EFI installed - have a niggle.

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
fredster
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: '85 SFA Hilux D/C Import

EFI installed - have a niggle.

Post by fredster »

So Skorro was pulled into the garage last weekend for some open heart surgery.

Not going to repeat all of the steps I followed, as most of it has been covered extensively by FD, Benhur, Mr_B and others. Having gone through the pains, I can add a bit to it for somebody as ignorant as I was :? .
Make sure you have no vacuum leaks!!! :oops: :oops: This includes your intake manifold tightening in the most awkward of places. This will prevent your car starting and idling at 4500 RPM when cold :oops: :oops: .
On the dual mag pickup dissy's - The position of the mag pickups to the spindle has to be as close as possible without touching, else you'll have trouble finding spark when starting. <-- This one had me going for quite a while :x :evil:
On the Kombi ICV - It has a home screw at the inlet end at the top of the unit. If you have problems with the ICV hunting, high or erratic idling even after you cleaned the unit out, this will be your answer. It is also critical to get this correct if you are using or are planning to use an ICV cut-off switch for descent control. If the home position allows for air bypass, then the car will lurch forward a bit when you switch the ICV off.

Unplug the ICV loom connection and remove the airhose connecting it going to your airbox. Start and let the car idle, and with the correct sized Alan-Key, turn the screw inwards or outwards. You will hear the engine revs dropping off as it comes closer to it's closed position, and pick up if you went too far. Once set, put the airbox hose back on and plug the loom connector back in.

You might find that the engine revs picks up again once you do so. To fix this, plug your laptop on the dicktator, and adjust your ICV minimum and Home values until the revs drops back to the correct idle level.
I've adjusted mine to idle at 650/700 with the ICV unplugged, and 750 with the ICV plugged in. I prefer the old school method to use the adjustment screw on the dash for the ascent throttle control.

So the niggle I have is - Ignition on without the engine running, the laptop stays connected and I can make adjustments, but as soon as the engine is started, then the software disconnects <- Highly annoying. Have checked the wiring for any touching wires or loose connections, but have not found any. And it is also not too consistent - At times it works beautiful without any disconnects.

Ideas?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: EFI installed - have a niggle.

Post by CasKru »

Are you using an USB-to-Serial (RS232) converter? They can play tricks on you like that
To God be the glory
fredster
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by fredster »

Ja Cassie ek doen :( Het ook die software heeltemal uninstall, weer gekalibreer en die map weer oorgelaai om n ander erratic idle probleem uit te sort, maar hierdie enetjie wil nie so verdwyn nie. Wat vreemd is dat wanneer ek die ICV en TPS uitplug, dan bly dit connected :?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Ek het nooit so ver gegaan nie maar ek weet baie ouens sukkel met disconnections en eratic behavior wanneer hulle die convertors gebruik. Kyk of jy nie iemand kan opspoor met 'n notebook met 'n serial poort wat jou wil help nie. Dan kan jy die program op sy rekenaar laai en kyk of jy dieselfde simptome kry.
To God be the glory
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

It is a pity the Diktator cannot be interfaced with a USB ...
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Jaco the new Dicktators, actually not so new anymore has a usb port. Looks like the printer socket. Difference is that it is about R370 more than the Serial connector box.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I am wary of USB-RS232 converters. Bulldog always had a flat spot after dyno-tuning and it never occurred to me that this was due to the converter. Then I programmed the exact same profile in with my Dell Laptop which does have a RS232 port and it felt as if I had a new engine fitted - the dead spot was history.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

fredster
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by fredster »

Wat my kinda onderkry in die hele ding is dat nes ek dink ek kry die oorsaak, dan gebeur iets heel anders :shock:
Ek het bv die kabel vermoed tussen lappy en die ecu want ek het 2 serial to ethernet convertors gebruik met n straight eth kabel tussen die 2. Werk gr8, behalwe hierdie randomness. :)

Toets toe met n gekoopte null modem kabel, en dieselfde gebeur. Volgende een was dat my TPS (alhoewel ek hom nie gebruik nie) randomly waarde optel. So besluit ek toe om die ding op te bedraad en te konnekteer, self al gebruik ek dit nie, en toe gebeur dit nog meer.

Toe kry ek die ding om saam te speel as ek beide die ICV en TPS uitplug en net laat hang, en toe vanoggend toe begin hy weer met die disconnect storie terwyl dit uit is ... :slap: :frustrated:

So ek hoop nou om more by Ferroli's n draai te kan maak en die ding uit te sort. Het nie n laptop met gewone com port connector wat nog werk en vrylik rondfloat nie.
fredster
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by fredster »

Op n ander noot - Die ou het nog nooit SO goed geloop nie - Biki swaar op die sous en sy sensor lesings van die water en lug is effe uit, maar so smooth en responsive was die ou nog nooit met sy chong fong motor nie. :)

Dankie vir Louis, Mr_B en Willied wat moeite gedoen het om te respond op al my n00b vrae, en dankie aan die ander wat onwetend gehelp het met hulle artikels! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Welcome to the EFI club Freddy........now you just need to add two more cylinders!!!!!
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: '90 Hilux

Post by Willied »

Freddy, ek sit self met daai disconnect probleem en het al die rev counter gekoppel maar nog nie kans gehad om dit te kalibreer nie omdat ek nie oor 800rpm kan gaan sonder 'n disconnect nie.

Gelukkig het een van ons Kimberley shops die gewone serial poort en hy stel graag aan die masjien.

EK het nou so kort onder 3000km op die EFI gesit en average so 7km/l (stad en pad gemeng) en is self redelik tevrede. Wil nog biedjie aan die timing krap om hom makliker te laat start en dalk biedjie ryker te stel vir ekstra krag. Het laas week deur Ermelo se rante saam met 'n 2.0 VVTi gery en die man was self verbaas toe ek op een opdraende in 4de biedjie onder hom uitklim..
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Gebruik julle op die File tab "Map smoothing"? Is die getick?

Ook op die "Main Setup" stel die Pot/ Auxilary Input Setup op " Pot Inactive"
Last edited by LouisZ on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Ek het serial to serial kabel gemaak wat so 5m lank is. Ek koppel hom op die desktop as ek fyn instel.
fredster
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by fredster »

Louis, ek het rpm smoothing aan en Pot is disabled. Bretton het my n vinnige toets geleer om te kyk of my dizzy se pickups nie dalk verkeerd om gekonnekteer is nie, en dit blyk wel die geval te wees. Sal deur die loop van die volgende dag of 2 gou die verandering doen en weer begin map :(

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”