Rear Wheel Bearing Leak Problem

You can ask your Surf and 4Runner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Maputo
Vehicle: 1999 Surf 2.7L 4x4

Rear Wheel Bearing Leak Problem

Post by Firstoneman »

Have replaced the wheel bearing twice this year...my mechanic did the work. The driver side bearing seal starts leaking after driving the newly installed one for a short while. The first went within the first week. The second has failed after two months of moderate driving. I'm fairly certain the mechanic is competent. But he admits that maybe there is something he's missing. Or, is it possible here in Mozambique we are getting poor quality bearing seals from BMG?

I have access to seals in US and will be visiting for a short period of time soon. I can pick up some there. Anyone know if there is anything unusual about installating or seating of these seals that could be missed by my mechanic?

Thank you for assistance and knowledge.

Peace.
David
May You Thrive!!

David
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: durban
Vehicle: D4D hilux DC $X$

Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Leak Problem

Post by Lorry »

Hi.
When i bought my van I noticed that it had a leaking bearing seal as well also drivers side , the mech at the dealership that i bought the vehicle from replaced it but within a week it started to leak again, i took it to my mech to have it replaced. He replaced it and said there are two things that can cause it to leak, 1. incorrectly installed seal and one has to be gentle and careful when installing it with regards to the seals, the other is the shaft, if it is bent this will also cause a leak. Luckily my mech installed it correctly and the leak stopped. make sure you replace the seals with agent ones.
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Hi there David and Lorenzo.I am driving a 2,5 srx D4D as well and also had side shaft leak issues.
I purchased my d4d 2nd hand about 3 and a half years ago and after a few months the LHS side shaft started leaking.I removed the shaft and fitted a new bearing and seal kit to my vehicle. I used the old bearing and seal as a sample to obtain this new kit from Bearing Man.
After a short period ,the shaft started leaking again. I again fitted a new bearing and an original seal which I obtained from Toyota.The seal leaked once again after a short period.

I at this stage suspected that the side shaft was bent and I fitted a new shaft,once again fitting a new kit as per my original sample of bearing and seal.The shaft leaked once again after a short period.
I was now at my wits end.According to the local BM manager,I was definetaly fitting the correct kit.

I mentioned my problem to one of the forum members in East London who owns a mechanical workshop and he was certain I was using the incorrect kit.He was correct.
The correct kit has a bearing with a collar on it which makes the bearing wider.
I installed the new correct kit and my problem is now solved.

The bearings had obviously been replaced by the previous owner,using the incorrect kit and I took it for granted that the kit was the correct one.
The correct kit for my d4d from BM is kit 8038 .

I hope this stupid mistake of mine will help someone else, not making sure of the correct part no and taking it for granted that the old parts to be correct.At least I now have a spare side shaft for my troubles.
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Anyone know what the part numbers are for a kit for a 90 SFA?
Black Sam
Town: Mtunzini
Vehicle: Nissan Navara Pro 4x

Post by Black Sam »

I had the same problem on my driver side rear side shaft, it turned out that the side shaft was worn and the oil leaked past the seal.
M2CW
"LIFE'S A JOURNEY, ENJOY THE RIDE"
"WHERE THERE'S A 4X4....... THERE'S A WAY" .
"LEXUS - THE PURSUIT OF PERFECTION"
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

Thank you everyone for telling your similar experiences. I reread my message and realized I didn't mention that it was the rear seal on the driver's side. Sorry for such an oversight.

Is there a way to identify the *correct* seal/bearing/shaft part numbers through use of an axle part number in order to verify that we are not encountering a seal or bearing part that a PO may have replaced with wrong parts?

Thanks much again.
Cheers!
May You Thrive!!

David
Wayne
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 4x4

Post by Wayne »

Hi All

This only applies to 2001 - 2005 models
This is the likely problem with your rear axle leaking soon after a new bearing has been installed.
In the order of what is pressed on to the half axle shaft is the following: 1. Bearing, 2. Retaining Ring, 3. ABS ring, 4. Slip ring
The Oil seal seals on the Slip ring not the shaft.

So there are two possibilities:
1. On previous attempts to cut the rings and ABS ring off the shaft, the shaft was grooved or a flat was ground on the shaft.
When this happens the oil seal may work but oil can pass between the Slip ring and the shaft
2. Unlike all the other models the ABS ring and Slip ring is not pressed up hard against the retaining ring of the bearing. If this is done the slip ring does not sit in the seal.
The distance from the inboard side of the Slip ring to the face of the wheel flange (The face where the wheel is attached to) must be 121.5 - 123mm .
A easy way to check is to remove the ABS sensor and look down the hole at the ABS ring, The ring should be centre on the hole.

I have a pdf page I would like to attach that shows this if only I can work out how to do it.
Hope this helps.
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

Thank you Wayne for this post. It is helpful in that we can look at the shaft and see if there is any damage. I recall my mechanic stating that he thought during a previous repair by PO that rings were cut off. I didn't ask him to show me why he thought so. I really don't think he'd miss if the shaft was damaged in a manner that it would allow for a leak as you say, but...why did he think that about the previous repair? Maybe also, the rings are positioned wrongly for the seal to work properly.

But the other problem that came along with this leak problem is some sort of slipping in one of the rear wheels during takeoff from some stops (I think it's driver's side, but just can't be sure). I haven't been able to identify a pattern to this behavior. I call it slipping, but it also reminds of a time when I had damaged my ABS sensor on my Ford Explorer 4x4 and it presented with an occasional "slipping" like effect, but really the ABS was grabbing briefly in a slow turn then the wheel would "slip" as it was let go. Maybe "spin" is better term. My ABS light never showed on the dash. It wasn't until one day in the yard that I had a very freakish experience with the engine surging & the Explorer lurching about that the ABS light finally came on. Was very happy it happened there...had to throw the auto gearbox into park to tame the freak. Once I replaced the damaged sensor the slip problem was gone.

Anyhow, now I have two problems. But pretty sure the slip/spin problem is related to something to do with the bearing leak problem - the one came with the other. My differential is still near to full of oil so it is a very slow leak therefore I don't think the slip problem is a low oil problem.

Thanks.
Wayne wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:54 pm Hi All

This only applies to 2001 - 2005 models
This is the likely problem with your rear axle leaking soon after a new bearing has been installed.
In the order of what is pressed on to the half axle shaft is the following: 1. Bearing, 2. Retaining Ring, 3. ABS ring, 4. Slip ring
The Oil seal seals on the Slip ring not the shaft.

So there are two possibilities:
1. On previous attempts to cut the rings and ABS ring off the shaft, the shaft was grooved or a flat was ground on the shaft.
When this happens the oil seal may work but oil can pass between the Slip ring and the shaft
2. Unlike all the other models the ABS ring and Slip ring is not pressed up hard against the retaining ring of the bearing. If this is done the slip ring does not sit in the seal.
The distance from the inboard side of the Slip ring to the face of the wheel flange (The face where the wheel is attached to) must be 121.5 - 123mm .
A easy way to check is to remove the ABS sensor and look down the hole at the ABS ring, The ring should be centre on the hole.

I have a pdf page I would like to attach that shows this if only I can work out how to do it.
Hope this helps.
May You Thrive!!

David

Return to “Toyota Surf & 4Runner”