Locker on Import Diff

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Oppies3800
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux SFA

Locker on Import Diff

Post by Oppies3800 »

Hi, after doing some research I have found that I can only go for an ARB locker of an auto-locker for the import diff. Would I be able to purchase a Gearmax diff second hand and fit? Or would it be better to fit an auto-locker to the front?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Locker on Import Diff

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi and welcome Andre! :thumbup:

You cannot get a local (Gearmax) offset banjo housing for the front axle, and the local vs import constructions differ vastly (not interchangeable).

Your only option is therefore the pricey ARB unit (selectable locking) or the affordable Truetrac unit (auto non-selective locking).

The import diffs use the 'third member' type of construction where the whole diff assembly comes out of the housing (no removable inspection cover on the dome end). The 2.7 and the KZ models also use this on the rear diffs and if memory serves correctly, they fit on the SFA housings. They have an electrically actuated diff-lock and if you can get half-shafts with the correct length and splines, or the correct carrier to fit the SFA half-shafts, you could build one of those in with the correct ratio. This will however be a mission and the ARB will probably look attractive by comparison.

:winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Oppies3800
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Oppies3800 »

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the reply. These were my options in March when I started looking at difflock.

• LockRight Locker ± R 7995.00 Incl.
• Powertrax No-Slip Locker ± R 14500.00 Incl.
• Detroit Locker ± R 17995.00 Incl.
• Detroit Truetrac Helical Gear LSD ± R 16995.00 Incl.
• ARB Air Locker ± R 26500.00 Incl.
• ARB Air Compressor 12V Heavy Duty ± R 4500.00 Incl.
• TJM Pro Air Locker ± R 24500.00 Incl.

I am thinking of installing an auto locker in front because the rear will be R25 000+. That is not worth it.

LockRite should be good for the front?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Andre, personally I'm not very fond of the idea of an auto locker on the front - these are the wheels that steer the vehicle and those lockers can kick in unexpectedly on the odd occasion where your speed in a tighter turn is high enough to activate it. They take a little getting used to. Personally I would opt for a LSD (limited slip diff) in the front but then again also only if the nature of the vehicle usage warranted it. You would need to be doing some pretty serious stuff to warrant a locker both front and rear.

I have a rear locker in the current vehicle but managed fine in some really tough terrain without one for many years before by just choosing the line carefully. Now that I have one, I tend to be a little less critical of the line and use the locker only when required .... you also don't want to tear up the environment unnecessarily either, so if you have it, use it.

That said, there are very few situations where having lockers both rear and front are necessary, and if it was a case of having only one, I prefer having it on the rear axle. With it on the rear you can engage it without engaging the front axle as an additional option where you might encounter some muddy patches along a dirt road for example. You might be surprised by the effectiveness of using just diff lock on the one driving axle.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Oppies3800
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Oppies3800 »

Andy, the fact that the cheapest selectable rear difflock for my bakkie is R24 500 puts me off a bit. I was thinking of doing the auto locker in front only since it allows you to use it as an everyday drive.

If the front hubs are not locked, the auto locker is disengaged. It only engages once you lock the front hubs.

I understand the logic of having the rear locker, but financially it does not make sense to spend that amount on a bakkie. The difflock is worth the same as the actual bakkie.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Ahh! So you have an import diff on the rear as well (for some reason I was under the impression that you already had a Gearmax rear diff with locker). Then what you're saying makes sense from a financial aspect .... just wondering 'out loud' ..... how much would one pay for a complete rear axle with local diff and locker already installed from a scrapyard?? :think:

Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

Between R6k and R8k for second hand depending condition. Then ad R3k to recondition with new bearings drums and linings
Image Link Broken
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

My point of view is different to Andy. Auto locker in the front does not affect driving style on tar. Remember, your front diff is not engaged in 4x2. On a 4x4 trail, the locker will have an affect on turning.

I had a locker in the rear of my Hilux (bought it like that, Lock Rite) My driving style on tar was adjusted, but I could manage.
Sent from my iPhone
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Agreed Thomas, but what was going through my mind when making that comment was dirt road travelling, where I more often than not have 4x4 engaged for better traction and braking ability. I think it could be unnerving for it to kick in while in a sweeping bend on a dirt road while travelling at 60 / 70 kmph.

You're really not going to engage 4x4 on tar, although I every now and then lock only the hubs to churn up the diff if it hasn't been used in a while.

In either of these situations it will affect the steering if the locker kicks in. A tight bend might 'trigger' it at say 20kmph whereas a more gentle bend will require a much higher speed and that's where it becomes scary for me.

Andre, if Marius' figures on cost are anything to go by, it might be worth considering swapping out the rear axle for a local one with difflock.

Oppies3800
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Oppies3800 »

I have received a quote for R12 500 from Ultimate 4x4. But, I can get a reconned diff with locker for R7500 in Cape Town. Just need the vacuum actuator and switches. I think it might be the best option to go for. Thank you all!!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Sounds like a plan! Good luck! :thumbup:

Oppies3800
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Oppies3800 »

It would be even better if I can get the centre portion of a 4.88:1 diff. Might be cheaper as well
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

You cannot fit the centre portion of the Gearmax difflock diff to an Import diff!
Image Link Broken
Oppies3800
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Oppies3800 »

Understood. Spoke to Allan Venter (Hoppy). We are going to fit a new Gearmax diff. Complete new diff.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

I did the same. Very happy with the conversion to diff lock.
Image Link Broken

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”