Engine noise?

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
Tsa
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Fortuner 4x4

Engine noise?

Post by Tsa »

Hi Guys

I have posted this on another forum, but thought I would post it here as well as we have many guys here that know the D4D's well. I have had the vehicle for just over 3 years now and close to 100k km on the clock.

"I have been experiencing a new noise from the engine in the last few months. Have been to Barloworld Tygervalley (BWTV) and after having the vehicle with them for a day and then also sending it to Motor Masters Engineering. Initially they thought it was piston slap, tappets, etc and that is why they sent it to the engineering shop. Engineering shop apparently confirmed no piston slap and everything sounds normal.

BWTV did hear the sound I was referring to, but their final answer was that they are not sure what it is and that seems to be the last of it. OK, so we dont know what it is, so its not a problem.....
Waiting for ToyotaCare to sort out their stuff as they will also be fixing gearbox whine and will then get them to confirm what the sound is and what they plan on doing about it.

Now the sound..it is very difficult to explain. It is more evident at between 1500 and 2100rpm and sounds like a cat that wants to say "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF....foetsek!" It is also like it is heard more when the engine works more, like a bit of an incline at normal speed and constant throttle, not accellerating heavily as then you just hear the "tractor" sound over the FFFFFFFFFFF.

I 1st though maybe like a turbo pipe or something that has a leak, but according to BWTV that is not it....

This sound familiar to anyone? Any suggestions on where I can take the vehicle to have a 2nd opinion in Cape Town, Northern Subs?
I will also try and get an audio recording and see if the issue is audible.

This is on 2010 Fortuner, 3.0 D4D 4x4
"

Thanks!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Engine noise?

Post by Mr_B »

Just a thought... is there not possibly a crack/leak on the intake side causing a suction noise?
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Sounds like a suction noise to me as well, did you check all vacuum pipes?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Tsa
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Fortuner 4x4

Post by Tsa »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. To be honest this is not my strong point , so will see if I can recreate the noise with someone depressing accellerator and me having my head in the bonnet trying to figure out where it comes from :)

One would think that this would be something BWTV or at least the "engineering shop" would have checked as well.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Not familiar with those motors but from your description it could be suction (vacuum hoses etc as mentioned) or pressure - AFAIK there should be a turbo boost relief valve to relieve excess boost - perhaps this is faulty and discharging boost air. Are all the intake pipes secure (hose clamps etc.), no leaks on the intake manifold where boost pressure could be escaping ....?? :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”