How to put your SFA's headlights onto relays.

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
SideKick
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock
Club VHF Licence: X108

Post by SideKick »

Hi guys

I did mine recently and here is a how to guide for those wanting to do the same. Don't know if you guys want to add this as a sticky or something somewhere.

The most important thing to know is that the lights are wired up negatively, if that is the correct term. The switch isn't between the battery and the light like you would think. The switch is between the lighs and the earth. So to put your lights onto relays, you have to wire everything in reverse (earth and live gets swopped).

Here is how the factory wired it: (Only the relevant wires are in colour. The black wires aren't apllicable, you never touch them)
Origeonal Wiring.jpg
(148.22 KiB) Downloaded 3136 times
And here is how you re-wire it onto relays:
Wiring on Relays - Copy (2).jpg
(177.71 KiB) Downloaded 3136 times
Basicly you rewire the existing wires from the lights to the relays, and you lay new wire for the lighs from the battery and to the earth.

What you need is:

New wire:

I got 3mm wire for the common wire from the battery to the lights, and I got 4 different colour 2.5mm wires from the two low and high beams to the relay. And then I got 2.5mm wire from the relay to the earth (Should've been 3mm wire).

2 x relays. I got two 5 pin normal open dual output relays so that I can run one cable straight to each light on both low and hight beam and I don't have to splice any cables. I got one Hella relay and one Bosch relay just for the kick of it so see if there's any difference (no difference so far and they cost the same at autozone).
IMG_0559.JPG
(183.65 KiB) Downloaded 3136 times
Then I got two inline fuses:
IMG_0557.JPG
(154.23 KiB) Downloaded 3136 times
My H4 connectors looked a bit bad being 24 year old and all, so I decided to replace them while I'm at it. The problem now is that no matter what H4 connector you buy, they all come with crap thin wire which will make your new thick wiring redundant. Here is the difference between 2.5mm wire and the crap wire that comes with the H4 connector:
IMG_0561.JPG
(87.97 KiB) Downloaded 3136 times
The more expensive H4 connectors can't be taken appart to replace the thin wires, so I got the elcheapo ones, took them appart and put in proper wires.
IMG_0560.JPG
(171.19 KiB) Downloaded 3136 times
IMG_0562.JPG
(161.47 KiB) Downloaded 3136 times
When I was done with that, I got some car silicone and sealed them up nicely. It's doesn't look so great I guess, but they will work great!!!
IMG_0566.JPG
(172.61 KiB) Downloaded 3136 times
Last edited by SideKick on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
SideKick
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock

Re: How to put your SFA's headlights onto relays.

Post by SideKick »

Here is how the connectors looked in the end:
IMG_0586.JPG
(143.5 KiB) Downloaded 3133 times
Not TOO bad . . .

Anyway. So I pulled out all the wiring from the lights all the way back to my fuse box.
IMG_0567.JPG
(183.55 KiB) Downloaded 3133 times
IMG_0569.JPG
(187.05 KiB) Downloaded 3133 times
Those 4 wires you end up with that used to go to the lights, you then wire up to the two relays according to my diagram.

You then take your new wires and you wire them together with the inline fuses according to my diagram. Remember, this gets wired in reverse on your relays. Your outputs are actually your inputs from your lights and your input is actually your output to your earth. (If you use a 4 pin relay and have both lights connected to the one pin, then it doesn't matter which way around you wire them)

And that's it. There isn't much to explain there . . . wiring is wiring. Oh yes, I forgot to add terminals to the list of things needed!!!

Anyway. Mine is an extreme case I think as my headlights sucked, but here is my before:
IMAG0045 - Copy.jpg
(58.09 KiB) Downloaded 3133 times
And here is my after:
IMAG0062 - Copy.jpg
(57.1 KiB) Downloaded 3133 times
Also, please note that I do not know how this will affect aftermarket spotlights as I still have to check it myself. Will add it here in a day or two once I know.

EDIT - Replaced my spotlights' faulty relay and spots are working!
Last edited by SideKick on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Well done :clap: Stephan, pic with wires all oose and looking messy looks similar, that's all I'm seeing last week and this one coming.

Why did you have to change them onto relays? :think:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Donkey wrote:Well done :clap: Stephan, pic with wires all oose and looking messy looks similar, that's all I'm seeing last week and this one coming.

Why did you have to change them onto relays? :think:
Was done to increase the voltage / power supply to the lights via thicker and more direct wiring. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rooies
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 1994 2.4i (22RE) D/C Raider 4X4

Post by Rooies »

Good job Stephan,

I can see whats going to keep me busy next week. Well explained.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
ROOIES: 1994 2.4i (22RE) Raider D/C - 200 000kms - Brospeed Branch & Powerflow Exhaust
MIKEM Suspension & Gabriel Safari Shocks - "31 BF Goodrich AT - GOMAD Aluminium Canopy
Melvill & Moon Seat Covers - Safari Snorkel - Bushwakka Weekender Offroad Trailer

SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Update

I replaced my spotlights' faulty relay and spots are working!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Nice write-up :thumbup:

One thing to add I think, is 2 diodes across the relay coils, i.e. one diode across pins 85 & 88 on each relay with the cathodes on the fusebox side (R-B & R-W in your diagram).

This is to counter back EMF from the relay coils so that you don't get arcing on the stalk contacts. ;-)
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Stef wrote:Nice write-up :thumbup:

One thing to add I think, is 2 diodes across the relay coils, i.e. one diode across pins 85 & 88 on each relay with the cathodes on the fusebox side (R-B & R-W in your diagram).

This is to counter back EMF from the relay coils so that you don't get arcing on the stalk contacts. ;-)
English please? :confused:
Rider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: 1987 Toyota Hilux 4x4 d/c 40mm body lift, KZ-TE Diff with Diff lock, Snorkel, 31" AT tyres , Powered by FORD 3.0 V6 uprated.

Post by Rider »

a diode has 2 legs .Anode(+) and cathode(-)-(silver ring)

EMF-electro motive force

Im not sure if he wants you to keep the current constant :?
lets wait for his reply :surrender:
PROUD OWNER OF A TOYOTA HILUX AKA AMA-HIPZ
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Any coil will have energy when it is energised (hence the term!). When the circuit is opened, the energy will dissipate over the switch contacts with a spark, which can eventually erode the contacts. The solution is to place a diode over the coil, as shown, then the energy is dissipated through the coil resistance. It is known as a flyback or freewheel diode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_diode" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,

C
Flyback Diode.jpg
Flyback Diode.jpg (18.39 KiB) Viewed 14406 times
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
BosveldBul
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4-D 4x4

Post by BosveldBul »

So can I do this on my '86 corolla too? Will I use the same relays etc?
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I ordered some wiring looms for this. They already have all the relays and plugs. Just plug in and connect to the battery.
Only thing they don't have is that diode box for the blue light on dashboard.
Still waiting for payment to clear and then the long wait to import, but I think they should be here by Mid August
Price I still have to see, might be in the region of R350.00
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Hold on there guys.

Please scroll back up and see that I did my headlights on relays, and added my spotlights on their relays, and the high beam indicator is working. Everything 100% all without diodes or coils or any of these complicated things you are talking about . . . I just wired it up like in my diagram . . .
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Stephan, I will see when those looms arrive here. The manufacturer assured me that it works on all vehicles without any problems. So if it works correctly it will be a bonus, I hope it does.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

cprinsloo wrote:Any coil will have energy when it is energised (hence the term!). When the circuit is opened, the energy will dissipate over the switch contacts with a spark, which can eventually erode the contacts. The solution is to place a diode over the coil, as shown, then the energy is dissipated through the coil resistance. It is known as a flyback or freewheel diode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_diode" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,

C
Flyback Diode.jpg

Unless you are operating the relay coil with a solid state device which can be destroyed by the induced EMF (unlikely with a SFA!!), I would not bother with the diode. It is used in high-energy circuits (the TV flyback example above, which "switches" on & off 15,625 times a second) but in this case, nothing fancy, and all it would protect is the actual original light switch contacts which were built to handle high amperage in the first place. The relay coil draws minimal current.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I received some of those harnesses today. They are very well made and comes complete with 2x relays.

I installed mine in 10 minutes.
Only problem is, the blue light on dash is not working so I will have to build the little box Cassie was talking about.

Light meter readings:
I just use it for comparison values. The light is very uneven, so I tried to get the brightest spot one meter from the light.
Values was on the 10,000 scale on light meter.
Before:
Dim = 620
Bright = 810

After:
Dim = 860
Bright = 1050

Above is with Osram nightbreakers
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

For those who cannot wait for us to manufacture the fix, I added it to my shop so long.
I've put it up at a lower price as originally planned. When we get the fix we will sell it is a separate plugin unit for the vehicle which need it.
The harness is at
http://www.4x4direct.co.za/shop/index.p ... cts_id=394" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see most places recommend a 30A relay for up to 100 watt, I bought some 40A relays just to make sure they last longer.
I opted for 5 pin, do same work as 4 pin, only one pin you ignore if you need 4 pin.
Relays at
http://www.4x4direct.co.za/shop/index.p ... cts_id=393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the guys who wants to build their own I have H4 plugs
http://www.4x4direct.co.za/shop/index.p ... cts_id=391" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And sockets to fit the 5 pin relay, no more loose wires
http://www.4x4direct.co.za/shop/index.p ... cts_id=392" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

pietpetoors wrote:I received some of those harnesses today. They are very well made and comes complete with 2x relays.

Only problem is, the blue light on dash is not working so I will have to build the little box Cassie was talking about.

Light meter readings:
I just use it for comparison values. The light is very uneven, so I tried to get the brightest spot one meter from the light.
Before:
Dim = 620
Bright = 810

After:
Dim = 860
Bright = 1050

:ttwwp:

Pics and Price PLEASE....... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

MOFASA wrote:
pietpetoors wrote:I received some of those harnesses today. They are very well made and comes complete with 2x relays.

Light meter readings:
Before:
Dim = 620
Bright = 810

After:
Dim = 860
Bright = 1050

:ttwwp:

Pics and Price PLEASE....... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Now if you followed the links you would have seen this :twisted:
To God be the glory
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

CasKru wrote:Now if you followed the links you would have seen this :twisted:
:slap: SORRY Cas...... :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

MOFASA wrote: :slap: SORRY Cas...... :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :mocking: :mocking: :mocking:
To God be the glory
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

All I can say is WOW!!!!

Believe it or not, but I only got to try my new headlights for the first time this weekend at the Bridgestone night challenge (two months after I installed them :angel: ) I was a bit scared doing the challenge without nice spotlights, but not once I needed anything other than my new headlights!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Moonunit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Lumina

Post by Moonunit »

pietpetoors wrote:For those who cannot wait for us to manufacture the fix, I added it to my shop so long.
I've put it up at a lower price as originally planned. When we get the fix we will sell it is a separate plugin unit for the vehicle which need it.
The harness is at
http://www.4x4direct.co.za/shop/index.p ... cts_id=394" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just installed this loop/harness and what a difference :celebrate: . Didn't measure the improvement but it is literally night and day. I noticed my spots are working now, but will figure that out another day...
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Spots working or not working?
If NOT working, and if your spots are wired via a relay, move the power wire which activates the relay to the blue wire on the H4 Harness. That should fix it.
Moonunit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Lumina

Post by Moonunit »

Sorry not working. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DMH
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Nissan Hardbody & Patrol

Post by DMH »

thanks for the tips and tricks

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”