Pros & Cons concerning spring packs on your Hilux

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.

Which name brand springs do you prefer on your Hilux?

OLD MAN EMU
64%
PROCOMP
27%
STANDARD TOYOTA HILUX
No votes
IRON MAN
9%

Total votes: 11

SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Pros & Cons concerning spring packs on your Hilux

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Okay so if I was wanting to fit a new set of springs front and rear to my sinlge cab 1992 model 4x4 bakkie and I was wanting to use it to the extreme usage, driving mostly over rough rocky terrain what would be the best option to consider, not worrying about the price.

I already have OME Landcruiser shocks fitted all round which have not given me any problems as yet.

I am thinking of fitting OME spring packs. Now my only problem is that I already have extended revolving shakles fitted at the rear of the bakkie, not sure if the std OME springs would fit.

Do you get various types of OME spring packs for a Hilux in other words for various lifts?
It is a long time since I did any modifications to my Hilux because it goes most places anyway.

At the moment I have standard Hilux springs fitted, I used to have Black Diamond fitted but they kept on twisting and breaking the main blades.

Your input would be appreciated, comments and contact details of where to obtain these spring packs and who I can trust.

Thank's
:thumbup:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Pros & Cons concerning spring packs on your Hilux

Post by Mud Dog »

Money not being an object, I would go for either OME or Pro-Comp. IMO, OME gives a good all-round setup ..... ride comfort, good road holding and decent off-road ability, but if your main aim is off-road, I would give ProComp equally serious consideration and their shocks are not to be sneezed at either, but you already have OME shocks. If you currently have standard packs with the revolver shackles, then OME / Pro-Comp will fit without hassles.

Not sure of the Pro-Comp options, but OME gives you a couple .... basically it's about extra blades. Their blades are thinner in gauge, but there are more of them .... this gives the smoother ride. They also have Teflon sliders between the blades but I see many of the manufacturers have copied this these days.

Good luck with your decisions. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: '90 Hilux

Post by Willied »

Money permitting I will take the OME on your list too.. I am however running a set of Dobinsons and I am very happy with the performance.. if such a word can be used in the same sentence with a 22 year old Lux.. Good carrying capacity and not to stiff without load, flex could be better as this is where the OME's do beat them.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Willied wrote:Money permitting I will take the OME on your list too.. I am however running a set of Dobinsons and I am very happy with the performance.. if such a word can be used in the same sentence with a 22 year old Lux.. Good carrying capacity and not to stiff without load, flex could be better as this is where the OME's do beat them.
Had OME on previous Lux, Bought this one with Dobinsons and IMO they just don't come close to OME ..... very stiff, poor ride comfort and as you say, less articulation. Give me OME anytime!

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: '90 Hilux

Post by Willied »

Mud Dog wrote:Had OME on previous Lux, Bought this one with Dobinsons and IMO they just don't come close to OME ..... very stiff, poor ride comfort and as you say, less articulation. Give me OME anytime!

;-)
Ag flippet.. Something else to save for.. could you guys just hold back on the info for a couple of months!! I need to get the bank manager off my back already.. :D:

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”