twin side drafts on 4Y?

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: '89 Hilux DC

twin side drafts on 4Y?

Post by Sven »

this might come as a random question, but has anyone thought of or attempted
rigging a 4y with side draft carbs, now my cylinder head has bin played around with a bit and im running a weber 38 dgas with a 29 venturi, think its a reworked cam aswell. but what bugs me about the brospeed intake manifold is the distance and corners that the mixed fuel travels before it gets into the actual cylinder head, which then only goes into the cylinders(also feel cylinder 1 and 4 get less fuel then 2 and 3, but thats just going on distance), i feel this would be limiting the mods done to the head. so the side draft carbs would be closest to direct injection that i would imagine. now i dont know if there are any places that would even have all the parts to perform the task but i do see some guys running side drafts on 22r's. and what problems would i encounter in terms of hill climbs? and the carbs sitting so close to the exhaust manifold?

(I know you will tell me that i should efi, just want my old school car to stay old school so that one day when my kid grows up he too can smell of petrol fumes, ha ha.)

appreciate any info. thanks guys
'89 hilux D/C SFA, import spec.4YImageImageImage
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: twin side drafts on 4Y?

Post by george »

I couple of years back I drove one and man o man that thing was a beast :thumbup: I cant give you much details al I know is when we did a trail the guy had to constantly stop and make adjustments.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sven »

could be my stunt double, my head is always under the hood these days with the weber making adjustments, just trying to get the the most of it.
so on a performance point of view it did seem to up the power a bit?
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sven »

off the topic, George, i really dig your signature quote!!!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Sven wrote:off the topic, George, i really dig your signature quote!!!
Thanks.

This guy only joined us for an afternoon on the trail,but that machine was a beast.Actually to much for the trail.There was a lot of wheel spinning.Maybe just his driving style.
There was also a problem with water. Every time he came close to water the motor whould splutter and die.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sven »

nice to hear, im also not looking to keep the throttle bodies open, but connect a 4 into 1 pipe connection and then connect that onto the original filter, im sure that will help with the water problem
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

You should EFi it! :twisted:
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: '05 LEGEND 35 2.7 DC 4x4, Monroe Gas allround, Long range tank, UniQ Chip. Platkar '06 Polo 1.6 Comfortline hatchback

Post by SWARTLUX »

Mr_B wrote:You should EFi it! :twisted:
I second that,my dad will aslo agree as he had his efi'ed and enjoys his van a lot more now.
Carbs just dont cut it offroad :thumbdown:
Hiluxfan_111
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Muscat and Midrand
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4

Post by Hiluxfan_111 »

"Carbs just dont cut it offroad"
That is even truer for a set of side draughts. You will loose a lot of low down torque. :naah:
Side draughts are more suited to making good power at high RPM. Your standard setup will be better off road.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Sides and offroad? no rather EFI.

Toyota had a rally winning TRD in the eighties that Serge drove, it ran a 4y motor with a 3T head, there is some mods to be done, but it fits, it's crossflow and you can get a manifold for sides off the shelf.
The mechanic that worked on it told me it pushed 140kw reliable.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sven »

Thanks guys for the reply, on the efi note, I truely understand that it would be the wise man's choice, unfortunately I don't feel like being the wise man at this stage :-) ha ha, you probably think I'm mad but my lux is not my transport, its more my hobby, an excuse to get grease, dirt, petrol, paint, grinding dust and welding flux on me in my spare time. So the side draft mod is something I feel like trying out even if its a complete mess :-) if all else fails I can always efi a korean import, ha ha.
So hoppy, any more info on getting those 140kw? Ha ha.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Sven,

4x4 + 4y + 2xsidedraughts = problems.

Rather go standard carb if you wanna stay with carb. Webers are made in the same era as oxwagens and thus your fuel consumption will be the same = Horrendous.

Standard carb is much better and when set up properly you can get up to 7km/l+ @ 100km/h without a load in the back.

Remember that the inlet tracts on a manifold is designed to help assist the motor to generate the torque. Longer inlets usually = more torque & tractibility from an engine. Go Look how long the Land Cruiser 4.5 EFI intake pipes are.

Short intakes are made to rev and make max power at high revs with rapid throttle response. None of this is applicable in a SFA application with a standard motor in it.

Want more power and more torque with better driveability and fuel consumption from the standard motor, FIT EFI. Nothing else can give you that in another carb form.
Johan Marais
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: '05 LEGEND 35 2.7 DC 4x4, Monroe Gas allround, Long range tank, UniQ Chip. Platkar '06 Polo 1.6 Comfortline hatchback

Post by SWARTLUX »

Sven wrote:Thanks guys for the reply, on the efi note, I truely understand that it would be the wise man's choice, unfortunately I don't feel like being the wise man at this stage :-) ha ha, you probably think I'm mad but my lux is not my transport, its more my hobby, an excuse to get grease, dirt, petrol, paint, grinding dust and welding flux on me in my spare time. So the side draft mod is something I feel like trying out even if its a complete mess :-) if all else fails I can always efi a korean import, ha ha.
So hoppy, any more info on getting those 140kw? Ha ha.
You should have bought a landrover it will keep you busy for a long time! :tease:
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Golof

Post by Dodging »

Gooi those sidies on - if only to let us know exactly how heavy on gas that 4Y can get :lol:
Nothing is impossible - it just costs more
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

I don't think any system can make the fuel consumption worse.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”