Newbie interested in Fortuner

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
dave1000
Town: Joburg
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by dave1000 »

Hi guys

I have been reading this forum for a while now - what a great source of information!

I'm new to the 4x4 scene and currently looking for a 2nd hand Fortuner to buy. I have narrowed my search down to a 2007/2008/2009 4.0 4x4 auto. Please can you guys assist with some queries regarding this vehicle?

* I'm not particularly fussy regarding the facelift edition's steering wheel controls or other interior features; however am I correct that only the facelift model has 8 airbags (vs 2)? I am quite safety conscious so surely that is quite important to take into consideration? I have 3 small kids and will be using the vehicle as a family car but also for day to day commute.

* Does this vehicle also need to to be serviced every 10k km like the diesels or every 15k? How expensive are the services and what is an important/expensive issue to look out for on the petrol vehicle (like injectors on the diesel)?

* What would you recommend as the maximum mileage for a 2007/2008/2009 vehicle? How much of an issue is high mileage as I plan to drive the car for at least 5 years.

* If I don't buy from a Toyota stealer who else can check the whole vehicle for issues and faults before buying?

* Is it worthwile to extend the warranty and/or service plan? Or other warranties - Motorite I think?

* What should I be looking for when checking the tyres of a 2nd hand FT?

Thanks in advance!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Newbie interested in Fortuner

Post by CasKru »

Welcome Dawid.

I don't know the Fortuner personally but generally speaking 12000km to 15000km per year is the norm. Regarding the tyres, look for uneven wear (flat spots, inner or outer edge excessive wear). Also check the wear on steering wheel, gear lever knob if it correlates to the amount of kilometres the vehicle has done
To God be the glory
dave1000
Town: Joburg
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by dave1000 »

CasKru wrote:Welcome Dawid.

I don't know the Fortuner personally but generally speaking 12000km to 15000km per year is the norm. Regarding the tyres, look for uneven wear (flat spots, inner or outer edge excessive wear). Also check the wear on steering wheel, gear lever knob if it correlates to the amount of kilometres the vehicle has done
Thanks Cassie. Not many with that low mileage available on sites like Autotrader...
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

dave1000 wrote:Hi guys

I have been reading this forum for a while now - what a great source of information!

I'm new to the 4x4 scene and currently looking for a 2nd hand Fortuner to buy. I have narrowed my search down to a 2007/2008/2009 4.0 4x4 auto. Please can you guys assist with some queries regarding this vehicle?

* I'm not particularly fussy regarding the facelift edition's steering wheel controls or other interior features; however am I correct that only the facelift model has 8 airbags (vs 2)? I am quite safety conscious so surely that is quite important to take into consideration? I have 3 small kids and will be using the vehicle as a family car but also for day to day commute. The 2007/8 correct only has x2 :thumbup: The facelift only has x6 airbags

* Does this vehicle also need to to be serviced every 10k km like the diesels or every 15k? How expensive are the services and what is an important/expensive issue to look out for on the petrol vehicle (like injectors on the diesel)? Hilux V6 every 10 000km's, Fortuner V6 every 15 000km pls don't ask me why this is so....... :?

* What would you recommend as the maximum mileage for a 2007/2008/2009 vehicle? How much of an issue is high mileage as I plan to drive the car for at least 5 years. It's a Toyota 1 000 000km's

* If I don't buy from a Toyota stealer who else can check the whole vehicle for issues and faults before buying? The AA

* Is it worthwile to extend the warranty and/or service plan? Or other warranties - Motorite I think?

* What should I be looking for when checking the tyres of a 2nd hand FT? As mentioned by Cassie

Thanks in advance!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome David. Hope you find your Fortuner! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
4x4Maniac
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Hi Dave,

You can do a vehicle check from TransUnion Auto to find out if the vehicle has ever been written off and previous owner's info, however always check service history from Toyota if it has been serviced by Toyota otherwise. M2cw
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”