1984 SFA getting V6 power

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
wakkjobb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: colorado springs
Vehicle: 85 4Runner

1984 SFA getting V6 power

Post by wakkjobb »

Hi everybody, here are some quick notes:
1984 regular cab Hilux, lots of miles/kilometers :mrgreen:
WAS:
rusty frame and floors, welded front diff, 4.88 gearing, 22R engine, 35" tires, mystery lift springs, home-made front bumper
NOW:
solid frame and floors, Lok-Rite and Detroit, 5.29 gears, getting 3.4 (5VZ-FE) engine, 37" TSL radial tyres, 63" Chevy rear springs and RUFs with 2 leaves added from mystery springs, hydro assist with 6" ram, getting a better bumper, Warn xd9000i winch, lots of recovery points
FUTURE:
under-bed storage (has flat-bed now), rock lights, supercharger? :beg: , 40" Goodyear MTR tyres, rear disc brake swap, new 14" shocks, on-board air

Here's a link to my build from the start:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62610.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and it gets updated as things happen... or don't happen. Right now it's sitting outside while another 85 SFA 4Runner is getting a lot of rust replaced. When that's over, I'll start on the 3.4 build-up... but I'm not in a hurry for that.

>>Dan

Current empty engine bay:

Bearing material which killed the 22R:

My 1988 Celica AllTrac that I traded for the Hilux:

First time taking it out:

On 37" tires:

Posing with a friend:

I need longer shocks:
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Re: 1984 SFA getting V6 power

Post by zepplin »

Dan, that's going to be an awesome toy. What bellhousing are you going to use to mate the 3.4 to the box?
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
wakkjobb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by wakkjobb »

Using a R150F transmission; they bolt to the V6 engines. I will need an adaptor to fit the gear-drive transfer to it though... and that costs about $350.
wakkjobb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by wakkjobb »

Nothing much new, I have decided to get an automatic transmission for easier wiring. From what I've read I can use the autos from a T100 truck or regular 4Runners. I will still need a geared transfer case adapter though; doesn't seem to be a way around that.

>>Dan
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Hi Dan,

Nice project. What will the estimated cost be for your future project?

Thomas
Sent from my iPhone
wakkjobb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by wakkjobb »

I have no idea for certain, but a friend has swapped a 3.4 into his 79 Hilux and I think his cost between $4000 and $5000 after it was all said and done.
I am expecting this to cost about the same since we are using similar parts; but my engine was free :thumbup:

Here is my basic plan:
$500 (?) freshen up the 3.4
$300 (?) auto trans
$350 geared case adapter
$200 (?)driveline modifications
$150 (?) crossmember
$150 two top-shift t-cases
$350 dual case adapter
$200 exhaust work
$500 random bits and pieces along the way
---> $2700 so far...

Prices and plans are subject to change... as always. I'm afraid to keep a total of money spent on projects; it's less painful to total it all at the end. When I built my AllTrac I didn't do that until I sold it; I had $3800 in parts and $billions in my work, blood, sweat and tears. :blackeye:

But it was fun and I'd do it again.

>>Dan
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Keep us posted of your progress! :thumbup: :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

wakkjobb wrote:$billions in my work, blood, sweat and tears. :blackeye:

But it was fun and I'd do it again.
>>Dan

Do you have family in these parts, because those words were spoken like a true South AfriCAN!!!! :twisted: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :twisted:

Oh.....Love your Truck man!! :thumbup:
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Nice job! Looks alot like my "luxter" project
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
wakkjobb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by wakkjobb »

I am trying to work a deal to get a bobbed 87 4Runner for $1500 and stick my axles under it, then sell the cab and frame of the 84. This is what I'm trying to get:
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/2416000509.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The IFS would go away immediately along with the 3" body lift of doom.

>>Dan
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Sounds like a Monster Hilux you are planning!!!
wakkjobb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by wakkjobb »

I am starting to work up a deal to sell the 84 cab/chassis but keep the axles. Right now I just want to sell the 84's cab, bed and frame so I can start building a 4Runner or Surf Edition if that's what these are known as "over there". :think:

My wife says I can only have one project at a time so I won't be able to build both the 84 and a 4Runner together. I guess it is better this way since building rigs is expensive now and then. :wth:

>>Dan
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Bummer! But do both then .... just "one at a time"! :laugh2: Keep us posted all the same, good luck! ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
wakkjobb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by wakkjobb »

Today I picked up a top-shift transfer case with driveline brake and heavy-duty mount for $50; can't beat that! The seller also threw in another square front driveshaft... I can always use more metal around the shop.

It is the weaker 21-spline input and I will have to swap it out for a 23-spline for it to survive behind a V6. At this point I am figuring on building the cases with 23-splines all the way through just to be on the safe side. It will cost more but it won't break... I hope.

>>Dan
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I've seen the drive line brake on earth moving equipment before and once suggested it here as a handbrake option for guys wanting to do a rear disc brake conversion. Not in my wildest dreams did I know that there was something like that commercially available for the SFA .... I see that yours is complete with calliper and lever assembly. NICE! :thumbup:

wakkjobb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by wakkjobb »

https://www.allprooffroad.com/pickupbrakeupgrades/33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$250... and I got one with my $50 transfer case! Awesome!!

It works with the stock parking brake cable and now I'm thinking of making up some rear disc mounts when I get the truck into the shop. The seller had some IFS calipers he was going to throw away but I felt a little guilty for buying this for cheap; I may go back and give him $20 for the calipers.

>>Dan
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

you got really lucky! :thumbup: ;-)

wakkjobb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by wakkjobb »

Whatever I build next will be called "El Cheapo" since a LOT of main parts were free or dirt cheap: engine, tires with wheels, spare tire and this t-case. I have ben keeping an eye out for a 4Runner for under $1000; no luck yet.
wakkjobb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by wakkjobb »

Picked up another top-shift transfer case this weekend for the low-low price of $25... with transmission attached! The trans is junk (odd-ball side shift thing) but the t-case works as it should.

It's all coming together... slowly. The guy I bought it from needs a trans for his 1980 Hilux so I'm checking if my 1984 trans will fit. If so, he wants it and will pay me to install it as well. Awesome! I may have paid $25 for the trans/case but I may make $300 to $400 in the end! Call me Midas... :cooldude:

If this works out like I hope, I may have a dual transfer case adapter by the end of July: http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-c ... it-mc07-xd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

>>Dan
Gunta
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Good job :thumbup:
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
wakkjobb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by wakkjobb »

Well I opened up the transfer case and was greeted with a lot of water. Great.

I may keep looking for another t-case since this one may be junk. A few friends tell me it'll be fine with new bearings, but I haven't taken it apart enough to know for sure. I have been too busy with work and crap to even get to the shop in a while; that will change after this weekend.

On a good note, I picked up a Hypertherm PowerMax 30 plasma cutter yesterday; I might get around to opening the box sometime this week. Maybe.

And it was back to work after a few days off for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb; where Monster Tajima broke his record by 10 seconds and almost hit my friend in the process. Good times.

At least I can drive nice fast cars at work:

>>Dan
wakkjobb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by wakkjobb »

In the past few months I have been gathering parts:
R150 trans
matching ECU for the 3.4
2-piston York compressor
5-gallon air tank
rear disc mounting tabs
fenders/doors/grille/hood

...and an 85 4Runner:

The guy was parting it out so I had to bring my axles to get it loaded on the trailer but we ran out of time to switch the rear axles. Picked it up for the low-low price of $260 and $70 for diesel! :o:

Dropped it off behind the shop and wrapped it up because snow was coming:

Today I moved the parts from the 84 into the 85 and made a quick list of things to sell from the 85. Now I have extra interior pieces, doors, fenders, grille and hood... I'm going to sell the spare stuff to get the 85 moving along this year. There is rust in the rear wheelwells but I don't care at all; I plan on cutting it out to help fit the 37" tires that will go on later.

With the 3.4 swap, it is normal to use a 2" body lift to avoid cutting a hole in the hood for the 3.4's intake; I am not going to body lift this... I'll chop the hood. I'd like to see some hood scoops from over there; I think the diesels have smaller scoops? I don't need a really wide one; maybe 6" across or so.

>>Dan
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

Hi Dan,
It looks like a nice project you got going, keep us updated. :thumbup: :thumbup:
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

Dan, fitted my 5VZ without having to lift body or cut the hood. Looks totally stock on the outside.
wakkjobb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by wakkjobb »

What year truck do you have? The 79-89 trucks I've seen with the 3.4 swap have been body-lifted or hood scooped from what I've seen. My buddy has a hole in his 79's hood:

And Doug has a holy hood in his 86; you can kinda see it here:

I found a few Hilux/Vigo diesel scoops around but they're all in the Far East... I was hoping to find one a little closer; like in this hemisphere.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/104 ... COVER.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are there scoops like this in your area? I'm pretty interested in getting a scoop like this; the LEDs will be very unique to say the least. I haven't seen anything besides stock scoops (on the TRD Sport editions) so this will be pretty neat.

>>Dan
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Here's a nice scoop .... don't know what it comes off ..... http://capetown-westerncape.gumtree.co. ... Z350913322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ..... however, if it's wide like that you'll have to cut through the underside ribbing of the bonnet which might allow too much flexing.

The scoop off a Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo should work fine. Might be a good idea to sniff around the breakers yards and see what you can find.

;-)

wakkjobb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by wakkjobb »

Here in the breaker yards the scoop choices are minimal at best. Most of the scoop-equipped hoods are factory and not removable; I mean: the scoop can't be taken from the hood since it's all one piece of meatl. I was thinking it would be cool to get a scoop from "over there" to be different "over here" and I don't want to get a cheap stick-on scoop from an auto parts store.

I want something that works!

>>Dan
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

wakkjobb wrote:What year truck do you have? The 79-89 trucks I've seen with the 3.4 swap have been body-lifted or hood scooped from what I've seen. My buddy has a hole in his 79's hood:
Here it is a 1997 model but is the same as the green one you traded your Celica for.
Attachments
IMGP9903.JPG
wakkjobb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by wakkjobb »

That is so unfair the US never got those sweet 4-doors... after 89 ours got all rounded and lame looking. I'd also love to have a diesel for the torque power!

And today I picked up a topper for it:

One of these days I'll get around to actually wokring on it instead of just moving around all the parts.
wakkjobb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by wakkjobb »

Overdue update:

Parted out/scrapped that red 4Runner, sold off a LOT of parts, switched jobs, got a divorce and picked up this:

I also picked up this truck for $100 from friends who owed me money:

The 4Runner has dual transfer cases and rock sliders, I have 35" tires for it now too. I will be building bumpers for it soon and re-gearing the axles to 5.29 ratios. Other things I will add are: on-board air tank, CB radio, storage bins in the back and stuff for overland type travels... power inverter, sleeping area, refrigeration and so on.

The truck will be a daily driver; I don't fit too well in regular cabs. It came to me with a bad head gasket which I fixed in a day, along with removing the emission junk. Both need exhaust and other things, but that will happen over time and as money allows.

I get a lot of build ideas from this forum for overlanding and hope some of my ideas can be useful to someone else. For example, I took a piece of an early Honda CRX (84-87) and fit it to my dashboard:

I like it better than the stock glove box, and nobody else has one... now I have two. :thumbup: It was easy to do; take apart the dash, remove the center vent ducting, cut to fit, glue in and reinstall. I use 3M's panel adhesive since I worked at a body shop and it happened to follow me home when I quit. :mrgreen:

So there you have it; I'm back and ready to learn from you and to show what I can do.

>>Dan
wakkjobb
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by wakkjobb »

More than a year later and a LOT has changed:
new cylinder head
another 3.4 engine to swap in later
new girlfriend who bought me 38" tires :yahoo:
more armor on the 4Runner
more stickers too...
new job at a Land Cruiser shop: http://redlinelandcruisers.com/ where I painted this: http://redlinelandcruisers.com/2015/07/ ... storation/ and did a lot of work on this: http://redlinelandcruisers.com/2014/04/ ... rders-now/ which went to the SEMA Show in Las Vegas last November.
same big dog:
and more random stuff along the way. Here are some details:
A week after I bought the tan 4Runner the head gasket started leaking coolant along the driver's side. Fixed that. Then the water pump started leaking... fixed that too. Bought some used 35" Goodyear MTR tires for it and some nice new 17" wheels. Scratched the crap out of them the first trip through the rocks... oh well, they're just steel wheels. Took it wheeling a few more times, eventually swapped out both axles for a pair of built axles I picked up for a song. 5.29 ratios, Detroit front locker, E-Locker rear, Marlin Hi Steer and the IFS hub/brake conversion. I saved up enough to get a new cylinder head from engnbldr.com with the larger valves and their 261-degree crawler camshaft. It was that, or spend about the same rebuilding my head... might as well upgrade, right?
Earlier this year I picked up a wrecked 1998 Tacoma to use for my 3.4 swap this winter; it's a complete running truck, but since I've had it I have sold off a lot of parts I won't need. Soon I will remove the engine/gearbox and dispose of the cab/frame; it takes up a lot of room. In the mean time, I have bought a few parts for the swap in hopes there is little wasted time when I'm actually working on it.
That's about it; other stuff is not as important or pertinent so I will spare you the details of everything else. :D:
Here are a few pictures of what I've been up to:

buying more 4Runners:

went wheeling last October... surprise snow storm:

tested out a friend's new suspension; it works very well:

There's more, but I don't have them loaded from my camera right now. The immediate plans are: keep it in one piece until the snow flies, then start the 3.4 swap. we'll see how well that goes in a few months... :think:

>>Dan
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Post by Reinart21 »

Wow, awesome stuff!! Keep it up.

Kudos to the new GF who buys the right stuff!

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”