4Y EFI, a different way?

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
3vilc
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Bay Of Plenty
Vehicle: YN67 Hilux

4Y EFI, a different way?

Post by 3vilc »

Hi guys,
Has anybody tried converting a 4Y to EFI using the single point injection unit from a 4S-Fi engine, and adapting the throttle body to the carb manifold?
Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this?
3Y-E parts seem to be very rare and almost impossible to find over here

Thanks
Clive
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: 4Y EFI, a different way?

Post by Mr_B »

The EFi parts for the 4Y aren't scares(yet), it's just that most of the counter sales staff have no clue what you're looking for when you ask for a 3YE intake. Other members will tell you too, you must take the time to go scratch around at the engine importers. The taxi guys rip the EFi parts off and only take the engine, so if you look you'll find the parts in some corner at the engine importers! You won't find anything at 2nd hand car parts dealers!
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: '90 Hilux

Post by Willied »

3vilc wrote:Hi guys,
Has anybody tried converting a 4Y to EFI using the single point injection unit from a 4S-Fi engine, and adapting the throttle body to the carb manifold?

Thanks
Clive
Hey Clive, we have a guy in Bloem that did a couple of these conversions and there were no real power gains or drive ability improvements. He would fit a throttle body to the top of the existing manifold and you would still get the long travel distance to the pistons and the same amount of fuel collecting at the bottom of the intake manifold, you would only eliminate the stall problem.. but that can be done with a properly setup carb too..

Take the time to stop at a couple of importers and if all else fails go to a scrapyard and get the manifold off of a CMC, GWM or any China import 2.2. Then you have a good start to fit multi-point fuel injection.. At your local taxi rank they will swap you the intake system for a carb.
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: '05 LEGEND 35 2.7 DC 4x4, Monroe Gas allround, Long range tank, UniQ Chip. Platkar '06 Polo 1.6 Comfortline hatchback

Post by SWARTLUX »

3vilc wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks
Clive
Where is over here? :?:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

(I see Brian posted while I was typing this.) ......

I think you guys are missing the fact that Clive is in New Zealand, ..... not local! ;-)

Clive, do you guys get the Chinese knock-off of the 2.2 4Y motor over there? Perhaps as a replacement motor, or fitted to one of the Chinese vehicles like "CAM" or "GWM"? If you do then you can source it from their parts lists.

Good luck! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Mud Dog wrote:I think you guys are missing the fact that Clive is in New Zealand, ..... not local!
Was just going to say Clive would struggle to get hold of 'the guy in Bloem'!!!
Or understand why the taxis don't want fuel injection.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Ha... valid point Uncle Andy... terrible oversight on my part... wasn't the fuel injected 4Y sold in AUS?? If so it may be possible to source the intake mani from there? I remember an AUS forum member, Brian, EFi'ing his 4Y, so it must be possible.
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willied »

zepplin wrote:
Mud Dog wrote:I think you guys are missing the fact that Clive is in New Zealand, ..... not local!
Was just going to say Clive would struggle to get hold of 'the guy in Bloem'!!!
Or understand why the taxis don't want fuel injection.
Quite true yes.. But then I could not open the mans profile to make sure where he was from..lol
3vilc
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 3vilc »

Sorry, probably should've mentioned where I was from :) Ok so the 4S-Fi idea is out..was just an idea I thought of while browsing through stuff. Only 3Y-E bits I have seen once on local auction, sold for NZ$30 !, very cheap, everything except ECU was mostly complete kit. Unfortunately was pick up only, and located too far away for me to be able to pick up. Will just have to keep hunting
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Good luck in your 'quest', Clive! :thumbup:

(Looks like the Bay of Plenty is short on a few items! :lol: )
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
3vilc
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 3vilc »

'Plenty' of old hiluxes, mostly hunting wagons, but it seems we mostly got they carby ones, even all the 22R's for sale are carby. I'm not too worried, my truck runs well considering its age, even if rather thisty. How does one make the carb behave better on inclines? And to satisfy my curiousity, why do all your taxis prefer the carby motor?

In reply to an earlier post, we do get the chinese 4Y's over here, but only the carby one not the efi, they do get remanufactured 22REs complete, but cost almost more than the whole truck is worth
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willied »

Our taxi's are 3rd world operators without access to computerized equipment and therefor they prefer the carbies..

Mostly people reduce the float level if the chamber is in the front, then have a look at the seals and replace if there is a chance of them leaking into the ventures for some reason..If you tilt the vehicle some carbs have a way of letting the float overflow into the ventures and that causes the motor to flood/stall.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Import one from Auz.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

What is the part number of an electronic ignition distributor for a 4Y? do you get those in South Africa?

I can get
19030-73040 / 19030-78151-71 / 4Y but not sure if those are the correct ones and dont want to import it if it is not the correct ones.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Cruza
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Gympie
Vehicle: 89 4Runner

Post by Cruza »

Gday

I am he, 3YE in Australia are as rare as, but they are around, 4YE are common as bird ......... simply drop them onto any 3Y or 4Y engine.
I chose the Toyota Spacia wagon 1996 4YE for my conversion. The unit in total cost $230 aud delivered to my door.
So if Clive wants to get in contact with me I will be only to glad to give him any assistance he needs.
http://brianlawson59.blogspot.com.au/p/ ... rsion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”