Facet pump noise on EFi

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Facet pump noise on EFi

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi gents,

I installed a Facet pump in front of the HP pump to protect the HP pump from cavitation damage on my EFi system. The Facet pump makes more noise than the HP pump (KRRRRR...). Is this normal? How do one silence it? (OK, it's basically installed without rubber mountings at this stage, will that help?)

Cheers,

C
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
AM Racing
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Re: Facet pump noise on EFi

Post by AM Racing »

Rubber mountings are all you can do there unfortunetly... Ideally you need the pump to feed a surge tank. This has been covered in depth so just search. There are a lot of usefull tips out there...
ImageImageImage
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

This is exactly why the best option, in terms of noise/cavitation, is to go HP pump in tank. I've heard many many opinions on this subject, but my personal experience is that the lift pump is unnecessary if the feeder piper from inside the tank is of large enough diameter, that being around 12mm, also make sure that the in-line filter allows enough flow, to much restriction and the cavitation/noise is back. The standard fuel pipe from the tank is 6mm, which, imho is not sufficient, the HP pump may not be noisy, but it sure will get hot and it's lifespan will be shortened!
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Mr_B wrote:This is exactly why the best option, in terms of noise/cavitation, is to go HP pump in tank. I've heard many many opinions on this subject, but my personal experience is that the lift pump is unnecessary if the feeder piper from inside the tank is of large enough diameter, that being around 12mm, also make sure that the in-line filter allows enough flow, to much restriction and the cavitation/noise is back. The standard fuel pipe from the tank is 6mm, which, imho is not sufficient, the HP pump may not be noisy, but it sure will get hot and it's lifespan will be shortened!
Hi Bretton,

So you're saying it's either HP pump in tank (which one and how do one install?) or 12 mm pipe (without Facet)? Mine's 8 mm. Is it normal for the Facet to make noise?

Maybe it's time for the surge tank option as well.

Cheers,

C
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Facet pumps are noisy and needs to be rubber mounted to the chassis and not the body.

8mm is to small, 12mm is right

A VDO type pump used on vw cars fits through the existing hole where the pipes bolts on
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Just mount like above sayed on the chassis on rubber feet, Facet pumps are noisy. Or take it out and install a Gud BS10 plactic filter in line before the Hp pump to protect the Hp.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

For this particular reason, I am changing my Tank on my SFA to the 2.7i Hilux tank with the pump mounted inplace as it should be with all the correct pipes and fittings ect.
Johan Marais
Musselcracker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: 1989 SFA D/C

Post by Musselcracker »

Hopefully toybox will have a look at this thread!

He performed some magic connection on my HP fuel pump when we did Gerties EFI conversion! The noise only sounds bad and seems to cavitate when my tank is really low! Like on the EMPTY line!!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Ek hoor ook net my faccet as daar nie petrol is nie (lank teen my ramp gestaan en al die petrol na die long range toe gevloei het). My tank se pype is nog die oorspronklike. So ek voer die faccet deur 'n filter met 6mm pyp. Die res van die stelsel is 8mm.

Die faccet hoef nie baie hard te werk nie want die return lyn gaan in die surge tank in en die faccet top maar net op. Ek het nog nooit regtig aan die HP pomp gevoel nie so ek weet nie of hy warm word nie
To God be the glory
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Dankie ouens, lyk my die surge tenk is maar die manier om te gaan. Sal 'n plan maak.

C

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”