Introduction.

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
Boomer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Fortuner

Introduction.

Post by Boomer »

Hi everyone, thought I'll introduce myself. I drive a Tuna V6 with a couple of mods. I am in the process of rigging the vehicle for a Botswana trip later this year. Any useful tips, this will be my first overland expedition.
Toyota Fortuner
4.0 V6 4x4
TJM Bumper, Snorkel, 16" BF Goodrich A/T, Stofpad Rock Sliders, EFS Elite Suspension, KC 6" Day Lighters, Frontrunner Roof Rack, Frontrunner Fridge Slide and Drawer System, LED Work Light, Duel Battery System.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Introduction.

Post by OOOOMS »

Welcome Charl! See you are from our valley :thumbup:

Pop in anytime, will assist where possible, in Roodekrans :thumbup:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Welcome Charl. Hope you enjoy it here
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Charl! :thumbup: :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Boomer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Boomer »

Thanks guys.
Toyota Fortuner
4.0 V6 4x4
TJM Bumper, Snorkel, 16" BF Goodrich A/T, Stofpad Rock Sliders, EFS Elite Suspension, KC 6" Day Lighters, Frontrunner Roof Rack, Frontrunner Fridge Slide and Drawer System, LED Work Light, Duel Battery System.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Boomer wrote:Hi everyone, thought I'll introduce myself. I drive a Tuna V6 with a couple of mods. I am in the process of rigging the vehicle for a Botswana trip later this year. Any useful tips, this will be my first overland expedition.
What mods have you done so far and what do you still need / want to do?
Boomer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Boomer »

OOOMS, this is where it gets tricky... :D:

Fitted:
TJM Bumper, Rock Sliders, Snorkel, EFS Suspension and BF A/T.

To my knowledge here is a list of must haves, pls correct me if its not important.

1. Duel Battery system C-Trek.
2. 80l-95l Fridge Snow Master
3. Roof Rack Frontrunner or Big Country
4. LR Tank 40 or 70l Frontrunner or Gerber 4x4 (still in two minds, size)
5. Spot Lights KC Day lighters 6"
6. Bash Plate Stofpad 4x4

Nice to haves are.

1. Spare Wheel Carrier Pricey but dependent on size LR tank fitted.
2. Mud Terrains To fit for over landing only.
3. Winch Don't see the need if one vehicle is equipped.

I really want to keep the Tuna as light as possible, that's why i am not considering a RTT or trailer. Fuel consumption is a headache so i have done a de-cat and will be fitting a uni-q chip Friday.
Toyota Fortuner
4.0 V6 4x4
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Boomer wrote:OOOMS, this is where it gets tricky... :D:

Fitted:

To my knowledge here is a list of must haves, pls correct me if its not important.

1. Duel Battery system C-Trek. or NL :thumbup:
2. 80l-95l Fridge Snow Master Space is a bit of an issue with the Tuna and a 80 / 95l will take up 70% of your packing space.
3. Roof Rack Frontrunner or Big Country Both are good!
4. LR Tank 40 or 70l Frontrunner or Gerber 4x4 (still in two minds, size) I have a 70l Front runner and no problems with it
5. Spot Lights KC Day lighters 6" :naah: LED or Bosh Navigators

6. Bash Plate Stofpad 4x4 Not critical, but nice to have :thumbup:

Nice to haves are.

1. Spare Wheel Carrier Pricey but dependent on size LR tank fitted. See mine
2. Mud Terrains To fit for over landing only. AT are more than sufficient
3. Winch Don't see the need if one vehicle is equipped. Agreed :thumbup:

I really want to keep the Tuna as light as possible, that's why i am not considering a RTT or trailer. Fuel consumption is a headache so i have done a de-cat and will be fitting a uni-q chip Friday.
Water tank, Hi-Lift jack, Awning, recovery gear?
Racing snake
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Randburg

Post by Racing snake »

Hi Charl, Welcome. Lots of very usefull info on this site. I also drive a Tuna, diesel. Also gearing up for a trip to Moremi, Savuti and Chobe in Oct. this year. I'm still hoping that Jacques will build me a sparewheel carrier like Mark's. Keep us informed on your progress with the project.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Racing snake wrote:Hi Charl, Welcome. Lots of very usefull info on this site. I also drive a Tuna, diesel. Also gearing up for a trip to Moremi, Savuti and Chobe in Oct. this year. I'm still hoping that Jacques will build me a sparewheel carrier like Mark's. Keep us informed on your progress with the project.
And Jacque is waiting for you..... :wink2:
Boomer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Boomer »

OOOOMS wrote:
Boomer wrote:OOOMS, this is where it gets tricky... :D:

Fitted:

1. Duel Battery system C-Trek. or NL :thumbup:
2. 80l-95l Fridge Snow Master Space is a bit of an issue with the Tuna and a 80 / 95l will take up 70% of your packing space.
3. Roof Rack Frontrunner or Big Country Both are good!
4. LR Tank 40 or 70l Frontrunner or Gerber 4x4 (still in two minds, size) I have a 70l Front runner and no problems with it
5. Spot Lights KC Day lighters 6" :naah: LED or Bosh Navigators

6. Bash Plate Stofpad 4x4 Not critical, but nice to have :thumbup:

Nice to haves are.

1. Spare Wheel Carrier Pricey but dependent on size LR tank fitted. See mine
2. Mud Terrains To fit for over landing only. AT are more than sufficient
3. Winch Don't see the need if one vehicle is equipped. Agreed :thumbup:

Water tank, Hi-Lift jack, Awning, recovery gear?
Water tank where to fit and what size.
I still need to buy a lift jack.
The awning i bought bolts on the side of my Tuna, similar to yours. Eezy Awn.
I recently purchased some recovery gear, this incl 4 rated shackles, 6t two rope, and twin tie rope that ties to both recovery point on the front. I am still looking for a proper snatch rope.

Going back to the fridge what size do you recommend. Will a 60l fit and leave me with sufficient space. Just to add, what in your experience will suffice for two way radios for a convoy. I don't want to go overboard with this though.
Last edited by Boomer on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toyota Fortuner
4.0 V6 4x4
Boomer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Boomer »

Racing snake wrote:Hi Charl, Welcome. Lots of very usefull info on this site. I also drive a Tuna, diesel. Also gearing up for a trip to Moremi, Savuti and Chobe in Oct. this year. I'm still hoping that Jacques will build me a sparewheel carrier like Mark's. Keep us informed on your progress with the project.
Thanks pal, my trip is scheduled for June-July this year. I will most certainly keep my project up-dated.
Toyota Fortuner
4.0 V6 4x4
JJBotes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: KZ-TE

Post by JJBotes »

Welcome Charl
:thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Water tank where to fit and what size. - Somewhere on the RR 55 - 60L, gravity feed :thumbup:
I still need to buy a lift jack. :thumbup:
The awning i bought bolts on the side of my Tuna, similar to yours. Eezy Awn. OK
I recently purchased some recovery gear, this incl 4 rated shackles, 6t two rope, and twin tie rope that ties to both recovery point on the front. I am still looking for a proper snatch rope. Shop around Macro had a very good special on secure-tec last year....R299 for snatch and bridal combo!, (thread somewhere here on the forum)

Going back to the fridge what size do you recommend. Will a 60l fit and leave me with sufficient space. Just to add, what in your experience will suffice for two way radios for a convoy. I don't want to go overboard with this though. - Fridge is a bit of a personal issue, depends on how many people you have to cater for? And what kind of trips you are planning...?
Radio, VHF without a doubt, for convoy handheld is ok 'ish!

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”