2.2 EFI Conversion

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: '90 Hilux

2.2 EFI Conversion

Post by Willied »

Ok, so little over a year back I got to think that fuel injection is the way to go rather than a mechanical carb that needs adjusting every time I cross some sort of border or barrier.. such as going down to the coast or changing the octane of the fuel. It is after all the computer age and I can just as well have a proven instrument do the work for me..

Fuel injection would for all purposes improve the driving experience of the vehicle while providing increased power and fuel consumption. Two things that aren't usually synonymous when talking about motors. It would also cost a fraction of a motor swap which would have been great if it would be that straight forward.

Most of the computer bits would be compatible with that used to run a 2.7l Toyota motor given some added wiring. So if a motor swap is on the horizon these bits have already been bought.

As said in the beginning it all started some time back and bought the first bits last year Feb - march already.. Had time to clean and do additional research into which computer system to use. I finally decided on the Spitronics system. The system was bought mainly because there is support in Bloemfontein from known Independents and that the distributor does not need altering or modifications. The system comes with a detonator built into the ECU.

From a previous thread on cleaning aluminium I dropped the manifold into swimming pool acid which turned it blue and slightly "dusty" as the oxidized aluminium left a residue on the manifold. This removed all the oily residue form storage and previous motor it was used in. The local Bosch dealer sandblasted it for me in return for a 2l Coke for his staff.. ;D The result was rather worth the effort.. Image Image

Well worth it I would say.. Very happy with the results. Some cleaning was needed to remove all the sand from the throttle body section of the manifold.

This was the start on Monday last week.
Everything ready for fitment or what I thought would be everything.. As soon as work starts there is a hundred and ten little things you never knew about.

Parts purchased for the conversion:

Spitstronic ECU, wiring looms, relays and fuse holder
High pressure fuel pump
EFI manifold including, fuel rail, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, throttle body
Single coil magnetic distributor ( A 24 tooth dual coil distributor also available)
Fuel lines
Additional wires, and fittings
Wire trunking
Air hoses and other fittings
Air temp sensor
MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure - as used in other Toyota's)
Lambda sensor - for fine tuning
Idle Control Valve or stepper motor

The wiring was done as far as possible but eventually the motor would have to be stripped to continue with the conversion..
This was soon changed to this..

After stripping the manifolds off of the head all surfaces was cleaned and prepped for fitment of the new intake manifold. The new manifold is fitted in two parts. The bottom section holds the injectors and fuel rail as seen in the pics.

After this the top section of the intake manifold could be fitted. This section have been pre-assembled with the throttle body and some of the vacuum lines.

Then it was time to remove the vacuum advanced distributor and replace it with the replacement magnetic distributor. The pic shows the whole in the block where the distributor drive shaft fits onto the cam/oil pump.

Wiring was next on the list. Even tough it is a much cleaner job it was still pretty involved with all the do's and don'ts according to the easy to follow instruction guide. It was slow going but in the end only the fuel pump had to swing around as it was fitted in the wrong direction.
Wiring was done on the left hand side of the vehicle to make use of this open space under the hood.

The last part fitted was the only none Toyota mechanical part. The Idle Control Valve was taken from a 2l Jetta 3 as they are much larger than the original Toyota valve and is capable of idling the motor when under load such as inclines.

And the final product.. All wiring done and fitted into trunking..

Ps. Seals on the injectors will be replaced for a second time as it seems the pressure in the rail is to high and the o-rings at the top of the injectors keeps on leaking after some use. The loss of pressure prevents the motor from running.. :mad: I will only be able to get my hands on an adjustable fuel pressure regulator next week and will then post more on the actual performance of the newly enhanced 4Y.. :thumbup:
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Re: 2.2 EFI Conversion

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Baie netjies tjom, is sommer lus en doen die efi op my sfa myself. Jy laat als so maklik lyk! We'll gedaan. Hou ons op hoogte!
Sent from my iPhone
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willied »

Dankie Rebel..

Ek moet eerlik se dit was makliker in die ander manne se foto's as wat dit in die garage was.. Het my stert afgesweet en baie gevloek! Meestal omdat ek nie 'n vol snap-on, gedore of will's tool set het nie. Sal verseker oor die komende jaar werk daaraan om 'n ordentlike stel gereedskap op te bou sodat ek alles tot my beskikking het wat nodig is.

As mens eers in die ding is gaan dit maklik. Drade was stadige werk en baie oopkop wees. Myself gereeld gevang dat ek begin met iets soos die relays en dan aanbeweeg na die sensors net om weer by die relays te moet begin met die volgende stel drade.. Mens moet vir jouself n lys opstel en stelselmatig werk en dan is dit werklik kinder speletjies.

Ek moet eerlik se, dit sou makliker gewees het om nog 'n maand of drie te spaar en hom by Louis in Pta te gaan los het vir 'n week of twee. Dan is 'n mens net meer gerus met die eind produk wat jy kry, maar nou ken ek die sisteem deur en deur en weet waar om te begin soek as hy snaaks raak teen die pad met my.

Sodra ek heeltemal gelukkig is met hoe hy werk sal ek biedjie meer skryf oor hoe hy "perform".. :D
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Baie mooi Willie,Jy sal nie n dag spyt wees nie.My EfI conversion is deur Louis van Pretoria gedoen en ek geniet hom by die dag al meer en meer.Hou ons op hoogte met jou vordering.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Very nicely done, Willie! I'm sure it gives you a great sense of pride in being able to do this all yourself. When Bennie started with my EFI conversion and I looked at all the parts lying around, I figured I Bulldog would never ever run again, but Bennie sorted it all out. It was a bit of a learning curve for us both however, because it was the first one that Bennie ever did and we both (well, he had to explain it all to me :mrgreen: )learned a lot from the experience.

The only problems I picked up were superficial - the one fuel line leaked petrol when the HP ran and the plug leading from the distributor had a faulty contact that worked loose, both problems sorted although the latter one was tricky because it only caused the engine to cut out at high RPM. When the vehicle was stationary, it started everytime. I tidied the dizzy wiring up a bit and then it would not start at all, and that was when I discovered the loose spade terminal! ;)

Incidentally, that was also when I discovered that the dizzy rotates twice for every one rev of the crankshaft.... after swapping dizzies out I could not get the engine to fire at all and was sure that my timing marks were correct. They weren't!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willied »

Hey Eric, I have to say the dizzy was the bit that worried me the most.. I spoke to Jason from one of the other forums and he explained in detail.. then commonsense took over and i figured the dizzy has two ways to go in (if the motor wasn't turned over) and one would be right.. and Bob is your uncle.. it worked. Forgot about my anti hijack button and the bakkie would not start. Borrowed a timing light and all was fine.. then my dad reminded me of the switch that I thought would be rendered ineffective.. It started first time Thursday evening at 23:00.. Friday it was dead as the rail had started leaking for the second time. Got to get it sorted asap to get in it to map it properly..

Ps. Anybody know where I can get the supercharger off of a MR2 :twisted:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Mooi gedoen Willie. Ek is seker daarvan jy gaan daai conversion net soveel meer geniet na dit met jou eie hande (en sweet en vloek) gedoen is
To God be the glory
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Lyk vir my een van die dae het ons n forum EFI spesialis in elke provinsie

1 Louis-Gauteng
2)Bretton-Wes Kaap
3)Willie-Vrystaat
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willied »

CasKru wrote:Mooi gedoen Willie. Ek is seker daarvan jy gaan daai conversion net soveel meer geniet na dit met jou eie hande (en sweet en vloek) gedoen is
Dankie.. Hoop self dat ek nou redelik al sy in's and out's sal ken..
Lollie wrote:Lyk vir my een van die dae het ons n forum EFI spesialis in elke provinsie

1 Louis-Gauteng
2)Bretton-Wes Kaap
3)Willie-Vrystaat
Ek weet darem nie, myne moet eers suksesvol 'n trip doen voor ek enigsins so aan myself sou kon dink.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Willie, I wouldn't worry with an adjustable FPR, it's an unneccesary expense if your present FRP is working fine! If the injectors and fuel rail+fpr were sourced together then they will be a matched set. If not, a dyno will sort the potential over/under fuelling out. Sort out the leaky injector seals first! Please do send it for a proper dyno when it's ready, street dyno cannot get the same results. After a few hours of street dyno'ing we managed 84kw(first dyno run measurement), then after pro-setting on the dyno it went up to 93kw and was super smooth! A professional dyno is worth every cent!

The Spitronics Titan box is an excellent unit, just make sure it's well earthed, as they don't like iffy earthing!
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willied »

Mr_B wrote:Willie, I wouldn't worry with an adjustable FPR, it's an unneccesary expense if your present FRP is working fine! If the injectors and fuel rail+fpr were sourced together then they will be a matched set. If not, a dyno will sort the potential over/under fuelling out. Sort out the leaky injector seals first! Please do send it for a proper dyno when it's ready, street dyno cannot get the same results. After a few hours of street dyno'ing we managed 84kw(first dyno run measurement), then after pro-setting on the dyno it went up to 93kw and was super smooth! A professional dyno is worth every cent!

The Spitronics Titan box is an excellent unit, just make sure it's well earthed, as they don't like iffy earthing!
Hey Mr_B, I went to Toyota and bought a new set of injector grommets at R280 for the top and bottom 4 and still the same result. All the other o-rings was sourced from bearing man.. I have a feeling that the the missing damper might be part of the problem.. :cry:

As for the earth and other connections, each one was soldered.. even the connections going into lugs were soldered to the lug itself. Spent some time in the electrical class in school and saw the effect of a dry connections all to often.

As for Dyno tuning, we have two dyno shops in Bloem that are agents for the Spitronics units.. so the guy that told me that the installation should not be done by any guy in his own garage will be the lucky winner to get to dyno it.. :twisted:
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Kyk mooi as die pomp geprime is voordat jy start waar die lek vandaan kom, dit kan miskien van elders afkom. Kyk na die koper washers by intake fuel line, het al gekry dat die 'n klein fyn straal petrol spuit na die injectors en dan soek mens die fout daar.

O Ja, die intake is voor by no 1 injector, return is agter by no4 injector, as die anders om is GAAN HY LEK!!

Om te toets vir druk sal jy 'n drukmeter moet in T in die stelsel om die druk akkuraat te kry.(2.6-2.8bar)

Sterkte,
Louis
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willied »

Hey Louis, dankie vir die advies.. Het self ook die fyn straeltjie gekry wat alles natspuit, maar het uit injector twee gekom. Toe ek hom oopmaak was die seel mooi geskeer. Almal toe vervang en het so gewerk vir 'n ruk, maar toe is die probleem terug.

Ek heg hier 'n foto aan om te wys waar die probleem le. Het gehoop die sisteem sal werk sonder die pulse damper maar wil voorkom of daai ingenieurs wel reg was om dit in te sit.. :shock: Die rooi wys waar die petrol in kom na die rail toe en die groen wys waar dit uitgaan. In die inkomende kant sal jy sien is die pyp reguit op die rail gekoppel en ek is nou besig om een van daai dampers te soek.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Die pypwerk soos op die foto is reg. Die damper kan ek kyk of ek een het.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Ok, die intake fuel line, daai klamp gaan nie klank hou, die wat toeskroef is beter.
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willied »

4x4megaworldpta wrote:Ok, die intake fuel line, daai klamp gaan nie klank hou, die wat toeskroef is beter.
Reeds vervang.. Het nie genoeg klamps gehad met fitment nie en moes hom daarop sit sodat ek sou weet om hom te vervang. Verbasend net een lek plek gehad op die sisteem toe ek die eerste keer die pomp aangeskakel het.
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willied »

Okay, so ek het vir my een van hierdie bestel. Dit sal my instaatstel om die druk in die rail te stel en ook vir my 'n realtime lesing te gee van wat aangaan in die gebied. Dan is daar net nog iets in die sisteem wat kan help met problem shooting.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ek was by Dyno Tech hier in Bloem wat ook Spitronics ECU's installeer en die advies wat ek daar gekry het is om na die return te kyk. Daar is moontlik 'n blokkasie in die lyn of dit is te klein vir die kapasiteit. Sal die return eers in 'n emmer laat loop as die druk in die sisteem te hoof meet om te kyk of dit 'n verskil maak.
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willied »

Okay, some progress as allowed for over weekends..

I fitted a pressure regulator with a gauge. All is well in that department. I t'ed the return into the feed line to the pump and it seems to be working just fine. After some fault finding the diode on the 12pin connector to the EMU was rotated to be the right way around and we have ignition.. :razz:

She seems to be running a little rough but after playing with the maps and doing all the little adjustments to the manifold screws this should be sorted shortly. Will still tinker with the ICV as I am not sure I have it setup correctly. I have tested it and it opens just fine, must just fine tune when and how it opens. For time being the old throttle control fitted for the original diesel motor is used to keep the idle steady.

Louis, could I bother you for one of your maps to get myself familiar with how it is done.. I am still a bit afraid I might fry something. :beg:
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

I send one tonight, just pm your mail again.
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willied »

I big thank you to Louis for sending me two maps.. playing around with them at the moment and it's running real smooth.. Drives just as smooth..

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/5167/aqu.mp4
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

It makes a world of difference to "driveability", not so? :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willied »

It still has a little "flat" spot, but that will be tuned out shortly.. well when I am home again..

Got some tips from Sakkie and my brother and I am having the second set of manifold parts customized and will send it to a dyno shop afterwards. Will have it cut to match the brospeed branch flange, anodized to keep the clean look and then also gas flowed for that little bit extra smoothness..

Then who knows.. maybe there is a SC12 (off the 4A motor) supercharger in it's future.. :D
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

The flat spot will be gone if you Dyna it.
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willied »

Hey Louis, I have taken the lux to work for a while to drive it and sort out any possible niggles along the way.. Two small things came out and would like to know your ideas on it..

1. When the motor is running my laptop loses connection to the ECU and states that the software version is wrong for the application.
2. The motor has blown two relays on the 1060km trip of this week.. the relay running the coil and the petrol pump. The relays both started opening and closing uncontrolled and then got hot and died..

Where can I start looking for a wiring issue or should I have my coil tested?

Ps. All the fuses are in good condition and show no sign of higher than planned amps running through the components.
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Ek begin die efi treads te like.
Sent from my iPhone
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willied »

Rebel 4x4 wrote:Ek begin die efi treads te like.
Daar is net soveel informasie daar buite.. ek kan eerlik se min mense wat my geken het sou dink ek kon dit doen.. nou wat hy loop sonder groot probleme is dit werklik so maklik soos dit voorgekom het. Moet se ek kon hom die keer makliker trouble shoot as met die carb.. bloot omdat ek weet hoe hy aanmekaar kom en waar alles in mekaar pas..

Wane word jou van gedoen?
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Willied wrote:
Rebel 4x4 wrote:Ek begin die efi treads te like.
Daar is net soveel informasie daar buite.. ek kan eerlik se min mense wat my geken het sou dink ek kon dit doen.. nou wat hy loop sonder groot probleme is dit werklik so maklik soos dit voorgekom het. Moet se ek kon hom die keer makliker trouble shoot as met die carb.. bloot omdat ek weet hoe hy aanmekaar kom en waar alles in mekaar pas..

Wane word jou van gedoen?
Jong, soos ek almal hoor wat gelukkig is, doen ek dit sommer nou. Ek hoor die moeilikste ding is om die parte in die hande te kry. Eks nogal nie goed met "source" werk nie.
Sent from my iPhone
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willied »

Hier is Mym Spares se no.. Hulle sal al die intake parte vir jou binne 'n week kan stuur.. Jy kan vir hulle vra vir die dizzy ook.. dan is dit die ICV wat jy sommer oor die toonbank by Goldwagen gaan koop en as jy nie 'n spanner swaai nie vra vir Louis wanneer jy jou van kan inbook..

012 327 2480.. daar.. jy is 60% klaar..
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Willied wrote:Hier is Mym Spares se no.. Hulle sal al die intake parte vir jou binne 'n week kan stuur.. Jy kan vir hulle vra vir die dizzy ook.. dan is dit die ICV wat jy sommer oor die toonbank by Goldwagen gaan koop en as jy nie 'n spanner swaai nie vra vir Louis wanneer jy jou van kan inbook..

012 327 2480.. daar.. jy is 60% klaar..
Eish,

Louis is nogal ver van PE af....
Sent from my iPhone
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willied »

Rebel, daai is maklik.. eke kan afkom na jou kant toe.. Daar ken ek 'n meganiese Ing by GM en 'n man met jare se ondervinding as mechanic met 'n toergeruste shop in J-bay.. sorted! Dan gaan toets ons hulle by Brakkeduine..
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Kyk of daar nie draad of 2 seergekry het toe die harnas deur die firewall is nie.

Die Icv moet 110% geisoleer wees van die bracket en engin. Dit moenie earth!!

As die relays nie Bosch is nie, vervang met Bosch, maar dieslde tipe.
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willied »

Drade deur die firewall het nie een 'n skaaf merk op nie en is nog ordentlik geisoleer.

ICV hang nog in die lig aan die pype wat sit koppel aan die plenum, geen konneksie daar nie. Ek verstaan op die ICV nie werklik die Diode wat tussen die pole geplaas is nie.

Oorspronklike relay was 'n Bosch 30A relay, nou vervang met 'n no name 40A relay.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Is die ICV ge earth?
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willied »

4x4megaworldpta wrote:Is die ICV ge earth?
Nee, net die twee drade van die ECU en die relay wat aan hom gekoppel is. Die bedradings diagram het niks gewys van 'n earth nie..

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”