adjusting fuel pressure

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
91hilux3l
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Abbotsford Canada
Vehicle: 91 hilux double cab

adjusting fuel pressure

Post by 91hilux3l »

planning on installing a turbo on my 2.8 diesel.
can anyone tell how to turn up the fuel pressure?
thanks in advance.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Re: adjusting fuel pressure

Post by Knuppel »

Now there is a whole lot to learn before you turn up the fuel !!
You dont increase the fuel pressure but the amount of fuel.
Most important thing is have you got an EGT meter. (Not to borrow, mounted permanantly!!)
If you give it too much fuel you crack the cylinder head and burn holes in the pistons

Please research the subject first, before you just slap a turbo on! You WILL cook the engine!
Things to lookout for. What type of turbo, water or oil cooled. What AR are you going to use, it is important to know where the max torque is so you can get the right one. How are you going to prevent the brake and clutch fluid from over heating. How much boost on the turbo. Where to dump the return oil from the turbo. Are you going to use an intercooler. What size exhaust pipe............... How good is your clutch, the extra torque you generate is not freindly on the standard clutch pack. Your standard radiator is not big enough to handle the heat.

But if you do it it right it will put a big smile on your dial
Image Link Broken
91hilux3l
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Abbotsford Canada
Vehicle: 91 hilux double cab

Post by 91hilux3l »

I appreciate the advice.
I am running the complete turbo setup from 2.4lte.
it is water & oil cooled, planning on running 3" exhaust turbo back & a pyrometer.
no intercooler planned with install but may add one down the road.
not looking for huge power or torque, just want improve the stock power & torque so it is not so sluggish.
when I pull a small travel trailer up steep hill my truck gets passed by semi trailers, kinda embarrassing
with said do you know how to increase the fuel pressure? I was told the is a screw or knob the can be adjusted. want to know the location & a picture would be great.

thanks
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

On the back of the fuel pump is the fuel screw. It may have an anti tamper cap over it. It will also be locked with a lock nut. That lock nut is you biggest headache as you need to keep the fuel adjustment screw dead still when fastening the lock nut after adjustment. The adjustment screw tends to want to turn with the direction of the lock nut = big problem!
To adjust it is basically oposite to a petrol carb engine, so for more fuel you need to turn the fuel screw in. This is done in very small increments, like an eighth of a turn at a time. No wild turns and you can now understand why the locknut can be a problem.
If you have the pyrometer fitted as you say then dont let the EGT go over 650 deg C! If it does go then you either need to increase the boost a bit wich is not easy, so turn the fuel back a bit.
A diesel runs coolest on a lean mixture so you dont want the exhaust smoking at normal to heavey driving. The odd puff of smoke between gear changes is ok.
Whatch your water temperature, especially on hot days, slow moving hard work or if you get stuck and you are laboring the motor to free yourself.
Over heating does not happen suddenly but is a build up. The toyoa heat gauge is notorious for being rock steady but is in actual fact being electronically manipulated to be steady. Once you run a turbo on an engine you want to know early enough that the engine is running hot so i suggest an alternative heat gauge or modify the existing one to read properly
Attachments
image.jpg
Image Link Broken
4x4KindaGuy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Tampa
Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Hilux 4x4

Post by 4x4KindaGuy »

my ride is emitting black smoke. Is the fuel gauge connected to the prob or its just merely a cold air intake problem? i've already ordered new filters

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”