new hilux owner needs help with mods!!!!!

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
89classic
Town: cali
Vehicle: 1994 toyota hilux 2.8 diesel solid axle

new hilux owner needs help with mods!!!!!

Post by 89classic »

hi,
i live in colombia south america and i just got a 1994 toyota hilux with the original 2.8 diesel and factory solid front axle as my first car :yahoo: :celebrate: . but i have two problems.

1) i want to lift it 2-2.5 inches. i dont think i need to do a full suspention lift, all i need are some spacers that go under the suspention (no body lifts). i havent been able to find any companys that sell that sort of lift for a solid axle hilux. i dont mind ordering it from australia or the US.

i will be doing some light rock crawling, mainly mud, and some sand driving.

2)i want to put a shell on the bed but i dont know if the shell will fit with this bed. i have a dual cab and short bed. i want to put the Flip Pack camper shell on it but i dont know if it will fit. has anyone had one of these or had experience with one???heres the link to the shell:
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/flippac.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

any help would be great!!! :beg: thanks!!!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: new hilux owner needs help with mods!!!!!

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Sebi and welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

To lift the vehicle there are a number of options, some better than others.

A body lift only makes sense if it's done for clearance to accommodate bigger wheels without modifying the wheel arches, or to accommodate an engine modification or conversion that doesn't fit under the hood. There are no other benefits. It doesn't improve ground clearance, approach / departure / break-over angles.

Fitting bigger wheels only raises the vehicle slightly but also raises the axle clearance. It also results in the wheel not falling as deeply into a depression / hole, which are the main benefits, improving off-road capability (especially for rock crawling). Also slightly improves approach / departure / break-over angles. The drawbacks are that you might have to cut the wheel arches or do a body lift .... you might also have to change the diff ratio's to compensate for the loss of torque.

You could fit spacer blocks between the spring packs and the axles with longer U-bolts but this is a poor option in my opinion because it increases axle-wrap. This fatigues the spring metal quicker. It also tends to be less stable at speed on the open road.

You could fit extended shackles which raise the whole vehicle (axle clearance remains the same). Also not a good option because you only gain ½ the height of the extension and if the extension is too long it also become unstable at speed on the open road.

The best overall option is a suspension upgrade. It will give you added height (OME will give you close to 4 inches), it improves axle articulation, approach / departure / break-over angles and ground clearance (axle clearance remains the same) without compromising stability too much.

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Welcome :wave:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
320busa
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Springbok
Vehicle: 1996 Toyota Hilux with Kzte engine.
Club VHF Licence: n/a

Post by 320busa »

Standard suspension is good enough for what you want to do. If you put on bigger tyres I would recommend a body lift. Stay away from extended shackles, it negatively effects your vehicles handling.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Welcome to the forum. Suspension upgrade is more than sufficient. For touring/overlanding go heavy duty. Enjoy
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”