Unfortunate Fortuner Owners

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Unfortunate Fortuner Owners

Post by Family_Dog »

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Re: Unfortunate Fortuner Owners

Post by Jaws »

I would rather say Fortunate Fortuner Owners. At least they got a response from Toyota and seems like they are willing to work with the owners to resolve the issue. It would be unfortunate if Toyota kept on ignoring the complaints from various owners.
:thumbup:
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Looks like this is becoming a big thing.
ImageImage
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

It is a big thing and I do agree that the tyres on the Fortuners are plain nasty no good tar tyres.

Having driven my dad's D4D Fortuner the weekend on over 90 km's of rough gravel road at relative speeds, I have to say that we palyed around with the vehicle with loads ect and my opinion were that the tyres are not good and are in my view part of the problem. :wink:

The sidewall are way to unstable for gravel roads, and having seen them flex I was just disgusted with the tyres. (was standing on the side steps while the car is being driven at approx 60 km/hto see what the tyres were behaving like... :shock: )

I actually drove the vehicle hard over different surfaces and was hoping that the tyres would give in but they just cause the car to become slightly unstable. :shock: Current remedy is to lower the pressure considerably and stick to 80 max in roads that you know. :wink:
Johan Marais
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Johan, Scorpion and others,

Please post your Fortuner experiences in the relevant link on the Community Forum. The aim of the thread is to get Toyota to take notice and actually realise that there is a problem with the current batch of vehicles and to actually do something about this, for the safety of all Fortuner drivers.

http://www.4x4community.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=21902

Please note this is restricted to actual driving experiences you have with a Fortuner, either your own or, as in Johan's case, his father's. No off-topic posts will be permitted in that thread as it has already received media coverage. There will also be a series of tests done and the results will be published by various media present during the tests.

I'm a possible keen future Fortuner wannabee owner but I hesitate to jump in and commit until the vehicle is found to be as safe as a Hilux in its handling issues.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Also get people you know who owns a Fortuner to post their experience. Even if they just register for this purpose alone.

If there is a fault, Toyota and the involved manufacturers (tyres or shocks) should take responsibility and sort it out.
This can be better achieved with big numbers of Fortuner owners standing together. No use there's thousands of Fortuners on the road, but only 30 people complaining
ImageImage
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Just registered...
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

I have to agree what Johan say about the Fortuner's tyres. One thing that I picked up one day that I visited a Toyota Dealer was that they just finished the service on a Fortuner and was checking the tyre presure. I heard that the recommended tyre presure to be 2.6 bar all around the vehicle. I just thought it was a bit hard, expecially for the rear.

Then I was visiting another Toyota in Pretoria just last week and specifically asked what their experience was with the Fortuner and Hilux performance in wet and gravel conditions. They replied they already had complaints about the poor performance of the tyres and they already as a precaution were taking off the factory fitted tyres and replacing them with Goodyear tyres on any new Hilux or Fortuner being sold.

So, one Toyota Dealer already is doing it, just the rest must follow.

Louis
Castos
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: Ry die vyand
Club VHF Licence: B01

Post by Castos »

I drove a Fortuner a while ago on a bad dirt road. Wow newer again, my 15 year old Hilux was 120% better than this ride was, The fortuner was all over the road driving at 40-50km/h. I drive that same road with my Lux at 110km/h and with my company D4D at 120 plus. My uncle is a chairman of a big skiboat club, he told me that every person who bought fortuners have either installed OME or TJM suspensions or have sold them and went back to there 2.7 Hiluxes.

PS: Buddy of mine is at toyota, the are not allowed the tradein any fortuners anymore, their atores ar offerloaded with second hand ones. They cannot get the stuffed sold. :o:
97 Hilux Raider D/C With some exstra's
Elands4x4
Ons gaan dieper en bly langer!!!
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

Just a quick update with regards to the Fortuner. The Local Toyota dealer where my dad bought his Fortuner from is going to test the roads that we travel on next week with their vehicle, and I have arranged to have my lux present to show them the difference. They have admitted to the tyres being part of the problem, but now they need to test it with their vehicles, and ours and then send the report back to the technical department.

I believe that they will replace the tyres on the vehicle after testing it, as the roads in the free state hasn't been graded for a long time, and the corrugations are really bad...
Johan Marais
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Johan and others,

Carte Blanche have expressed an interest to record proceedings at the test run on Saturday, but many of the members would prefer this not to happen. The idea is to find a solution to the problem, and not invite controversy. Toyota SA will "unofficially" be represented as well as Media such as Drive Out/Wegry. The date is tyhois weekend at the venue as detailed in the link.

More details here:

http://www.4x4community.com/forum/showp ... tcount=199

Anyone is welcome to attend but if you wish to partake, then please read through all the threads at the link above and submit your name to Dif or Uys.

-F_D

JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

Thanks for the update Eric....

Will forward it to the owner............. :twisted:
Johan Marais
NCES
Town: Kimberley-RSA
Vehicle: Prado 4.0 VX, 3.0 KZ-TE 4x2

Post by NCES »

Toyota Fortuner = Worst Toyota Vehicle ever by far, I know, I have a 2006 4.0 V6 4x2 manual with 55000km on. Tried to change tyres with 265/70R16 Bridgestone Dueler D694 but it is still scary to drive. I used to have Prado 4.0, unfortuanatly sold it due to stupidity, then bought this $@#%. Going to sell %$# Fortuner again and by Prado. Luckily I still have my other Toyota, 2001 Hilux SWB, ex 2.4d but now 1UZ powered with Supra Turbo 5spd, what a lovely bakkie. It can load a ton and still do 180km/h easily.
Last edited by CasKru on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

As a result of all the negative publicity that the poor Fortuner sustained last year, Carte Blanche contacted various Fortuner owners from the Community Forum and conducted some tests concerning road-holding at Gerotek. This event will be screened on M-Net Carte Blanche Consumer program this coming Thursday, 21st January, at 19:00. Needless to say, I will be watching this with interest!

-F_D

Optimus Prime
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Krp
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 v6

Post by Optimus Prime »

I have just done a 4000km + trip ,tar,sand ,potholes beach with our Fortuner ,and i can honestly say i dont have a problem with this vehicle ,i had no problems ,what so ever with or without my fully loaded Bush baby.

"As long as power flows through any of my circuits ill 4x4."
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Robert, do you still have the standard suspension and shocks? Did you take advantage of TSA's recall on the tyres?

I am looking forward to the TV program, will be most interesting to see what was discovered. Whatever the outcome, it seems the new FT is 100% - as it should be.

-F_D

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

DieBul wrote:I have just done a 4000km + trip ,tar,sand ,potholes beach with our Fortuner ,and i can honestly say i dont have a problem with this vehicle ,i had no problems ,what so ever with or without my fully loaded Bush baby.
Watse jaar model het jy Robert?
To God be the glory
3.0 D4-D
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: ofcolaco
Vehicle: fortuner 3.0 D4-D,hilux 2007 V6 4x4

Post by 3.0 D4-D »

ek het n 2009 een wat die facelift ondergaan het.ek moet se dat ek nie n probleem het met my voertuig nie.ek het hom in aug 2009 gekoop en bande waarmee ek hom gekoop het is brigstones 265 r17.ek verstaan hulle het die rims verander van n 16 tot n 17 duim op die facelift modelle
TOYOTA,NET DIE BESTE IS GOED GENOEG
2004 kzte 4x4 rip
oom dan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: st lucia
Vehicle: hilux

Post by oom dan »

it is not the top selling vehicle in it's class for nothing
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

NOW maybe but not then.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

oom dan wrote:it is not the top selling vehicle in it's class for nothing
Janee, kyk bietjie rond daar is letterlik om elke draai een! Ek trade my DC in op een eenige dag. Als is reg op hom, tot sy brandstofverbruik :thumbup:
GookJr
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: 2000 2.7 Hilux 4x4 D/C

Post by GookJr »

Yes, but seems some competition coming with the 2012 Paj Sport manual. All overpriced still.
ROOFER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: grassy park cape town
Vehicle: 99 s/c hilux 4x4 2.7i long range tank & dual battery; 2003 nissan x-TRAIL (4X4)

Post by ROOFER »

surely you cant take them serious :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
TJV
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 3.0 liter D4D Fortuner,, Roof rack and VHF radio
Club VHF Licence: X 110

Post by TJV »

Nou wil ek ou koeie opgrawe. Is daar nog ouens met Fortuners wat hierdie onstabiliteit ervaar?
Ek het verlede jaar voorste skokbrekers vervang met Gabriel Safari en twee trips Namibie toe gedoen met vrag op die dak ek geen moeilikheid gehad nie. Nou met my trip Mapungupwe toe het dit egter begin bokspring. Ek stop en gaan die skokbrekers na, geen lekasies nie en almal warm dus werk hulle. Ry verder en weg is die probleem, maar helaas keer dit so van tyd tot tyd terug, maar na stop kan jy ry sonder probleme. Dit wil vir my voorkom of die skokbrekers nie opgewasse is vir die vrag nie. Watter skokbrekers het julle in?
AmadaXtreme
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Fortuner d4d 4x4

Post by AmadaXtreme »

As jy shocks soek wat kan vrag vat..... laat my weet!
AmadaXtreme Cobus 071 641 7947 or Rory 072 759 2926
Suspensions
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

My son has the 4x2 manual diesel, and both him and I have driven on a lot of gravel roads with it, sometimes towing a large trailer with offroad bikes on it, and have never had a handling problem with the vehicle. Not sure of the year model of his vehicle. When he bought it he had heard some of the complaints, but is quite satisfied with its handling ability on dirt roads. We think it is an amazing vehicle. But it does sound like an Isuzu for a few minutes when we start it in the morning.
AmadaXtreme
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Fortuner d4d 4x4

Post by AmadaXtreme »

TJV wrote:Nou wil ek ou koeie opgrawe. Is daar nog ouens met Fortuners wat hierdie onstabiliteit ervaar?
Ek het verlede jaar voorste skokbrekers vervang met Gabriel Safari en twee trips Namibie toe gedoen met vrag op die dak ek geen moeilikheid gehad nie. Nou met my trip Mapungupwe toe het dit egter begin bokspring. Ek stop en gaan die skokbrekers na, geen lekasies nie en almal warm dus werk hulle. Ry verder en weg is die probleem, maar helaas keer dit so van tyd tot tyd terug, maar na stop kan jy ry sonder probleme. Dit wil vir my voorkom of die skokbrekers nie opgewasse is vir die vrag nie. Watter skokbrekers het julle in?
Om baie eerlik te wees, ek het voor die Fortuner n DID Pajero gehad - die Pajero was ongelooflik op n grondpad, selfs met n sleepwa het die Pajero baie goed hanteer,
Die eerste keer wat ek die Fortuner op n grondpad gekry het, slegs Maxxis opgesit maar nog nie suspensie nie... was sy gat baie, baie los teenoor die Pajero, nogal scary erg! So ek glo nogal die storie
Vandat ek die shocks en suspension gedoen het, het ek nog nie weer daai problem gehad nie.

My opinie is dat die Fortuner se agter shocks te sag is om die as of altans die wiele op die grond te hou.... dis net my opinie en dalk is ek verkeerd, maar al wat ek wees is die oomblik toe ek die shocks vervang het ek nog nie weer n los gat op die Tuna gehad nie
AmadaXtreme Cobus 071 641 7947 or Rory 072 759 2926
Suspensions
TJV
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by TJV »

Cobus het jou email gestuur.
TJV
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by TJV »

So bietjie van 'n vorderings verslag: Het by Mikem vir my 'n Stel agter Bilstein shocks gekry en was bietjie suid Vrystaat toe. Het nog effense bokspring waargeneem. By die huis gekom en suspensie ondersoek gedoen, met die losmaak van die panhard rod links agter sien ek die rubbers is bietjie ovaal gewerk. Die maandag bestel ek by Toyota 'n volledige nuwe stel wat die wasters ook insluit. Met ontvangs sien ek dit lyk nie 100% soos die oues nie, duik onder 'n nuwe Fortuner op die vloer in en sien dat dit vergelyk met my nuwe stel. By die huis gekom oues uitgehaal en net vir die gerusstelling druk ek op die rubbers om die hardheid te voel. Nuwes is defenetief harder, dit is nou in en wag net dat ek kan laai en op lang trippie gaan om te sien of die probleem weg is.
TJV
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by TJV »

So bietjie van 'n vorderings verslag: Het by Mikem vir my 'n Stel agter Bilstein shocks gekry en was bietjie suid Vrystaat toe. Het nog effense bokspring waargeneem. By die huis gekom en suspensie ondersoek gedoen, met die losmaak van die panhard rod links agter sien ek die rubbers is bietjie ovaal gewerk. Die maandag bestel ek by Toyota 'n volledige nuwe stel wat die wasters ook insluit. Met ontvangs sien ek dit lyk nie 100% soos die oues nie, duik onder 'n nuwe Fortuner op die vloer in en sien dat dit vergelyk met my nuwe stel. By die huis gekom oues uitgehaal en net vir die gerusstelling druk ek op die rubbers om die hardheid te voel. Nuwes is definitief harder, dit is nou in en wag net dat ek kan laai en op lang trippie gaan om te sien of die probleem weg is.

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”