1979 Toyota Hilux 18R 4x4 LWB Restoration

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Johann Prinsloo
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Ramsgate
Vehicle: 1979 Hilux 4x4 S/C LWB 18R

Re: 1979 Toyota Hilux 18R 4x4 LWB Restoration

Post by Johann Prinsloo »

I dont have many pictures of the interior, but here is one that Xander also took..

Okay, thats it for now..
I will post pics again as soon as I do the universals and balance the prop shaft.
And when I do the clutch.

Cheers

J
Attachments
IMG-20131107-WA0004.jpg
(90.11 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Great White
vanthev8man
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: wellington
Vehicle: 81 hilux 350,80 vx landcruiser,650 bombardier.

Post by vanthev8man »

johann,

she is really changing from an ugly duckling to a swan! :yahoo:

pleease install all the immobilizers you can get your hands on!

...and put her behind bars at night before you have to :slap: yourself!
hilux sfa -the only real 4x4!
Stoffies
Town: PTA
Vehicle: 1988 Toyota Hilux 2.2

Post by Stoffies »

Lekker Johann!

Daai bakkie van jou het wragtig mooi uitgekom.
Great white het nou tande. :cooldude:

Baie goeie updates ook.
wim
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Vryheid
Vehicle: 95 hilux d/c Hilex

Post by wim »

Johann Prinsloo wrote:Fitting onto standard size tubes
I see loose propshaft bolt.
ImageImageImage
dd6
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 1995 SFA

Post by dd6 »

Well spotted!!
Johann Prinsloo
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Hi Guys

Thanks Xander (m-*-f-f-i-e-s.. ag ek bedoel stoffies)

Great white had a clutch transplat yesterday. I fitted a SACHS clutc as I believe they are the best and had that in my previous SFA as well.

Today he is getting "rubberized" at Pretoria cote! Just to protect that newly painted load bin..

And then, next stop is Propshaft Professionals to replace the universals and balance the prop shaft. (thanks guys, I am aware of the universals being finished..)

After that, one or two minor auto electrical issues to be dealt with and a tonneu cover fitted. THEN I can finally bring Great White home.

P.S. I am also in the market for 245/75R16 BF Goodrich A/T tyres if anybody has some lying around OR want to sponsor.. :lmao:

Will post some pics again soon.

Best Regards

Johann
Great White
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Kyk ook hierna: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... estoration" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Wow Johann!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Dit lyk sommer soos 'n splinter nuwe bakkie wat vanaf die vloer gekoop is in 1979 :clap: :clap: :clap:
Baie mooi gedoen
Johann Prinsloo
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Hi everyone

Yo Yo, 2014 has been busy so far.. just started to touch ground.
All the best for 2014 to all of you!

Thanks for tha link Thabo, it also looks very nice! Thanks for the cmpliments 4x4bees and everyone else.

With regards to Great White..:
In December I was up in Gauteng over christmas and wanted to drive him back home with me to Natal. BUT, there has been a slight "overheating" issue. Not really overheating, but more of a getting hotter than normal operating temperature. This did not happen in bumper to bumper traffic or stop/go traffic.
It was fine in this conditions, even when driven hard.
The heating problem occured when driving on the higway/open road. Thus, not a good idea to travel far with the vehicle.

So December was spent fixing up/improving the cooling system and fixing the leak from the clutch slave cylinder. (yes, it aslso lost clutch the one day while driving -with new clutch recently fitted - and had to be pumped more than once before gears could be selected..
So while driving at constant higher revolotions for extended time, the engine temp got higher than normal and at 2/3 of total heat guage, I pulled over each time and waited for engine to cool down again. (Never let it over-heat once..)

Now I have to thank my father tremendously for the help with restoring this vehicle. Up to and to right after the autobody and suspension I have done everything myself. (excluding the fitting of the new tailgate - my dad)
But after that, I was stuck here in Natal and just couldnt get a gap to go up and work on Great white.
So he took it for the clutch and rubberizing end of last year.
I also had very limited time there over Christmas, so my dad did most of the work on the clutch slave cylinder and cooling system.

For the slave cylinder: I struggled, but sourced and bought a kit for the slave cylinder. And we fit it and replaced all the hydraulic fluid.

For the cooling system: We started to look at the thermostat. We took it out and drove like that. No problems in town, but still getting hot on open road.

Which led me to believe its the "water flowing system" which could include the water pump, old/vrot/clogged radiator and leaking pipes or something in this regard. (note: the water level remained the same throughout..)

The 18R motor also has a viscous fan, and that seems to work toghether with the waterpump.
My dad removed the water pump and could not find fault there, the thermostat also functioned okay when dumped in hot water it opened nicely, but didnt close properly..
No leaking pipes and waterpump and thermostat not causing the excess heat, it had to be the old rusted radiator.
My dad removed the radiator and took it to Silverton Radiators. And yes, the radiator was the problem. the flow of water was substantially less than what it should be. Thus not creating a huge problem in town at low revs and "low" flow because the fan works great and flow is not continously high. But when continously driving at high revs, greater flow and cooling was required.

So we decided to rather replace the radiator and everything else, and keep what is still working properly as spares.
We also got the old radiator serviced and fixed, but will keep it. A new radiator was bought (not exactly the same, but slightly bigger and compatable), and also a new thermostat, water pump and viscous fan and some new pipes.
My dad also created/made a bracket for the battery which was quite loose, so its secured and tight..

My father took his off-time/leave in December and used it to fix this cooling system and fit all of the above for me.. (and I think he really enjoyed it! :lol: )

Dankie Pa!!!

Furthermore, in early January, my dad enjoyed working on Great White so much, that he replaced all the fuses with the correct ones and sorted out the relay for the indicators and lights which was slightly faulty..

So that is where we are standing now. Great white completly road worthy and ready to go anywhere. All I still want to do before I go and fetch him, is to replace the universals on the prop shaft and get a tonnau cover made for the back/load bin.

Also still looking for a set of tyres.. I changed my mind and I dont want 245/75R16 anymore.. BUT instead want 215/85R16's

They are not so wide and is about a 30.4' dia. Exactly what I want.

So if anyone knows of tyres in 215/85R16 lying around or want to sell or swop..
Please let me know

I will post some pics of the above asap

Best Regards

J
Great White
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

Looks blerrie nice. Actually giving me some inspiration on one that's for sale here.
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”