22R EFI FUEL CONSUMPTION

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
STAMPIE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: '05 4L V6 DC

22R EFI FUEL CONSUMPTION

Post by STAMPIE »

Hoppy EFI'd my 22R middle last year.
After mapping and a dyno, I was hoping for better fuel consumption than the 6.5 km/l I used to get with the carb.
The consumtion in fact went down to 6 km/l. At the moment I'm getting less than 6 in town. And not even 6.5 on the open road at a speed of 90-100 km/h (GPS speed).
I would like to hear from other 22R EFI owners what could be wrong with my set up, as many guys claims to get more than 8 km/l.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Re: 22R EFI FUEL CONSUMPTION

Post by Stef »

I did mine Oct last year, haven't dyno'd it yet as I wanted to replace the timing chain first and most place here were fully booked Nov/Dec.
On a round trip from Pretoria to the other side of Warmbaths & back ( 220 km)in Nov it cost me R200 less in fuel than the previous trip in Sept at similar fuel prices. Must add that the former trip included some mountain offroading, so the figures are a bit skewed; the R200 is literally the difference between R700 & R500's worth of fuel and both occations got home with the needle on 1/4 tank so really hard to say how much lighter it is. The last few batches of fuel with town driving showed a definite improvement, rougly 20km's more on R200. But only a proper test would really tell.

I used to get 6 - 6.5 km/l, so I would guess that I'm running around 7 - 7.5 now without a proper dyno; I don't really anticipate anything over 7.5 km/l; the 4y EFi could get 8 -8.5km/l but a bit of a stretch for the 22R IMO.

The biggest thing for me is the improvement in power and overall highway driveability; much easier to overtake and to maintain 110 -120km/h on uphills...mind you, I can't remember ever gearing back to 4th on that trip. But then on the lower revs it is a bit lagging, hope to sort that with the mapping.

Only possible differences on mine are the Toyota factory Bosal Brospeed conversion, aftermarket CRD cam and the optical dizzy. The latter aparently makes quite a difference. Then I have a 2" lift (6 OME blades in the front, 7 in the rear) and 31" Cooper ST's. I'm running a Dicktator ECU.

You could possibly look at your fuel map and trigger angle (ign timing), maybe less fuel from 3000 rpm upwards and a smaller trigger agle to make the timing faster, but I'm no expert. It might be prudent to just take it to a different place to get a second opinion.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

I haven't checked mine for a while as a 4x4 trip is always done in between fill ups. But mine is running more or less at about 7.5km/l if I have to venture a guess.

Keep in mind that when we do upgrades we tend to "use" the additional power thus negating the fuel consumption improvement.
To God be the glory
merwn
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kriel
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux 4x4 DC

Post by merwn »

Ek average s0 7.3 Km/L met myne en as ek op snelweg ry lang pad teen 120Km dan het ek al 8 Km/L gekry
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

merwn wrote:Ek average s0 7.3 Km/L met myne en as ek op snelweg ry lang pad teen 120Km dan het ek al 8 Km/L gekry
Moet se die tempo waarteen die naalsd daal op die oop pad is ook heelwat stadiger, maar 'n petrol kannetjie toets sal bevestig
CasKru wrote:Keep in mind that when we do upgrades we tend to "use" the additional power thus negating the fuel consumption improvement.
Dis hoekom ek net 20km meer kry op R200 in die dorp :mrgreen:
Baasvark
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

STAMPIE wrote:Hoppy EFI'd my 22R middle last year.
After mapping and a dyno, I was hoping for better fuel consumption than the 6.5 km/l I used to get with the carb.
The consumtion in fact went down to 6 km/l. At the moment I'm getting less than 6 in town. And not even 6.5 on the open road at a speed of 90-100 km/h (GPS speed).
I would like to hear from other 22R EFI owners what could be wrong with my set up, as many guys claims to get more than 8 km/l.
Hey Stampie,

Do you have the before & after charts wrt performance?
Increase in kw?
Costs?
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
STAMPIE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: '05 4L V6 DC

Post by STAMPIE »

Shane, no I haven't got a before chart and must look for the "after" one.
My nuuste verbruik was 6km/l in die stad en 6.3 km/l op die ooppad. Dan bestuur ek regtig ligvoet en probeer bespaar, maar dit lyk my ek kan maar net ry.

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”