Fitting aircon into my bakkie

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Fitting aircon into my bakkie

Post by Dingo »

Hi Folks

When I bought my bakkie it had the aircon removed, presume to fit the 7M engine. the pipes and goodies inside the vehicle are still there.

Now I would like to refit / re-install an aircon. Can anybody advise me as to who to speak to in JHB to have this done.
Liege
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Sandton
Vehicle: Hilux dbl cab, 2011 4.0 AT 4x4, Lifted suspension, BFG AT, Steeltop.

Re: Fitting aircon into my bakkie

Post by Liege »

Hi,

I had exactly the same issue. The aircon was removed from my bakkie as well before I bought it. Not sure if this was to accomodate the 3rz engine conversion, however that said the only way to have one installed that I could find at a decent price was to trawl the internet looking for stripped spare's etc, specifically SFA hilux's that are being stripped. I eventually managed to find one off a rolled SFA insurance type reclamation, the complete unit.

The main reason for my issues was that the radiator unit was missing (which fits under the cubby hole next to the fan). If you have this unit then you should be able find an AC company to fit a radiator and the rest of the pipework etc and then service the a/c pump on your motor etc.

I eventually had mine fitted by Ultimate4x4 in pretoria. They seemed to have a good selection of spares etc on their shelves for A/C and a lot else so perhaps try them first.

Regards
JRV
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Umhlanga
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 2 x Diff lock, 33" MT Tyre, Lexus V8, Winch, Bull Bar and Tow bar.

Re: Fitting aircon into my bakkie

Post by Quintin »

This is a problem and make sure the crowed that is going to sort it out will at lease give you a guarantee as these mod installations usually leaks or pipes vibrate off , etc. I must say I hear more and more good things of Ultimate 4x4 that might be an idea.
Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D 4 D 4X4 A/T (4 play). Hilux DC 4x4, Lexus 4Lt V8, Mikhem suspension met 50mm lift, 50 mm body lift, Bilstein Shocks extra length, 33" tyre, 8 J rims, 2 x Lockers, Snorkel. (Blou Job) en dan n Peugeot 107 (Quickie).

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”