Blown top gasket

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
ziile
Town: KLERKSDORP
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.8D D/C

Blown top gasket

Post by ziile »

Hi guys I'm new here and I have a 2.8D duoble cab 1996 model that overheated without me realising and blew the gasket.So what I'm asking is I love this 3L engine so is there anyway that the engine could be repaired or should I look for a new engine and I'm also thinking of the newer 2.5D engine.So what will be worthwhile?
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: Blown top gasket

Post by Thabogrobler »

Welcome aboard!

A top gasket is not a big deal. Remove, skim replace, or something like that.

IF you absolutely have to have a new engine, look at the Ford WL series 2.5 as found in the old Ranger.

Easy fit, way more power that the 3L, economical to run, spares affordable and avaiable.

The 2.5 Toyota(2KD) will be way more expensive, much harder to find, very complicated electronics(read computer box and coded keys needed) and less power than the Ford(85kw Ford vs 75kw 2KD).

And don't be blinded bya Lexus V8 - all the wonderful stories has some expensive tales usually not told.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Samuel! :thumbup:

I would echo the words of Thabo ..... If the head ISN'T buggered, skim and replace gasket (easiest and thus cheapest solution). If the head IS buggered, source a new head and gasket (second easiest / cheapest solution). If the motor is not worth repairing, fit the 2.5 WL motor. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

The problem is all the "IF's" ....

IF the overheating was caught in time then a new gasket may do the job ...

IF the head was damaged ....

IF the overheating damaged the block .....

my dad and later my uncle had diesels overheat.

My dad overhauled that engine twice before he knew the block got terminal damage ....

My uncle did the gasket, then the top, then the block ...... cost a lot more money in the end.

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”