2.5 Mazda diesel ombouing

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
mornay
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: hilux d/c 4x4

2.5 Mazda diesel ombouing

Post by mornay »

Manne wat al 2.5 Mazda ombouings gedoen het ,gee my asb julle opinies?

Wil graag daardie roete gaan ,het tans 4y met brospeed en weber ,het ook gekyk na 3ct maar ek kon nie baie inligting bekom nie.

Ek weet inruil waarde ens is in gedrang ,ek het voertuig alreeds 15jaar en beplan om hom nog vir baie jare te gebruik.

FOTO'S ooK ASB !!!
Darcor
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2002 Hilux 2.7 4x4 DC

Re: 2.5 Mazda diesel ombouing

Post by Darcor »

hi Mornay. I've done this conversion and it was worth every cent, blood, sweat and ....
what area do you stay in?
mornay
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mornay »

I stay in N/Natal .How can I contact you ,need advice please!!!
Darcor
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Darcor »

Hey Mornay, leave me your mail address. I'll send you any info you need.
Regards..
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

At the heart of every good hilux there is a Ford motor :tease: :laugh2:

have not done one, however have read about a few and every one seems to be happy

a friend has ford 2.5td, and he is very happy

the only electronics on those motors are the electronic cut off valves or something like that

very simple, reliable, plenty spares, and easy to keep going

good luck, and pls post some pics as you go along :cooldude:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I also drive a 2000 Ford Ranger 2.5td and I am happy with the motor. Willing, and quite responsive. Not that light on juice though, especially if you start using it hard in town, but very drivable. The only problem with these Fords/Mazda's are their gearboxes, but Hoppy fitted a Hilux box onto mine and it works very nice now. i have put more km's on my Ford in the last 18 months than I did on my Hilux in 4 years. I love my Blou Limo!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
doppies
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: keetmanshoop
Vehicle: toyota , land rover
Club VHF Licence: no

Post by doppies »

Ek woon in Namibia met baie warm temprature en my vraag is of die verkoeling effektief genoeg is , veral met die aircon aan ? My tweede vraag is daar genoeg clearance tussen die sump en diff op die SFA ?
Darcor
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Darcor »

Yes Doppies, you fit a Toyota KZTE Radiator and keep the Mazda's Viscous Fan and the cooling is ample. The Diff/Sump clearance is only going to work once you've raised the body with a lifting kit by at least 50mm. 50mm is tight, but it can be done. I had to measure and measure again before setting the motor in place to make sure the Sump will clear the Diff undercompression of the Shocks in a straight line. No problems when articulating...ie when off road. If you want to and can, lift the body by 75 -100mm and definately no problem. Good luck with the conversion. It is the best reward as far as drivability goes and better fuel consumption.....
Darcor
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Darcor »

Yis Mornay....e-mail: dgswanepoel@live.co.za
Slowpoke
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: '96 Hilux Raider DC 4x4

Post by Slowpoke »

I am very interested in this conversion myself. Have a 22R in a '95 hilux. It's a great motor but lacks legs on the long uphill and gives around 6km/l if I drive nicely which is getting expensive in these days. Have only ever heard good things from the ford 2.5tdi diesels.

Few specific questions.
I see you need to raise the suspension. Is it perhaps an option to raise the engine mountings or will this make a marraige to the gearbox impossible?

Can I keep my standard toy 5 speed 4x4 gearbox and find an adapter/bellhousing to marry it to the 2.5tdi?

What does such a conversion cost? And where to source the motor from?
Darcor
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Darcor »

hey Jacques, no need to lift suspension. You just do a Body/Cab Lift so the back of the motor doesn't touch the firewall when in position and twisting under torque. The lift will also afford you the leeway to set a reasonable gap at the bottom for Sump/Axle clearance. There is a moulded bell housing available to marry the std gearbox to the 2500td. Alan Venter from AEW Auto can assist with this. His Forum Alias is "Hoppy" Good Luck!!
Slowpoke
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: '96 Hilux Raider DC 4x4

Post by Slowpoke »

Thanks Darcor, top notch feedback :thumbup:
LEEBOY
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East London
Vehicle: sfa hilux

Post by LEEBOY »

hi, also did this conversion and its the best ever. get between 7 and 8 k to a litre. the conversion is easy as everything is on the right side. also got the aircon working with the new gas which is a bonus. i have 32' bighorns and will still leave any 4y-22r behind. i also have 2 mazda inter-coolers mounted on top of the engine with an isuzu 300 scoop.
mornay
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mornay »

Middag Manne ,

Ombouing uiteindelik klaar ,hy trek nou lekker man!!!

Hier en daar n paar probleme ,

-hoe maak mens met "REV COUNTER" ?
-watter groote bande ,om "revs" af te bring ,kan hoor hardloop hoog op 100km/h, band grootte huidig 30x90.5x15. Weet nie of 31x10x15 die ding gaan doen nie?
-aircon pomp wat saam met motor kom druk teen susspensie vas?
-hoe koppel mens die "glow plugs " op ?

Die branstof verbruik is defnetief beter teen oor 4y en baie meer krag veral teen hoogtes ,jy haal hom nie uit 5de.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Goeie Dag Mornay,

Die Revcounter gaan jy 'n Diesel een moet kry. Ek weer moet 'n petrol een kry. Ons kan ruil. :?:
Darcor
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Darcor »

Hi Mornay, there is a pickup on the 2.5TD Motor that can be used with your "petrol" rev counter. If the tech knows what he's doing, he will mod the contacts at the back of your cluster to allow the use of the pickup on the diesel motor. I had mine done this way and it's near perfect...the higher the revs the less accurate...eg. at 120km/h with 30" wheels and a 4.875 diff ratio the motor should rev just inside 4500rpm in 5th gear. My rev counter indicates about 200rpm higher. I've gotten used to it and know where the revs are safely...

I have since fitted 33" tyres..it brings the revs down nicely and saves fuel!!! I went a step further and changed my diff ratios to 4.55. Even lower revving and more fuel saving. Only the Low range 4x4 rock climbing speed is negatively effected. Crawler gears next...gotta make some money first...anyone interested in an extra set of 33" AT Kumho's with 90% tread on it?

I also had aircon clearance issue, but fixed it first with a 50mm body lift, then adjusted the engine mounting height to clear things like aircon pump and sump...etc..

I found a universal "Glow Plug timer" from Sparxx. Works well!! See link. I also bypass it with a Toggle Switch connected to a Dashboard Light (to remind me it's on) for early morning cold starts. the Universal timer gives you +- 12 seconds of "glow time" with every start.

http://www.sparxx.co.za/advanced_search ... de%3Dquick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welcome to a select few who have a Perfect 4x4 with power and good fuel consumption!!!!
mornay
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mornay »

Thanks Darren for info !

I have fitted OME few years back ,will 33" muds work?

Have you fitted EGT ?

cheers
Darcor
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Darcor »

Hi Mornay, OME's AFAIK don't give you much lift. they do however provide a much more comfortable ride! 33" wheels work well on a SFA Hilux. Things to consider...! a 50mm body lift will assist in preventing rubbing on the inside fenders by the bottom door hinge. I also moved my front axle forward to further prevent rubbing under extreme articulation. It's definately worth doing these two mods as 33" is imperative to keep the revs down on the Diesel motor. They don't like long trips at constant high revs. I cruise 120km/h at just inside 3000rpm. Perfect for these motors.
There is a very good tutorial on this forum done by Hoppy explaining how to move the axle forward. It's time consuming, but easy to do.
Hope you get it right.
I will fit EGT soon. It helps on long trips when towing and sand dune driving in summer!!!!
PS! What radiator are you using? I'm using a Toyota KZTE Aluminium Radiator. Runs nice and cool...
mornay
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mornay »

I'm also using KZTE Radiator , I have fitted one of those Midas temp gage and its running more or less on 90 deg uphills to about 95 deg
I don't really know what the temp should be?
Darcor
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Darcor »

That Temp is great. The closer to 100degrees the more efficient it will be. If you are using a 1.1Bar Rad Cap your danger zone starts at about 108degrees.
TOYOTA 4YEFI
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Land Cruisr 80

Post by TOYOTA 4YEFI »

Hi i also have a kzte rad in mine but mine runs much cooler, i had a problem when going uphills that my temp would go up from 80 deg to 100deg so what i did was remove the bypass valve on the thermostat and it made a huge differance my temp is much more stable running between 80deg and 85deg i know its cool but i prefer it to run cooler as diesels dont like too hot running and its reduces the risk of headgasket failure. i also imported a egt meter (k-tipe thermo couple and a digital gauge) and it worked out really cheap at R 291 incl shipping compared to +- R1600 localy and does the job my egt runs between 200deg and 600deg when going uphills wich i heard is in the safe zone
mornay
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mornay »

Hi Darcor,

Do you may be have more info on the Rev counter issue ???

Spoken to tech and not to sure!!!

Would extended shackels work to get extra body lift?

What make EGT system and price ?
Darcor
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Darcor »

Hi Mornay,

The "pickup" from the Diesel motor is a square wave. Our Analog Rev Counters accept a sine wave signal picked up from the Coil usually.
I know the tech that converted mine bridged two contacts behind my cluster and connected the diesel pickup to one of the legs.
You might want to call Carlo from Modjects to clarify. I'm sure he wont mind. He's acually a heck of a nice guy.
His Number: 021 982 3289

If your extended shackel is about 210mmm long, you can expect about 50mm of lift.

Not sure of the EGT Make, but if it costs less than R2.5K dont go there. These devices take a lot of punishment and accurately depict EG Temperatures for many miles travelled...don't buy a cheapie!!!
mornay
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mornay »

Thanks ,

Going thech now ,will let you know!!!
Baasvark
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

Mornay,

How did the conversion turn out? Are you satisfied and what did it cost?

Shane
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Darcor
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Darcor »

My 5c, if you intend keeping your SFA indefinately...do this conversion. it's really worth it. My cost was approx R25k.
mornay
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mornay »

Hi Darcor ,

Het lank laas gesels.Sulkel nog met ref counter .Myne het ek laat uitbrand!!!
Sal die 2.4 diesel of 2.8 ref counters well werk dit wil se as ek een in die hande gaan kry ?

Cheers Mornay
TOYOTA 4YEFI
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Land Cruisr 80

Post by TOYOTA 4YEFI »

Hi ja die 2.4 se revcounter sal werk jy kry die signal draad van die Y terminal van die alternator af dan is hy 100% reg
mornay
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mornay »

hoe gaan ek te werk op forum of iemand vir my een het ?

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”