Spitronics ? is it good or not

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Chris Jordaan
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Oudtshoorn
Vehicle: 1993 4x4 Hilux

Spitronics ? is it good or not

Post by Chris Jordaan »

There seems to be very little to be said on Spitronics the last few months. Are there anybody that still have a system on their vehicle and are you happy with its performance. Got a few local guys that is very unhappy with the Spitronics system and would refuse to even help with the installation of it. Got one that I am installing on my 3rz conversion that I am doing and it seems to be a very easy installation. Got the engine in Capetown with no wiring harness at all. At least all of the necessary sensors are all there.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Spitronics ? is it good or not

Post by Mud Dog »

The units from a few years back were not that wonderful but the newer ones are great. A lot depends on how its mapped and if it's been done by someone competent.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

As with any of the other units such as the Gotech you will find both guys loving and hating them. In the end of the day it is all about the installation, configuration and mapping. I have seen installations with naked wires twisted together, unsoldered and covered with masking tape - unsurprisingly giving all kinds of trouble - and others properly soldered and sleeved working well. Then the config i.e. making sure that you are setting the correct sensors/inputs to be read etc. and lastly and probably most importantly getting the mapping sorted. Doing that properly can take quite long as one needs to play with ignition timing and fuel enrichment throughout the rev range on a proper dyno with proper measuring equipment. I prefer Gotech simply because I know it but have heard good things of Spitronics of late.
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

I have a older version Spitronics unit fitted to my EFI 22R motor done about 10 years ago ,i do not know much about the mapping ease etc ,but the unit has given no problems at all

Martin
Dadz Toy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 Series Prado - Diesel Dog
Club VHF Licence: HC 286

Post by Dadz Toy »

I had the same question so I did a Spits Installer's course.
Personally I'd rather run with a Dicktator as the Dyno'ing is 100% spot on, whereas well, as even the Spits boss admits, a Dyno is wasted on a Spits installation, there's nothing to Dyno.! That is there's no site mapping to do BUT you will get a lovely piece of paper with a pretty graph showing your Horses and torque curves!
Wiring wise, the Spits shielded cable is excellent but the external Vac control and two wire sensors are a pain.
I've done a very successful Spits Efi Hilux, it was a breeze to install and map, but like I said, pointless putting on a dyno.
There's lots of pomp about having a switch to select different maps, why would you want to do that?? That facility was written for when you use the ECU as a gearbox controller, again about as useful as a dyno.
I love the Spits sales technicians after market support, that is where the Dicktator fails badly.
Price wise, Spits is right up there as value for money and the build quality is 100%
Hope this helps!

Rich :cooldude:
Last edited by Dadz Toy on Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andries
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Dordrecht
Vehicle: '94 2.2 4Y Hilux S/C, '87 2.2 4Y Hilux D/C

Post by Andries »

Daar is net een rekenaar vir n Lexus en dit is die oorspronklike een soos hy van sy ma af kom ek haal daagliks Spitronics uit en vervang hulle met die oorspronklike een al wat ek wil se.
Chris Jordaan
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Chris Jordaan »

Thanks for the input. got all the wiring done on my Lux conversion from 22r to 3rz. will see tomorrow if it will start or not.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

As jy bietjie nader was sou ek aanbeveel jy prat met Izak by Dynotech.

BAIE Lexus motors wat deur sy plek gaan !!
Boland4x4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Plattekloof
Vehicle: 2005 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4 Auto

Post by Boland4x4 »

As mentioned Dynotech can assist and Modjects are also very knowledgable w.r.t Lexus + Spitronics.

Both in Brackenfell.
No mods :disgust:
Chris Jordaan
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Chris Jordaan »

Ok great I am in Oudtshoorn. I have installed all the wiring carefully following the instructions that Ian from George gave me. Got a local Guy that does Spits installations to hook up his PC to help me set the Computer mapping up. Engine was running great for a while and then just cut out suddenly. Thought it was petrol but realised that the power light doesn't go on. Relays are kicking in and pulse light is indicating pulse but there is no power. Went through the entire system again and found what seems to me that the relays was incorrectly wired. Main power came in on point number 86 and not 30 as indicated on the wiring diagram from spits. Wiring harness was done at the factory so I didn't change anything when I installed it. Will contact Ian Monday and confirm the setup. Just hope it didnt fry the computer as it was very hot after it cut out.
TertiusK
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 2.4D 4x4 DC Full MIKEM Suspension front and back + 2007 Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDI 4WD

Post by TertiusK »

Hi Christo.

Sterkte met jou projek. Ek's bly om te sien hier is nog mense op die forum wat in ons dorpie bly. Dalk loop ons mekaar een van die dae raak, sal graag jou Hilux wil sien want hier is nie baie van hulle nie.

Groete
Chris Jordaan
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Chris Jordaan »

Jip dis di enigste een met n Blou Bul op sy Canopy en Toyota op die tailgate is Toyota se oorspronklike blou.
TertiusK
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 2.4D 4x4 DC Full MIKEM Suspension front and back + 2007 Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDI 4WD

Post by TertiusK »

Sal uitkyk vir jou!!!
Chris Jordaan
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Chris Jordaan »

Confirmed now that the Bosch relays are wired differently.
Chris Jordaan
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Chris Jordaan »

Engine is running well got lots of power, will have to get used to it. Big step up from the 3ct that I had in before.
Ian from George Spitronics was very helpful with advice on the conversion. The engine is just smoking a lot due to the diesel oil and carbon still in the exhaust.
Dadz Toy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 Series Prado - Diesel Dog
Club VHF Licence: HC 286

Post by Dadz Toy »

Awesome!

Enjoy the throttle response and additional horses!

merwn
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kriel
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux 4x4 DC

Post by merwn »

Ek dink dit is n goeie unit ek het omtrent 10 jaat terug spitronics unit in MCW se bakkie gesit wat eers myne was en het geen probleme gehaat todat ek hom verkoop het nie.Ek en my seun het nou weer n Spitronics op sy 20v toyota enjine gesit wat ons in n corola gesit het en geen probleme nie en Spitronics het n fantastiese after sales en is baie behulp saam sal Spitronics aan beveel
Chris Jordaan
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Chris Jordaan »

Die Spitronics doen nog goed so ver di engine loop baie glad en egalig nou, da is ma so n paar verstellings om te doen. Elke conversion het maar sy eie groei pyne en myne het nog baie, so ver is ek baie tevrede et die 2.7
Hiluxcrazy
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Simonstown
Vehicle: Hilux 2.2 EFI

Post by Hiluxcrazy »

Installed in 2010 in my 1989 4Y EFI, never missed a beat. Sold the bakkie and it went to a farm where it was nearly destroyed. Found it on gumtree a few months ago, bought it back. Spitronics system still functioning perfectly although the headlights, horn, immobilizer and even the seatbelts were all toast.
If its installed properly, it wont fail you.
HILUXCRAZY
cockroach9999
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: False Bay Cape Town
Vehicle: 91 Hilux 2.2 EFI D/C 4x4 - Rustbucket

Post by cockroach9999 »

Mine was the install Dadz mentioned earlier. Has been running smoothly since 2011, haven't had issues with it in that time. Not sure about the newer ones though, wouldn't mind getting my hands on one.

That said, a new cab first would probably be a priority.

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”