3rz Spitronics with 3ct turbo

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Chris Jordaan
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Oudtshoorn
Vehicle: 1993 4x4 Hilux

3rz Spitronics with 3ct turbo

Post by Chris Jordaan »

Will the 3ct turbo be enough for low boost on the 3rz. On simular forums a significant gain in torque can be gained by adding an low boost turbo or supercharger to a standard 3rz engine. No added fuel consumption to be gained as long as long as u dont add weight to your right foot due to an adrenilen rush to the head. Is there somebody that has done this and what was your success or losses
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 3rz Spitronics with 3ct turbo

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm sure it's all been done before but can't recall anyone here having done it. The 3RZ is a notoriously tough and reliable motor, so I assume that for the best part it should be able to handle it and with the correct re-mapping should give significantly more power and thus better fuel consumption, if as you say you keep control of your right foot.

One thing bothers me a bit and it's common to most motors today - they're built so compact that the amount of meat between the cylinders is very small, and with the higher compression achieved and this already being a weak point in the gasket might tend to blow with standard gaskets.

I would personally be more inclined to go the route of supercharger rather than turbo, and as you say, keep the 'boost' on the lower side.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Chris Jordaan
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Oudtshoorn
Vehicle: 1993 4x4 Hilux

Re: 3rz Spitronics with 3ct turbo

Post by Chris Jordaan »

Need as little as 5psi boost. Have a 3ct already in my bakkie that went. Difficult to get spares for it so i can use its turbo.

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”