCC, they asked me to email full details my details and the dealership, they will review the case and contact the dealer,I am getting the car back tomorrow, and I am gng to drive it more often than what I have, if I do find that the problems are still there, I will go ahead with the refund... Once you get hold of the national consumer commision they are actually a great help.

I just don't want to sit paying 6years on a vehicle and its going to cost me, this has not been a very good start either.
4tuna
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4tuna »

okay just an update i have the car back, seemed okay from the dealer, but will see on my way home what it feels like...
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by SWARTLUX »

Hope all is sorted now,Have they told you what the problem was and what they have replaced?
4tuna
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4tuna »

The manager of the dealership can't tell me exactly what they fixed so i called the mechanic, which can't find the job card to tell me what they fixed on the brakes either, it does feel better but will drive it daily now if i do experience the same problem, it will go back and will go back for good.
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by SWARTLUX »

4tuna wrote:The manager of the dealership can't tell me exactly what they fixed so i called the mechanic, which can't find the job card to tell me what they fixed on the brakes either, it does feel better but will drive it daily now if i do experience the same problem, it will go back and will go back for good.
That only means they never replaced the discs in the first place and tried to bull**it you the first time so they probablty replaced them now as they have seen you were not going to give up easilly.

If not happy return the car and ask for full refund and tell the dealer you are going to the CPA.Dont take the dealerships crap they are the ones desperate for sales and want you to think they are doing you a favour to let them help you that is unfortunatly the attitude of most car salesmen.
4tuna
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4tuna »

Brian, i will do just that, i have logged a case already with the NCC they say it takes three weeks or so before they will respond, if i have any more problems, ill drive to the dealership and park it there and demand a refund,

I am not going to loose out in 1/4 of a million RAND vehicle,
4tuna
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4tuna »

They replaces these as well
Attachments
IMG-20120117-00242.jpg
4tuna
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4tuna »

okay so an update, i had it with the service and requested for a refund, i was asked to come in a have meeting with the Sales Manager, he asked if he can try get this sorted properly once and for all,

I said final chance, the vehicle went back last week, they sent it to the agents, front disks pads, rear drums and shoes all original parts have been replaced, all seems good now, i have the old disks and you can see all is proper and new
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by SWARTLUX »

Pathetic service can't believe you had to go through such extreme measures in order to get the service you were supposed to get!

Unfortunatly that's the way secondhand car dealers opperate
4tuna
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4tuna »

SWARTLUX wrote:Pathetic service can't believe you had to go through such extreme measures in order to get the service you were supposed to get!

Unfortunatly that's the way secondhand car dealers opperate
I personally will never use that dealership again, and i have still 4 months of my six month grace period of returning goods according to the new Act, so i am driving it a lot now, to make sure all is good.
Duncan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 3.0 D4D Fortuner

Post by Duncan »

Hi Guys i also received my new seconhand Tuna the past Saturday also to find the brakes shuddering. I had them skimmed and pads replaced and its gone. The Dealer also didnt tell me it was in an accident i only found this out when i took it to our Panel Beater to get a quote on removing a few dents when he showed me where they fixed the problems. The panel Beater assured me that it wasnt a big accident but poor workmenship showed up in the paint work. I am no laymen and when i checked the vehicle before purchasing it i checked the gaps of the pannels checked factory welding and all seemed fine. I got a quote from the pannel beater of R26 600-00 to fix all the faults. I sent this to the dealer after a visit a day before telling them that i am going to take it to the Pannel Beater. The Salesmen phoned me today that i should come in and see them and then take the car into their Pannel Beaters to be fixed.
Fortune favours the brave.
~Publius Terence
I believe that being successful means having a balance of success stories across the many areas of your life. You can't truly be considered successful in your business life if your home life is in shambles.
Zig Ziglar
4tuna
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4tuna »

at least that's great service from the dealer, the probably never knew it was in an accident either,

Luckily mine is all good now, no hassles since they replaced all brakes

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”