2006 Fortuner 3D4D 4x4 Purchase

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
Ex_Landi_Oke
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Fortuner 3D4D 4x2

2006 Fortuner 3D4D 4x4 Purchase

Post by Ex_Landi_Oke »

Hi Members,

I’m new to this forum so please excuse if my question has been posted before.

Here goes,

I’m in the market to join the Fortuner family. Obviously I’m working on a budget. It seems i have found something that will fit my pocket at the Toyota Dealer Cape Gate. It is a 2006 3D4D 4x4 with 104000Km's on the ODO. My questions are,

1. Did this model have the stability issues. Is it recommended that the suspension be upgraded to OME/EFS.(i had a look at the bottom of the car and saw that it had stock suspension)
2. The car has 4 brand new off-road tyres on. I did not recognize the brand name at all. Could it be cheapies.? Should i ask them to change to BF's
3. Is there anything that i need to be aware off or check.?
4. I’m looking at driving this car for at least 5 years. Is it do-able with the model/make and current km’s.? Apparently the car used to belong to a ”ou oom”. The car is in mint condition and the interior inside looks brand new and the leather smells brand new.

ANY comments would be greatly appreciated. I have never owned or bought a car with this old year model or high Km's. So i am a complete NOOB.

Regards,
Mark
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: 2006 Fortuner 3D4D 4x4 Purchase

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi Mark and welcome :thumbup:

Any SWB will have stability issues with the incorrect tyre pressure and so on, but let's not get into toooo much of a debate.

It's a good, capable off-road vehicle and very underrated, just have a look around in the traffic and see how popular they are!

BF's are a good choice, the rear suspension is soft (as a standard) with 100 000kms on the clock I would look at replacing the rear one's anyway with gabriel or air-springs.

Njoy!
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum, :thumbup:
I think you will have to wait till tomorrow when all the addictive members is back on the forum when they're suppose to work to get a answer to all you're questions. 104 000km's is not much at all for a 2006 model, how many km's do you plan on travelling per year?
I'm not sure about the '06 models suspension, but a aftermarket suspension is never a bad idea. If you can get a name of the tyres we will be able to help you with some info on reliability and so on. But again, BFG's is never a bad idea if you can afford them.
I swear by BFG's, but with the price I'm also looking at alternatives.
Ex_Landi_Oke
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Ex_Landi_Oke »

Thanks OOOOMS and Jacques for the feedback so far. Much appreciated.

@Jacques - I will find out that Tyre brand and let you know. i do between 15000 and 20000 PA.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Ex_Landi_Oke wrote:Thanks OOOOMS and Jacques for the feedback so far. Much appreciated.

@Jacques - I will find out that Tyre brand and let you know. i do between 15000 and 20000 PA.
The D4D is an excellent motor, have all the injectors checked before taking delivery. Another issue has been the clutch, just have it checked as well, otherwise you will be happy as a 10 jear old with an Ipod :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome! :thumbup: That mileage is really quite low for that motor / vehicle, especially if there is a FSH that comes with it. Tyres are a critical safety issue, so find out what brand they are and get some feedback .... might be worth changing. The same applies to the suspension upgrade if you can swing it within your budget. The clutch and injectors can sometimes be an issue as Mark (OOOMS) has mentioned.

Good luck! ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Welcome Mark.

Those are certainly low km's for a 2006. It also probably had seat covers on it for such a prestine interior.

It has already been mentioned. Injectors, clutch and brakes must be checked. And a FSH is never a bad thing either. Get yourself an extended warranty on it.

Biggest issue with rolling Fortuners has been a multitude of things happening at the same time; that is another long debate on its own. It is just too easy to travel way to fast with a Fortuner on a dirt road. Correct tyres and good suspension are all critical components. After all, they keep you connected with the hard stuff below.

Know what you don't know.
Blackadder
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D, Ironman Bumper, OME, Dual Battery, BFG'S, TJM Snorkel, Navstar 220 29mhz radio, LAS Pro Rear Bumper, Frontrunner Roofrack
Club VHF Licence: X82

Post by Blackadder »

Good day Mark and welcome to the forum.

I think these guys have covered it all. All I can add is that I have driven both and stock standard or modified...You wont be disappointed.

Enjoy... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Mark I also dont have anything to add, except that you are going to love that D4D motor... Best diesel motor I have ever driven.. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Oh, and another thing, do pop around and show us your new motor when we have a little get together... :clap: :clap:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Ex_Landi_Oke
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Ex_Landi_Oke »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

THANK YOU!! all for the excellent responses and the welcome wishes. I feel confident that your input will help me with my decision.

Cheers,
Mark
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Ex_Landi_Oke wrote::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

THANK YOU!! all for the excellent responses and the welcome wishes. I feel confident that your input will help me with my decision.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark, if it wasn't for the packing space, I would have x3 standing in my driveway, trust me :thumbup:
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

I looked at that vehicle, great vehicle, congratulations
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
Ex_Landi_Oke
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Ex_Landi_Oke »

So guys just some feedback. The dealer at Cape Gate sold the 2006 Fortuner to a guy that had cash. :cry: I wasnt impressed that they didnt even call me to ask if i wanted the vehicle or not. Anyways not a train smash. I have an option now on a 2009 Fortuner 4x2. Only problem is the vehcle has 108000 K's on the clock which worries me. Im going to drive this for quite a long time and i dont want to sit one day battling to sell the car due to high mileage. What do you guys suggest. Is the Kms on this Vehicle to high for the year model. Price is R279000.00

Thanks for the info always guys.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

For a 2008 4x4 3.0 D4D with 100 000km's on the clock around R230 - R240K

Me thinks for a 2x4 2009 for R279K is way to much, if it was a 4x4 maybe with a push...!
3 Blind Monkeys
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: 2.8GD6

Post by 3 Blind Monkeys »

I would rather look for a 4x4 than a 4x2 as there will always be a resale market for a 4x4.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

3 Blind Monkeys wrote:I would rather look for a 4x4 than a 4x2 as there will always be a resale market for a 4x4.
Agreed :thumbup:
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Mark, welcome :yahoo:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I agree with Mark that price on a 4x2 Tuna, with that kind of milage is too steep.... Shop around, you'll find the right Tuna 4x4 at the right price... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Ex_Landi_Oke
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Ex_Landi_Oke »

Hi All,

Hope you all having a great DAY off.!

Just some feedback on my mission to get myself into the Fortuner Family. Well i have done it. :yahoo:, i got my Fortuner. It’s not a 4x4 BUT! It’s a Fortuner. I was specifically looking for a 2009 Facelift model. This seriously challenged my budget especially with 4x4 on the wish list as well. I thought long and hard BUT just could not justify to myself the extra 30 to 40K for the extra gearshift, not this round anyway. So for now our holiday destinations will have to be 4x2 compatible. At least I know we will still have fun in our Fortuner and would still be able to come and share some of our trips with you guys on this Forum.

So, more about the Tuna.
As per my previous posts on the 2009 Model that I was looking at but my concerns were that the 109000Km’s is a tad too much for the year model and at a price tag of 279K. Well!, HOW wrong was i!!, after doing some extensive searching on sites like Gumtree and Auto Trader I found MANY 2009 4x2 models either the same price range with same Km’s or even higher. So after some serious negotiations I got MY trade price for my Toyota Verso and a 10K price drop on the Tuna including the 110000Km’s with the front brakes replaced we had a deal.

I have had my Tuna for a week now and MAN what a pleasure it has been so far to drive. One concern I had was that the Turbo makes a whining sound on acceleration from gears 1 to 3(not referring to the famous Tuna Turbo whistle sound) I took the car to Toyota Cape Gate yesterday and had the head mechanic take a drive with me and asked him if there is anything I need to be concerned about. His exact words were “meneer, niks om oor bekommerd te wees nie. Toyota se Turbo’s breek nie. Party ouens reken hoe harder die whine hoe beter perform die Turbo”. I am not an expert but I will go for a second opinion after that comment for full peace of mind. (YOUR COMMENTS PLEASE)

Anyway, Thank you to all Forum members for the help and comments to my questions while is was on this daring mission.

Cheers Mark.
Attachments
42933ac_20.jpeg
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Congrats on the new addition, Mark .... really looks in great nick! :thumbup: :thumbup:

As far as the whine is concerned, I'm no fundi with turbo's but if the whine is gear specific rather than rev specific I would certainly have someone knowledgeable have a look at it for a second and even third opinion. :think:

Enjoy the new ride! ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Mud Dog wrote:Congrats on the new addition, Mark .... really looks in great nick! :thumbup: :thumbup:

As far as the whine is concerned, I'm no fundi with turbo's but if the whine is gear specific rather than rev specific I would certainly have someone knowledgeable have a look at it for a second and even third opinion. :think:

Enjoy the new ride! ;-)
I would get a second opinion regarding the whining. If you have an extended warranty, then you have time to sort it out.
Sent from my iPhone
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Well done, Mark! Hope your new ride brings you lots and lots of enjoyment!!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Blackadder
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D, Ironman Bumper, OME, Dual Battery, BFG'S, TJM Snorkel, Navstar 220 29mhz radio, LAS Pro Rear Bumper, Frontrunner Roofrack
Club VHF Licence: X82

Post by Blackadder »

Congrats Mark.

Nice looking Tuna...Enjoy... :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”