Hilux Surf 1991 diesel 2.8 is going slow on road

You can ask your Surf and 4Runner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
logan
Town: greymouth
Vehicle: hilux Surf

Hilux Surf 1991 diesel 2.8 is going slow on road

Post by logan »

sent my Hilux surf 1991 2.8 diesel to a mechanic as it was getting harder to start. this is what the mechanic did. Remove belts and covers, remove cambelt, idler and tensioner and water pump. Remove injector pump. Send injector pump away for rebuild. Refit injector pump. Fit new water pump and cambelt and idler and belt tensioner. refit all covers and fit new fan belts. Set injector pump timing and fit new fuel filter. bleed lines. charge batteries engine. bleed injectors. check and replace glow plugs. Turns over good

Any way we got it back turns over real good. But for some reason it is slow on road. We could easily get to a 100kph on the road before we sent it to the mechanic but is struggling to get to 60kph. The mechanic does not know why is has all of a sudden it is going slow on the road. Was wondering if anyone might know why and how we can fix it
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: Hilux Surf 1991 diesel 2.8 is going slow on road

Post by Mars »

There are two things coming to mind. The one is injection timing and the other perhaps an over simplification but is the accelerator cable properly installed and tensioned? If it is too loose the throttle will not open fully - acting like a limiter in a sense.(This is assuming it still does have a physical cable)
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Hilux Surf 1991 diesel 2.8 is going slow on road

Post by pietpetoors »

Me also thinks maybe injector timing is out but can also be that they did not set the pump correctly. Might be under fueling.

I would keep on taking it back to the mechanic until he got it fixed.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “Toyota Surf & 4Runner”