Fortuner 2.5 Auto assistance

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Fortuner 2.5 Auto assistance

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

I might become an active Toyota forum member again. Depending on the outcome of this. We need to upgrade my wife's Alto. The Fortuner 2.5 Auto popped up. It's not a 4x4, but that is why I have a Jimny.

I can get a 2013 Auto with 52 000km for R295 000. Is the price OK, it's at a dealer. It's nearly out of it's warranty, if I buy it, must I extend the warranty to 6yrs 220 000km? Must I take a service plan or should I pay the services myself when it comes out of service plan?

What are the known problems to look out for? I opted for the Auto as I feel the engine and drive train is more protected, also - no clutch replacement.

My intention is to keep it for 5 years and move on to the new shape.

Assistance and comments will be much appreciated.
Sent from my iPhone
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Fortuner 2.5 Auto assistance

Post by ChrisF »

If you extend the waranttee, then Toyota must service the vehicle - or at least check the requirements of the warantee.

The services are not cheap !! Do the maths, maybe it is worth your while to take out a maintenance plan. It really depends on the kilos your wife will be doing ....
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

ChrisF wrote:If you extend the waranttee, then Toyota must service the vehicle - or at least check the requirements of the warantee.

The services are not cheap !! Do the maths, maybe it is worth your while to take out a maintenance plan. It really depends on the kilos your wife will be doing ....
We will be doing 10 000km a year. I tried to get a service schedule with prices, nobody willing to share. I was told Fortuners are cheap to service at the dealers. I've noticed you say otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Post by Rianc »

I just extended my warranty to 6 years, and came in handy when I replaced the injectors. The cost of servicing works out cheaper than the maintenance plan over the same period. Don't have the stats any more. This is on 3d4d manual.
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Rianc wrote:I just extended my warranty to 6 years, and came in handy when I replaced the injectors. The cost of servicing works out cheaper than the maintenance plan over the same period. Don't have the stats any more. This is on 3d4d manual.
Why would the injectors go so early?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Looks like the Fortuner dream is drifting away.....I got an excellent trade in on my ALTO, but when I phone various insurance companies, I'm getting nailed left, right and centre.

Ranging from R1051 (incl. of tracker - as this vehicle is an extreme theft risk) no excess, and it goes up to R1500 per month!!!!!

For a 2016 Grand Vitara, I was quoted R780.....
Sent from my iPhone
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

My 2016 RAV insurance is on par with what they quote you for the Vitara.

The RAV is only a 5 seater, compared with the 7 seats in the Fortuner. That said, the RAV is VERY spacious inside !! MASSIVE boot space.

Those handy few millimeters shorter and narrower than the Fortuner, thus easier to handle in town, parking etc.

The RAV comes standard with rear park distance control and reverse camera on the entry level model.

At worst it gives me 11km/l (energetic driving and lots of town trips), at best I am getting 13km/l on the open road keeping it just below 120km/h

all things considered a VERY nice vehicle !!

Other options :
Suzuki Vitara (not the Grand Vitara) - actually a very nice car.
Mitsubischi ATX - on paper very similar to the RAV, also in looks and stance. But a good few rands cheaper. A Mitsu owner have indicated that it does have a lot of road noise ... take it for a test drive and decide for yourself.
Mazda CX5 gets rave reviews from all corners ... I was tempted, but do not want a low volume car, which also excluded the Vitara and ATX from my list ...
I was shocked at the current pricing of the Hyundai and Kia options !!!
Last edited by ChrisF on Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Based on the 2,5 diesel HILUX - serviced every 10 000km.

"10" is a minor service - effectively an oil change with a few items checked. JUST the oil change on the Hilux would have cost me R 1 600 in April !

every "20" is a major service, this is the oil change air filter, polin filter and a few odds and sods they check ... not sure where this would end up in terms of costs.
Frederick
Town: Hendrina Mpumalanga
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux. 2016 79 Land Cruiser
Club VHF Licence: X42

Post by Frederick »

I have a 2.5 auto 2012 fortuner. My wife drives it everyday. 80000km
Very nice car. No real problems. Light on fuel. Can tow 7 foot trailer easily.
Only shortcomings are no cruise control and bit on the ugly side brown interior. Fixed with escape seat covers.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Frederick wrote:I have a 2.5 auto 2012 fortuner. My wife drives it everyday. 80000km
Very nice car. No real problems. Light on fuel. Can tow 7 foot trailer easily.
Only shortcomings are no cruise control and bit on the ugly side brown interior. Fixed with escape seat covers.
Cruise control for a Toyota costs about R 6 000, bought and fitted at Toyota. Their aftermarket version is better than the original unit. Might be cheaper if you get it from another fitment centre.

the aftermarket unit provides two programmable preset speeds - HANDY when entering a town, just press 60km/h and laugh at the cameras. :thumbup: :cooldude:

And these units fit from the Etios up to the Hilux.

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”