Excessive Modifications on a 1996 Toyota Hilux Truck

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Excessive Modifications on a 1996 Toyota Hilux Truck

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Hi Guys and Ladies, I am in the process of modifying this 1996 Toyota Hilux double cab truck, it has the 7MGE fuel injected 6 cylinder engine fitted, with the matching automatic transmission with low range lock up, I have already had the transmission completely overhauled and at the same time I have fitted a brand new Marlin Crawler kit to the transfer case.

With the Marlin Crawler kit, this allows a person to throw out the rear centre bearing on the prop-shaft (that is a weak point) and we then use a front prop=shaft with the cardan joint and remove the old tube and weld in a enw tube to lengthen the prop-shaft. In my other Toyota Hilux I have had no problems what so ever with this configuation.

I have huge plans for this truck, already when standing next to the cab it is much higher than my 1.92m.

I have already fitted brand new ARB lockers to another set of centre diff sections, just for the thrill of it, I had the one crown wheel and pinion ceramic coated to see if this really makes any difference, only time will tell if the money spent doing the ceramic coating was worth it.

My aim is to purchase some Longfield side shafts, the reason for this is because with the 35" x 1550 x 15" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws fitted to the
Mickey Thompson classic 2 rims, I feel that the existing std side shafts will not be able to support the torque and they may break (twist off).

Now I would like to hear from your guys that have fitted these 7MGE engines to your Hilux Trucks, what radiators have you used and what electric fans, I know that these 7MGE engines have a problem with over heating, my thought are to rather do away with a radiator in front and then to rather fit a truck radiator from an Actros lying flat in the rear using electric fans and an electric water pump, connecting everything up to the engine using either copper or gavinized pipes?

I would like to hear from you guys any suggestions concerning the cooling of the radiator system?

Not to sound boasting here, and not taking into consideration of trying to save money, what would you fit?

I will not be re-fitting the rear loadbody back onto this truck, I want to make the rear look similar to Australian Outback 4x4 Trucks, I saw this race on a dvd that they held a few years back and this is where my ides and thought to build this truck came from.

If I can get away with the fitment of the radiator at the rear of the truck, I then want to manufacture a front bull bar and incorperate a 24 volt Warn winch in front.

I will not be re-fitting the rear seats, I want to fit my fridge and freezer as well as my recovery equipment there instead.

When I purchased this truck a few years ago, paying R35 000.00 for it, it was already fitted with the 7MGE engine and it was in a running condition, luckily the engine/ transmission and computer all came from one car.

I will keep on posting here as I continue to post here as I modify the truck.

Regards
simon Morris :yahoo:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Re: Excessive Modifications on a 1996 Toyota Hilux Truck

Need some ideas what colour to make this Truck that I am modifying and re-building, what say you ladies and gents
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Nice one there Si.I had a sfa many moons ago with the 7mge engine installed.Very true about the overheating problem and the extra two cylinders on the engine does not help as far as available radiator space is concerned.
I eventually fitted an old Nissan Laurel radiator to my rig and this solved my problems. This radiator was wider and not too high and the piping inlet and outlets were fairly close to perfect.
I searched high and low for a radiator for a similar capacity engine as the 7 mge and living in the backwoods ( like you do ), I never had the selection and choices as one living in one of the bigger cities has . I also looked at a radiator from one of those old 7 series bmw's.
I hope this assists you and good luck with your project.
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Post by Reinart21 »

Too soon to say pichas??
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

SYRON CONVERSIONS wrote:Need some ideas what colour to make this Truck that I am modifying and re-building, what say you ladies and gents
Silver with black trim :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have always liked that combo.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Reinart21 wrote:Too soon to say pichas??
too many words ... and not enough peechas .....

sounds like a NICE project !! :thumbup:
SYRON CONVERSIONS

I am waiting for my friend Andy to upload the pictures, maybe he is away this weekend?

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

IMG_0671.jpg
IMG_0674.jpg
IMG_0678.jpg
IMG_0680.jpg

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

IMG_0641.jpg
IMG_0655.jpg
IMG_0665.jpg
IMG_0666.jpg
IMG_0667.jpg
IMG_0668.jpg
IMG_0669.jpg

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

IMG_1048.jpg
IMG_1050.jpg

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

IMG_0656.jpg
IMG_0658.jpg
IMG_0659.jpg
IMG_0660.jpg
IMG_0661.jpg

simoan
stix
Town: Vryburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Post by stix »

:blink: Subscribed
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

What rear shackles are fitted to the chassis. see red circle on pic.

As for the colour

Land Cruiser Beige/Light brown with black trimmings.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Attachments
IMG_0641.jpg
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
SYRON CONVERSIONS

They were imported from Australia from a company called Superior Engineering. They are special double twist revolver shackles, you can either have them lock up with the pin or you can remove the pin and allow them to go into full length, they are nice when you are driving over uneven terrain, allows the wheels to stay on the ground and thus you do not lose traction that often. I cannot remember how much I paid for them, but I imported three pairs of them.

simoan
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Nice!

Any chance of one pair still laying around?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

SYRON CONVERSIONS wrote:They were imported from Australia from a company called Superior Engineering. They are special double twist revolver shackles, you can either have them lock up with the pin or you can remove the pin and allow them to go into full length, they are nice when you are driving over uneven terrain, allows the wheels to stay on the ground and thus you do not lose traction that often. I cannot remember how much I paid for them, but I imported three pairs of them.
Those are just what I was looking at a few months ago.....
How many sets do you still have?
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Some more pics .....
IMG_6132.JPG
IMG_6134.JPG
IMG_6135.JPG
IMG_6136.JPG
IMG_6137.JPG
IMG_6138.JPG
IMG_6139.JPG
IMG_6140.JPG
IMG_6141.JPG
IMG_6142.JPG
IMG_6143.JPG
IMG_6144.JPG
IMG_6145.JPG
IMG_6146.JPG
IMG_6147.JPG
IMG_6148.JPG
IMG_6149.JPG
IMG_6150.JPG

simoan
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I would like to hear from you guys any suggestions concerning the cooling of the radiator system?
If a 1999 KZTE aluminium radiator can work for a Lexus V8 it should work for the 7MGE.
It is almost the right size for the cradle, is like 1cm too wide on each side, only mod is drilling 4 new holes.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

Watter brand tyres s daai

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”