How to Scan?

You can ask your Surf and 4Runner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Maputo
Vehicle: 1999 Surf 2.7L 4x4

How to Scan?

Post by Firstoneman »

Greetings!
New to forum. Hoping someone can help me understand the diagnostic scan options with Surfs. I have a 1999 Surf, model = GF-RZN185W-GAPGK, engine = 3RZ-FE (2.7L petrol). Automatic.

I'm from US, transplanted to Maputo area. Just bought the Surf, came from Japan via previous owner. In the US, since 1995-96, OBD2 has been standard. After my Surf stalled I decided I would need to get an OBD2 reader (I'm naive). Had a friend buy one in Nelspruit for me and bring to Moz. Got it, searched the front dash thoroughly and could find nothing that would fit :blink: . Searched the internet about as thoroughly as would not make me tear my hair out and found lots of contradicting info. After removing the dash bits to see if a connector was stuffed up under somewhere - I found nothing :shock:. Decided to give up and find help :surrender: . So, I'm ahead one OBD2/EOBD reader with nothing to diagnose.

In the engine compartment is a diagnostic port. I'll attach photo. It looks like a pic of one I found on the internet that shows you could jumper it - and make the CEL/MIL flash codes. Not sure if that's correct and will not do so without someone with adequate background telling me it's good. So how do I access the codes? Are diagnostic cables available for these and how much do they cost, if so? What software or device would I need to read the data?

Thanks for for help.
Cheers!
David
1999 Surf Diagnostic Port.jpg
May You Thrive!!

David
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: How to Scan?

Post by CasKru »

Hey David. To my knowledge that is Toyota's in house setup. My 2002 model Toyota has the same diagnostics port.

I have not tried to communicate with that vehicles ECU though. But that said, I tried to communicate with our 2013 Innova's ECU using an OBD2 reader with no luck.

You could have a look at this site as they do sell a lot of vehicle scanning tools: http://www.electromannsa.co.za/shop/?q=node/2814
To God be the glory
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

Greetings David.
This is a subject that emerges occasionally on the forums.
The connector you have there is 22 pin MOBD. It is Toyota proprietary.
You can read all about it here:

viewtopic.php?t=26983

This is an issue meself have not sorted out yet completely.
Will be doing so shortly as it is rather difficult working in the dark.
But for now only solution I could find you could try out is the following:

You will need something like this:

With a soft app similar to this..

The supplier is Autotools.
Think they are Cape Town based and you can order online.
You might have to make delivery address inside RSA.

Probably you can view fault codes and make some minor adjustments.
Hope it helps - and if it does..let us know.
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Maputo
Vehicle: 1999 Surf 2.7L 4x4

Post by Firstoneman »

Thank you Dirk and Cassie. Will look into those links and scan tools. See what comes of it. Much appreciated that you took time to answer.
May You Thrive!!

David

Return to “Toyota Surf & 4Runner”