This is a Marlin Crawler Adapter Plate

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

This is a Marlin Crawler Adapter Plate

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

If you are wanting to have lower gearing in your Hilux SFA then you can consider the fitment of a Marlin Crawler kit, what you basically require are the following items;

Two complete transfer cases. Which you will use only a section of the one.
A front cardan propshaft.
A twin stick (gearlever).
Nibbler machine. (used to cut away the floor metal of your cab body)
Single front seats if your Hilux has the bench seat fitted.
New gearbox/transfer case rubber mounting block.
Various tools, basic socket and spanner set as well as a puller set.
New flange seals for the transfer case as well as two flange nuts (new) cannot use the old nuts.

Depending on the condition of the transfer cases, we recommend that you (or you get The Marlin fitted by a business that reconditions gearboxes and transfer cases) they can then also fit The Marlin Crawler adapter plate and all new bearings at the same time or you can do the job yourself, some advise, if you strip the transfer case's, take photo's as you go along, we had our transfer case outer housing bead blasted, please note, we did not fit The Marlin Crawler adapter plates ourselves, we had them fitted by a business up in JHB called Mr Driveshaft and Gearbox & Diff Centre Pierre tel 082 447 3237. You must remember to fit a front transfer case flange at the rear of the transfer case, the front and the rear flanges of the transfer case are a different size.

Pierre also completely reconditioned the two gearboxes at the same time.

Also please note, only one of The Marlin Crawler kits was supplied by Guy Heritage, the other was supplied by Riceburner who is another member here :roll: also known as Darryl cel 083 307 6192, if you are requiring Hilux items to modify your Hilux then give Darryl a call, he can supply various lockers, Marlin Crawler kits and a vast amount of other items as well.

I am not going to go into the actual fitment of The Marlin Crawler adapter kit to the transfer case, if you want to see how this is done then you can visit Marlin's web site http://www.marlincrawler.com who are in America, but we refitted the reconditioned gearbox as well as the recon transfer case back into the vehicles, make sure that you first fit a new rear main crank seal behind the fly wheel, make sure that there are no high spots on the flywheel, if there are then have it machined or fit a new flywheel, if you re-fit the old flywheel, check that the ring gear teeth are still healthy (not damaged), fit a new clutch kit which will also include a release bearing, do not fit recon stuff, it might be cheaper but is rubbish, go for a Sachs.

Once the gearbox and the transfer case is fitted, you now have to measure up the correct length that the rear propshaft will be, we decided to remove and do away with the centre bearing on the std existing rear propshaft, with the added length of the additional transfer case section and the adapter plate, we found that the angle of using the two piece propshaft would not be suitable, the angle is too sharp, thus we obtained a front cardan propshaft, modified it to fit at the rear, this is why we fitted a front flange to the rear of the transfer case, the front propshaft will not fit to the std rear flange of the transfer case.

Once the transfer case and gearbox were fitted, make sure that you do not forget to fill both units up with the correct oil, we use a GL 4 80 A gear oil, you can also lengthen the breathers if you want to.
We then measured up and cut a hole in the floor of the cab body large enough for the twin shifter gear levers, the existing gearlever that was used for the selection of the high/low and twd is removed, what you will basically have is now four gear levers, the small one will be re-fitted and will be used to select low or high range only, foreward will be low range and back high range, you still will use the normal gearlever for the selection of 1st to 5th gears.
I will explain the selection of the twin shifter in my reply to this topic, not sure how much space I have left in this thread.

More photo's will follow as well, twin shifter :arrow:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Re: This is a Marlin Crawler Adapter Plate

This is how you buy the kit and what it consists of

Note the extended speedo cable.

You should have seen the face of The Landrover driver behind me :wink:

With this Marlin Crawler fitted, this is what it allows you to do, your whole driving way changes

1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Here we have the rear propshaft, we did away with the two piece propshaft and the centre bearing. See photo for details, I said earlier, we have used a front propshaft with the cardan joint at the rear.

Now you must also remember that this is a special rear modified propshaft, it has to also compensate for the rear revolver shackles when we unlock them the rear axle drops down an extra 200mm.

The Cardan Joint they cost about R3 500.

This photo below shows the difference between the short normal std front propshafts and the longer modified front propshaft that we have used at the rear of my Hilux.

simoan
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Simon

Very intresting :mrgreen: What sort of cost are we talking here for such a awsome mod :?:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Post by Riceburner »

You can also just install 4.7:1 low range gears in the T case. Just as good and is alot cheaper and easier. I done it in a day and my crawl ratio is 98:1 not far of from 101:1 with dual lowrange cases both with 2.28 gearing.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

The problem with these crawler ratios is the cost to get the stuff.

One of the guys at he Nissan4x4 forum just imported a set of Crawler Gears for his hardbody. It cost him way over R8K just to get the little gears here.

They are now investigating the cost of copying these gears locally and then the other guys can order it from the local guy. It would still cost them about R 7,700 to make local copies of decent quality. That does not include the actual fitment into the transfer case. Dis darem baie geld jong :( :(
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Riceburner »

Ja but its well worth it
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Very much so, with the extra low range, this Hilux performs differently, you have more traction, you can handle the vehicle better, better control over side angle terrain, helps to protect the vehicle against breaking or abuse, but some warning, if we are out 4x4ing together, do not drive behind me.

And the twin shifter gives you tahe added gear selection and options, until you have fitted this kit into your Hilux, you will not understand the advantages of it until you have.

If you are wanting to buy this kit and fit it into your Hilux, then contact Rice Burner here he can supply and maybe will fit it for you, if you ask him nicely. :wink:

simoan
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Riceburner »

Thanks SC. its also gives you more control decenging steep gradients. I dont have to use my brakes anymore.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

SYRON CONVERSIONS wrote: but some warning, if we are out 4x4ing together, do not drive behind me.
Ja we know, we saw at Rust de Winter driving behind Riceburner. He drives so slowly the snails were overtaking him :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: At 3000RPM he soes a km/m (m=month) :lol: :lol: :lol:
SYRON CONVERSIONS

no you have got the measurement incorect, it take 20 years to get anywhere :wink: :!:

simoan
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Riceburner »

SC please call me ICW my Hilux. 083 307 6192
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

SYRON CONVERSIONS wrote:no you have got the measurement incorect, it take 20 years to get anywhere :wink: :!:
I forgot, Piet can you make Riceburner a sticker for his van that says Sghumi. :twisted: :twisted: That was the nick he received from the okes at when we did the Rust de Winter trail in May :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Toemaar Daryl ons spot net want ons is jealous :wink:
Jurgen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 1998 LR D1 V8i

Post by Jurgen »

Riceburner wrote:You can also just install 4.7:1 low range gears in the T case. Just as good and is alot cheaper and easier. I done it in a day and my crawl ratio is 98:1 not far of from 101:1 with dual lowrange cases both with 2.28 gearing.
Hi All,

Where can I get hold of such gears? At what approx cost? And by what ratio do they furthur reduce the 1st gear low approx?

Thanks
Jurgen
1998 LR D1 V8i
1989 Toyota Hilux 2200 DC 4x4 - sold with fond memories
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Send a PM to Riceburner (Darryl). He can get you the gears and know the prices.

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”