4Y Problems, misfires, low power etc.

You can ask your Surf and 4Runner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
Joar
Town: Melbourne
Vehicle: 1986 4Runner

4Y Problems, misfires, low power etc.

Post by Joar »

Hey,

I drive an Australian 1986 4Runner, 4Y Engine, carby, 2.2L engine, 5 gears manual. 215.000km
The car runs, it always starts up and drives. However, there are some problems which occur randomly, on some days you barely take notice of it, on other days it starts making trouble right after the start.

1. Low power - I dont expect much from 97hp, but when I reach any kind of inlcines it rapidly looses power, and speed (In a way that I am obstructing the traffic). Fells like it has no power in the lower revs.

2. Stuttering - The car idles well, but sometimes (looks like this happens only in higher gears, 4&5 gear) the engine just fails for about half a second, meaning the car looses all acceleration power. However, this is just very short and the engine runs smooth like before after that.

3. Misfiring - I get random misfires, sounds like driving over a plastic bottle. This happens mostly when the car is rolling down a hill and runs with the accelerator pedal only barely pressed down.
I also noticed misfires when the stuttering happens, but it is hard to hear it while driving.

It also happened once to me, that the idle was very very rough, just keeping the engine running. This ocurred right after starting the engine up. I had to be very slow with the clutch, but the car drove at all. After about 7mins driving I parked the car, went shopping.
15mins later, same again...very rough idle. I dont know how to explain this, ok: I went to the exhaust and held my hand in front of it. It was not like a constant pressure coming from it, more like bursts. After 1min idling the revs went back to normal, without me doing anything.
Also, the car is pretty smelly sometimes, exhaust fumes. Today I started the car, drove 2-3ks trough the city and stopped at a red light. When I accelerated, the engine "choked", not accelerating at all when I pressed the accelerator pedal. Then it spinned up without problems and the next stops were fine.
It is strange, only happens sometimes.

The previous owner gave the car to a mechanic and he replaced the ignition points, adjusted the dwell angle and ignition timing...Also adjusted the carby idle mixture and speed. Fuel pump and spark plugs have been replaced recently aswell.

Today I checked the distributor cap and found this:
Image Link Broken
Why is the cap scratched like this? The contacts look bad, too. The rotor is tight, not wobbling around. Strange...

I also checked all four spark plugs:
Image Link Broken
They all look like this one, what do you say? Is it too white? I found a white "crusty" substance on the outside(!) of all plugs, looks like lime/chalk. I cant explain what this is, as the plugs should be new and sealed by the spark plug connector?
Image Link Broken

Hope you have some ideas on what to do! Heres a pic of the whole engine:
Image Link Broken
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: 4Y Problems, misfires, low power etc.

Post by pietpetoors »

Welcome to the forum Johannes.
The cap is probably scratched because somebody before you tried to clean the pins ons the inside of the cap with sanding paper. I normally use a flat screw driver to clean the pins.

The plug looks good, it must be dry. If it is black and wet it means too much fuel or too much oil. Plug gap looks a bit big.

I would start with the cheap stuff.
Check ignition timing.
Check that your vacuum advance is working.
Check your fuel filter, the loss of power and all of the sudden power might be fuel starvation.

Replace spark plugs, set the gap on about 1mm. Think specs is between 0.8mm and 1mm.

If the problem is still there replace the plug leads.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Agree that the dizzy cap scratches inside look like they were made manually. From your description it sounds very much like an intermittent electrical problem and can be difficult to pin-point.

Check on the stuff Pieter mentioned above, but also check the coil connections and the coil to dizzy HT lead as well. Check the connections to the idle solenoid on the carb as well. I would also re-visit the the mechie's work IRO the points / condenser replacement.

Hope you find the fault easily.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

If it is the standard carb you are using,where is the vacuum pipes?
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Joar

Post by Joar »

Hey, thanks for your answers!

Sandpaper...could explain the scratches. Do you think I should give the contact points a clean too? Or replace the cap?
I will check all contacts I am able to acess, and clean them. As the spark plugs look ok I will focus on the ignition, but its always hard to ind the problem here, as you said Mud Dog. :crazy:

I unplugged the vacuum hose for the ign advance. I hear the membrane moving, but dont see anything happen in the inition itself?

I am going to have a look at the ignition, contact breaker and stuff. As I have no tools I wont be able to do much, but maybe I can spot something.

The Legend: Which vacuum hoses are you talking about? There is one coming from the ignition and one ging to the engine head as I can remeber at the moment. Do you have a picture showing all the hoses?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Your 4Runner might have a different vacuum hose configuration vs our Hilux. but here is the Hilux diagram (SA spec).

4Y VACUUM HOSE iNFO.jpg

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Joar

Post by Joar »

Hey, thanks dog!
I tried to check the ignition advance by sucking on this hose leading to the carb.... Nothing happens.
I can turn the plate by hand, how strong is the suction created by the carb? No way to turn it by sucking.

Maybe the membrane is broken or the plate is jammed because of dirt? Can you test that?
Image Link Broken
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

It should move by sucking on the hose. Sounds like the vacuum advance is faulty - replace it.

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Welcome Johannes.

JIP, the vacuum advance is not functioning correctly. Sucking it should move (rotate) the plate. If you have a timing light you can also check the standard idling timing, then rev it up and see how the vacuum advances it.

Just possible the mechie tried to set the timing around a broken vacuum advance .... this would lead to bad idling and/or bad power ..... sounds you have a bit of both.

the other thing that is most difficult to pin point is bad spark-plug leads ..... I have chased my tail due this in the past. If you have any doubt about the leads just replace it.

frankly just give it a GOOD full service. From new points all the way through ....
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Johannes before i did the EFI conversion on my 4y bakkie i replace the the dizzie with an original 4y electronic dizzie.End of many problems (no points,condensor to change and timings always on the spot)
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
wiekus
Town: deneysville
Vehicle: hilux4x4

Post by wiekus »

I had the same problem on my sfa 4y 88mod. Check and service distributor. Bearing on vacuum advance was sticky.Hope it helps.
Dadz Toy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 Series Prado - Diesel Dog
Club VHF Licence: HC 286

Post by Dadz Toy »

Don't mess around, EFi it!! :dance1:

Rich :cooldude:
Rich :cooldude:

Return to “Toyota Surf & 4Runner”