Cruise control for a Fortuner

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Totota Fortuner 2006 4.0 V6 4x4; Long Range fuel tank; AmadaXtreme suspension; C-Tek D250S dual battery system
Club VHF Licence: HC 141

Cruise control for a Fortuner

Post by ronnie »

I have a 2006 V6 Fortuner and have been considering for some time having cruise control installed. I think it will save quite a bit on petrol and speed fines. How easy is it to have it fitted and can one go non OEM? I would imagine that Toyota will rip me another one if I go for a Toyota part and installation.

Thanks
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Cruise control for a Fortuner

Post by ChrisF »

Toyota charged me just over 5k for a NON-OEM unit. The car-radio shop down the road wanted 7k for the same installation !!

In fact, tthe non-OEM unit has more functions - 2 programmable speed settings. :)

saving fuel - NOPE ! remember a cruise control is "dumb", and lifts off at the bottom of a hill, then FLOORS it uphill to maintain speed ... if anything, expect to loose a bit of fuel economy. but marginally only.

speed fines - YES, this is by far the best reason to go this route .... enter a town, after some open road speeds, down to 4th gear and press the pre-programmed 65km/h .... and SMILE :) :)

for the LONG roads this is by far the best invention ever !!
grobbepj
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

Post by grobbepj »

Fully agree, don t do this to save on fuel. It will remain the same if not (as expalined above) a bit worse, but the luxury it brings on the open road make it all the worth while. And you will save on speedfines. I suspect i have the same aftermarket one with the two programmable functions. I have one set at a lekker cruising speed of +-115km/h and the other for the more annoying 60-80km/h sones (very easy to change the preprogramme settings). I drive 100km at least a day and use it everyday!

On long uphills my kzte does tend to loose a bit of speed if you dont start "helping"it a bit with a foot on the pedal and then it disengages (mostly because is only starts giving more fuel when the speed drops (and momentum is lost)). Again just a disadvantage of the dumb system...

But still you will not be sorry...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

In fact, I have this exact same cruise control on my 2,5 Vigo and on my Etios.

the Etios is the day drive, and the cruise control is used OFTEN. :)
Sebata
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Post by Sebata »

Doesnt it come standard with the v6?
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Totota Fortuner 2006 4.0 V6 4x4; Long Range fuel tank; AmadaXtreme suspension; C-Tek D250S dual battery system
Club VHF Licence: HC 141

Post by ronnie »

Unfortunately not with my 2006 model; maybe standard on the facelift model.

Thanks for all the input; still seems rather steep price wise

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”