Head Lights from Auto Style

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Head Lights from Auto Style

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Guys

How about a set of Autostyle headlights :mrgreen: 8) :lol:

http://www.autostyle.co.za/prodview.php ... dstr=&str=
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Head Lights from Auto Style

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Justin,

We do have a member here who is using these lights, can't remember offhand who it is, but he did state the lights worked well!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi FD

I think Kaspaas has something smilar
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

I think you are right, and if I remember correctly he said you must check that it has glass lenses and not plastic ones. The plastic ones apparently fades quite quickly Anyone knows if these has glass or plastic? Otherwise, I'll check it out next week, when I pass then in Mayfair.
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
wikus
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Rretoria
Vehicle: 99'HILUX 2700IWITH HI-LIFT JACK,800W INVERTER,27/29MHZ RADIO,GARMIN 510,DUEL BATTERIES,RENAULT MEGANE F1,CHALLENGER OFFROAD TRAILER

Post by wikus »

Hi Johann,

ek het by outostyle n stel gekoop so 8 maande gelede.hulle werk baie nice,geen probleem met hulle nie.

die bakkies lyk mooi met hulle.

wikus
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

I think I should get myself a pair :mrgreen:
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

I see they also sell a Xenon kit for the lights
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Here we go again...

:mrgreen:

Bennie, wat dink jy van Xenon kits vir daai ligte?

hehe

:wink:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Justin

Don't let us put the spotlight police onto you Image
Go search the threads here and on the community forum about these kits.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hehehe :lol:

Maybe what I should do is mod the BMW Xenon setup to fit the lights :mrgreen: I have plenty of bits to get it done the control unit is very simple shouldnt be to difficult 8)
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Guys! Those lights are similar to the ones Kaspaas is equiped with. 8) 8) They do shine "'n hond uit 'n bos uit!".. And the price is also not too drunk.. :twisted: 8)
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Castos
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: Ry die vyand
Club VHF Licence: B01

Post by Castos »

Ek weet of almal dit weet nie. Maar IPF maak 'n stel hoofligte vir die Hilux met die vierkantige hoofligte. Hulle is ook nie so bad geprys nie R350 -R450.

Ek wil binne kort 'n stel kry. Is amazing hoe goed dit werk.
97 Hilux Raider D/C With some exstra's
Elands4x4
Ons gaan dieper en bly langer!!!
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Castos wrote:Ek weet of almal dit weet nie. Maar IPF maak 'n stel hoofligte vir die Hilux met die vierkantige hoofligte. Hulle is ook nie so bad geprys nie R350 -R450.

Ek wil binne kort 'n stel kry. Is amazing hoe goed dit werk.
Vertel bietjie meer
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

You've lost me again :?

What is the outcome, are these H4's a good buy then? :?

Xenon kits fit? :shock:

My Original headlamps are dangerously dim :cry: so I'm desperate to get me some replacements :!:

What say you Bennie :?: (Ingells Asbl :oops: )

Cheers :wink:

Rich 8)
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Rich.. the short answer... Buy now, ask questions later.. They work.. 8) :shock: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

The consensus was reached a while that after market Xenon kits are dangerous as the halogen reflectors and lenses will cause you to blind oncoming cars and the rear usable light is not that great compared to decent halogen globes in your lamps. If you want Xenon then you must have a complete lamp designed for Xenon globes with the right lenses and reflectors which is not available for Hiluxes after market. The same apply to upgrade kits for halogen spots. I am not sure but I believe KC makes Xenon spots but for how much I am not sure.

Castos mentioned that IPF makes replacement headlamps for square lamps on what I presume is for a SFA at R 350-450. We are now waiting on him for more info.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

O ja I forgot to mention that there is a possibility that you can be fined if using after market Xenon kits as they might be illegal, but I can not remember exactly why. Go and search on the community forum there was a thread about it recently with links to lighting specific forums as well.
Castos
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Castos »

Sorry, I'm seeing the guy from 4x4 Megaworld this weekend. I've arranged a very good deal on products from them for our club. He told me 3 weeks ago it will not be more than about R450 per headlight. They are designed for slow offroading driving. Like obstical driving etc.

I know they use a normal 55/60w globe and the bright is 150w maginfied.

PS: I've just installed a set of Osram silwerstar globes and it made a HUGE difference in my headlights. R90 for a set at Autozone.
Elands4x4
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Post by Jaws »

The Link for Cookie Monster regarding Xeon kits

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... sions.html
:thumbup:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Thanks Herman that was one of the links I refered to earlier.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

:mrgreen: I see the mention of Xenon kits has caused a stir once again :lol: However as mentioned above I have access to Xenon kit for a BMW which will not cost me a cent so I can do a few tests with it and measure the light pattern with the Hella tester we have here in the workshop. It will be intresting to see what the outcome is. However the piont of this thread was more the replacement lights which I am more intrested in. I see Kaspass has some in his van and he seemed to be inpressed what do you guys think :?:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

The Xenon lights offer the driver of the vehicle a nice clear pattern, but they do tend to (dangerously) dazzle oncoming traffic, if fitted in the standard light fittings on a vehicle. There was a long discussion on the Community Forum regarding this, and eventually we tired of the Seller's attitude, who simply kept quoting "one million users can't be wrong!" Not a very scientific test, and I think we nuked the whole thread on the Community forum, but it might still be hiding there somewhere.

Decent wiring and the use of relays if your Hilux does not already have them, work wonders for good lights with the standard H4 globes, the Osram Silver Stars have a lot going for them but you should always carry a spare set with you, they do not last as long as the conventional H4's do.

New Hella SFA light fittings (sans globes) only cost some R70 or so each, I have replaced one in Bulldog and both lights in Shorty.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

I intend to do some tests to see what effects they have when placed in both the standard Hella type lenses and the replacement lenses as shown above the tool we use not only ajusts the cut off which is part of the lens but also measures the light intensity over and under the normal output and then I will measure the results against the factory fitted items. Bearing in mind I have not taken a decistion to fit any Xenon kits. Unfortunatly I did not follow the Xenon argument on the comunity forum so I cant comment.

I have however decided to fit the replacment lenses as mine are not right as I have one sealed beam and one open. And the light geven off really sucks and when you are used to Xenon everything els sucks!
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

So......................

Xenon aside (on the back burner as I hate being dazzled by the damn things myself) :!:

Should I go ahead and order a pair of these headlamps to replace my horribly poor H4's? :?:

Standard bulbs or these 'Osram jobies' :?

Really appreciate the help guys :!:

Cheers :wink:

Rich 8)
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Justin,

Please try and post some before & after photos of the beams as shown on the Hella Beam tester, it will be interesting to see how the beam alters between the two technologies.

-F_D

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Of caurse FD :mrgreen:

My tests will not be totaly scientific however my tests will be more real world and not just here say. And I am the first to moan about badly ajusted headlights so I will not fit anything that does not work properly or could be dangerious to me or other road users 8)

As far as Xenon is conserned I think we as South Africans are so used to seeing on coming cars with bad lights that we compain when anything new comes along. I can only comment from BMW's point of view. All BMW vechiles with Xenon or BiXenon lights have active height ajustment and uses a pich sensor fitted in the boot which ajusts the lights height ajustment to spec when loaded and even when going over bumps. However everything has its limits and I think the problems come in when the basic ajustment is not done correctly in the workshop. BMW has been using Xenon tech in there cars in Europe since the mid 80's
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Justin

If you read through all the articles you will see that the guys were talking about the stray light when retro fitting Xenon globes into headlamps units that were not deigned for Xenon. It causes stray light even with properly adjusted lights. The Xenon lights in BMWs Mercs etc. is factory fitted and the lamp units have the correct lenses and reflectors to focus the light where it needs to go preventing stray lights from dazzling other drivers. If you follow some of the discussions on the lighting forums overseas you will see that they have published technical test data to prove this and it is not merely hearsay. Rather stick to Osram Silverstar globes in your vehicle and fit decent spot lights and or running lights to boost their capability.
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

I wouldn't fit the "Osram" globes. I fitted a set of the "Xenon effect" globes to my RAV a few years ago. It worked fine the first few months and gave a nice blue light, but then started deteriorating very rapidly. I had to refit my original globes after about 5 months.

Not worth te money! M2CW
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Bennie

I agree with what you are saying I will post pics when I do my tests as I said purely for intrest sake.
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Post by 3RZ »

I have been using Osram Silverstars in all my vehicles for the past seven years or so, never had one fail. The cool blues are junk in my opinion, replaced one at least every 3 months until I found the Silverstars. Has anyone tried the new Osram NightBreaker's ? I have been meaning to get a set, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Currently available in H1,H3,H4, H7 & H11, normal 60/55W & 55W rating. The info below from their catalogue.

"The ideal lamp for drivers who want to drive with more light for greater safety.
Thanks to a newly-developed high output coil and the blue ring coating, the headlight lamps of the NIGHT BREAKER product family

shine up to 90% more light on the street*
put out up to 10% whiter light*
*compared to standard lamps on the market
The lengthened light cone illuminates dangers and obstacles significantly earlier – for additional reaction time that can save lives!
The whiter light of NIGHT BREAKER also improves driving comfort by reducing dangerous eyestrain.
In addition, the patented blue ring coating leads to less glare for the driver: the clearly focused light beam concentrates the light exactly where you need it.
NIGHT BREAKER’s unique design improves the looks of your headlights. The typical silver cap (H4, H7, H11) and the blue ring coating make a striking impression.

Of course the NIGHT BREAKER family of lamps can be easily exchanged for any corresponding halogen lamps and are 100% street legal across all of Europe."
Last edited by 3RZ on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Castos
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Castos »

I'm with 3FZ, Osram are renown for quality. The are used by all the german branded cars. I've got a set on Hilux and my Polo. You can see the diff.

I've been using one set for 4 years in all my cars. Will newer use anything else.
Elands4x4
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

That's exactly what it was called, 3RZ! " Cool blues". Sorry, I couldn't remember the name exactly :oops: They are crap!

I'm also going to fit some of these Autostyle lights and will try the Silverstars. Let you know what I think.
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Willem,

Have they been released into SA yet? Might be worth a try...

-F_D

3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by 3RZ »

Eric there is a Bosch Diesel Electric outlet near where I work, I will give them a call tomorrow to find out if they have stock and get prices
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

Does anybody know if these lights are SABS approved? There is also another set of headlights http://www.autostyle.co.za/prodview.php ... dstr=&str=. What is a "semi sealed" unit? It doesn't sound like the type of light you need when the water is over your bonnet. :shock:
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Johan,

I think those are the same headlights that Kaspaas uses. Semi-sealed simply means that the glass & reflector are made into a single unit, but the globe itself is replaceable. Water could get into the reflector area at the globe, but if that should happen, that might be the very least of your problems :shock:

Rain water or moisture would never really enter there, the lights are fitted with a rubber boot which seals the globe and cable entry area pretty well.

-F_D

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Johan

Those lights also have what is called angel eyes which means the lights have a round or in this case a round hallow around them when the park lights are turned on. This is a copy of the angel eyes which origanaly came out on BMW's in the late 90's I prefer the other plane set like Kaspaas is fitted with
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

Tx for clearing that up! As I mentioned before, I'm a desk jockey and don't have too much technical knowledge :oops: , but hey, that's what I'm here for - to learn...

Is it very difficult to fit yourself, or is this also something rather left to the experts? Of course, after fitment I would have the lights checked and adjusted by a reputable centre.
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

They are not to difficult to fit however as you have mentioned the ajustment is best left to the pros
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Cookie Monster Bull wrote:They are not to difficult to fit however as you have mentioned the ajustment is best left to the pros
No need to re-adjust the headlamps after fitting them as you will not be turning the adjuster screws while fitting the headlights. 8)
Thys de Jager

3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by 3RZ »

Just spoke the guys at Diesel Electric abouth the Osram NightBreakers, they don't know what the price will or when it will be available, but it will be this year still.

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”