Correct Battery?

You can ask your Surf and 4Runner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Maputo
Vehicle: 1999 Surf 2.7L 4x4

Correct Battery?

Post by Firstoneman »

Hello:
The 1999 Surf is new to me…wanting to verify which battery goes into it. It's a 3RZ engine (2.7L petrol), A/C, some bells and whistles.
It has a Willard 657 in it. A friend tells me batteries don't last long down here. I'm used to 3-5 years out of one. Can someone verify this size is correct? The battery doesn't seem to fit the tray and bracket exactly, but it's close.

Thank you for help.
May You Thrive!!

David
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Correct Battery?

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi David, a 657 sounds about right. Obviously the best situation would be to fit the biggest battery you can get into the tray. A diesel battery might fit a bit better with a higher Amp/hour rating and a bit more cranking power - just check that the terminal polarity / positions are compatible with the cable positions in the vehicle. If the vehicle is mobile, the best might be to take it in to a battery supplier and let them have a look what is the biggest battery to fit.

Vehicle batteries in general will only have a life of 3 to 5 years. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Cheetah Drakie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.7i

Post by Cheetah Drakie »

Recently replaced my battery on the 3RZ motor, and they gave me a 646.
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

Thank you Andy and Peter. I'll head down to the EveryReady supplier a friend of mine knows well and see what my option is…for maybe a more powerful unit. The Willard is a 70Ah, 550cca. If I can get bigger, that might provide eventual support for additional mods. Thanks for that thought. Cheers!
May You Thrive!!

David
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

We have a 669P in our Surf, is bigger than the standard. 84 Ah
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

pietpetoors wrote:We have a 669P in our Surf, is bigger than the standard. 84 Ah
Hello Pieter:
Saw the Energizer man this morning…got a new battery that runs 70Ah and 640ca. Upgrade from the 550ca of the old Willard and I got the poles on the correct side. :thumbup:
But in conversation with him - he was immediate to respond to my request for an 84Ah battery with this: "You'll burn up your starter." He was definite upon further inquiry. I haven't really ever considered that. "Ah" seems to me to be a time issue (how much juice in a battery - like in AA, AAA rechargeable batteries) - not about a higher amp or voltage delivery. I suspect this one will be fine. I may put a second in later, depending on mods/upgrades.

Would you send me a pic of yours in the compartment? That will help for future. Also, what year is your Surf? I've been looking at a little threaded hole in my intake - goes straight thru to the chamber. Wonder what is supposed to be connected there? Is it something (i.e. sensor) besides a threaded plug? It's very near to the middle of the pic front side of the second air intake pipe. Seems odd it's wide open to the compartment. Here's pic:
Engine intake hole 2.jpg
May You Thrive!!

David
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

That's just a threaded hole to take a bolt for mounting something like a heat shield ... doesn't go through into the intake branch. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Like Andy said, there is just a bracket screwed in the hole which keeps the wiring.

Is your's automatic?

Below is a pic of my Hilux's intake manifold and also of the bigger battery in my Hilux, the setup of the battery looks exactly the same in the Surf.

My limited knowledge of electricity tells me that you won't damage your starter if you battery can deliver more amps. The battery can deliver more amps, it is not that the starter will draw more amps.
Battery
Battery
hilux-battery (3).JPG (56.02 KiB) Viewed 4874 times
Intake
Intake
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “Toyota Surf & 4Runner”