Lexus Water Temp Switch/Transmitter

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Lexus Water Temp Switch/Transmitter

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi all,

Would anybody perhaps know how Mark Watson would have wired the water temp switch or relay for the electrical fan with the Spits ECU?

Reason I'm asking, yesterday my Hilux cut out on high temp during town driving. Saw that the fan wasn't running (it did last week). Hot wired it to get home.

There are 2 devices (one is a 2 - wire and the other is a 1 -wire). I assume the one is going to the original temp gauge in the cluster (1 - wire, and it is a transmitter, i.e. an analog device (resistance changes with temp change)). The other one is maybe a switch (2 -wire), but the wires seems to be going to the ECU? (It was a bit dark to trace the wires). There is temp indication in the ECU as well?

Maybe the 2 - wire is also a transmitter, going to the ECU, then the ECU switches a relay to switch on the fan? Checked fuses but didn't find a blown one.

I'll trace it later, was getting dark yesterday. At least it seems that the ECU cuts the spark/fuel when the engine gets hot, which is a good thing to avoid damage.

Cheers,

Chris
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: '90 Hilux

Re: Lexus Water Temp Switch/Transmitter

Post by Willied »

Chris, on mine he used one of the Spits outputs to switch the fan on.. Check the fan terminals if you haven't as yet as they are just spade connectors pushed into a plug..

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”