Lexus V8 Conversions

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: 1989 Toyota Hilux

Lexus V8 Conversions

Post by Harm JR. »

Howzit going guys
Quite hard to find a good thread on the Lexus V8 Conversions, and i know there are plenty, so I thought I'd start one.
Just curious on the consumption you guys are getting and some comments on their power etc from the owners.
Thanks guys
Look forward to hearing from you all
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux - Lexus V8

Re: Lexus V8 Conversions

Post by GRWLR ZN »

Howzit Abdullah,

I have a 1UZ non VVti, 8km/l on the open road. 6.5km/l in town and about.
I run spitronics management, full original 4x4 drivetrain- manual 5 speed gearbox.(G52) diff ratios 4.743:1

I am currently busy with some diff ratio fettling. Want to bring it down just a tad bit so as to bring the revs down on the open road.

Power.... plenty. With my current diff ratio it is a dream off road . Go anywhere. Only draw back is i am running @3600 rpm doing 125km/h (gps) A bit too high for comfort for me :naah:

:mrgreen:
Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Harm JR. »

GRWLR ZN wrote:Howzit Abdullah,

I have a 1UZ non VVti, 8km/l on the open road. 6.5km/l in town and about.
I run spitronics management, full original 4x4 drivetrain- manual 5 speed gearbox.(G52) diff ratios 4.743:1

I am currently busy with some diff ratio fettling. Want to bring it down just a tad bit so as to bring the revs down on the open road.

Power.... plenty. With my current diff ratio it is a dream off road . Go anywhere. Only draw back is i am running @3600 rpm doing 125km/h (gps) A bit too high for comfort for me :naah:

Awesome awesome
I'm looking into buying my firat car, which has to be a hilux SFA or pre 98 as my dad calls it (we have one)
Found one which has a lexus v8 already so it's like a dream come true for me. (Unfortunately it's auto)

I'm pretty much an amature to everything other than driving, changing tires, water oil break fluid that stuff, so i don't completely understand ratios and i have to learn (really want to more than need to :tongue: )

What do you mean by you're running it at 3600rpm exactly?
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GRWLR ZN »

Morning,
The SFA's are mamba, if you can get one in good nick, grab it. Don't worry too much about the auto, they are generally a bit heavier on fuel, but tend to be less of an headache when it comes to handling the power of the motor etc.
Go have a look on Google and YouTube and the like on the diff ratios, even on this forum there are a few threads with regards to ratios and how differentials work.

If you want to learn. You should grasp it easy.

What I mean by 3600rpm is that due to the high ratio currently on my van, when I am cruising on the highway in 5th, the revs climb very high. That's where the ratio comes in. See 4.743:1 means that the pinion (propshaft) has to turn 4.743 times for the wheels to make 1 turn. Therefore the revs climb high when you hit the 125km/h mark.
The Gearbox gets hotter than normal and of course, higher revs means more fuel. But then again. You don't buy a V8 for duel economy :lol:
LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kimberley
Vehicle: 1995 Toyota Hilux 4x4, Landcruiser axels and transfer box, Lexus V8 vvti with 5speed auto

Lexus V8 Conversions

Post by LeCruLux-Phillip »

Interesting that so many guys complain about fuel consumption of the Lexus V8.... what about the 2.2, 2.4, 2.7 and 4.0V6 of Toyota? Don't that engines also give in the ball park of around 7km/L. Just my thought on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:thumbup: :thumbup: :D: :D:
Image Link Broken
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
Club VHF Licence: HC115

Post by Bliksempie »

I get around 6.7km/l (Urban) on my standard 1997 2.4P (22R). Only modification done was Cowley free flow with branches.
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Harm JR. »

GRWLR ZN wrote:Morning,
The SFA's are mamba, if you can get one in good nick, grab it. Don't worry too much about the auto, they are generally a bit heavier on fuel, but tend to be less of an headache when it comes to handling the power of the motor etc.
Go have a look on Google and YouTube and the like on the diff ratios, even on this forum there are a few threads with regards to ratios and how differentials work.

If you want to learn. You should grasp it easy.

What I mean by 3600rpm is that due to the high ratio currently on my van, when I am cruising on the highway in 5th, the revs climb very high. That's where the ratio comes in. See 4.743:1 means that the pinion (propshaft) has to turn 4.743 times for the wheels to make 1 turn. Therefore the revs climb high when you hit the 125km/h mark.
The Gearbox gets hotter than normal and of course, higher revs means more fuel. But then again. You don't buy a V8 for duel economy :lol:
I found one and fell in love. Just that my dad thinks it's a bad idea for my first car because I'm going to be paying for the petrol and like you said, V8 is not for fuel economy :laugh2:
Given that, i still want it

I see i see. So how do you change ratios? And actually figure out your ratios if you haven't set them yourself?
LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 1995 Toyota Hilux 4x4, Landcruiser axels and transfer box, Lexus V8 vvti with 5speed auto

It can be calculated
Here is an example of my setup

Image Link Broken
Last edited by LeCruLux-Phillip on Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Link Broken
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Hi

2.4 petrol with EFI i manage to get 6.7 km/l taking it easy ,so a v8 sounds like a bargain

Martin
Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Harm JR. »

mcw wrote:Hi

2.4 petrol with EFI i manage to get 6.7 km/l taking it easy ,so a v8 sounds like a bargain

Martin
I agree
Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Harm JR. »

What i forgot to ask was if the owners of lexus v8's could post some pictures
Let's see em guys!
LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Before:
Image Link Broken

After:
Image Link Broken
Last edited by LeCruLux-Phillip on Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Link Broken
Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: RE: Re: Lexus V8 Conversions

Post by Harm JR. »

That is beautiful
LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Body still needs toe go for paint job though

Image Link Broken
Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Harm JR. »

LeCruLux-Phillip wrote:Body still needs toe go for paint job though

I'd love to see how it turns out.
What colour are you thinking?
LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

I will stay with the current color of body. Just to remove rust,dents and new coat of paint

Image Link Broken
LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Image Link Broken
Last edited by LeCruLux-Phillip on Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Link Broken
Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Harm JR. »

I get you. That look pretty sweet
LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Thank you

Image Link Broken
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Phillip, instead of using the normal [ img ] tabs, look a bit further along the line and use these: [ img_resize ]

It ensures that your images show, whereas the normal [ img ] tab is limited to a specific predetermined size.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Thank you i will take note

Image Link Broken
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

Before:

Image Link Broken
After:

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

And read more Here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=39912#p471502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image Link Broken
LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

That is a very very nice build, knuppel, if i may ask what was the total R spent on your build?

Image Link Broken
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

Phillip, R70k including the purchase of the vehicle.
Image Link Broken
Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Harm JR. »

Knuppel wrote:Phillip, R70k including the purchase of the vehicle.
Woaaah. That's not half as much as I'd expected. You sure you mean included? ImageImage
LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Lexus V8 Conversions

Wow! Very very nice indeed. I thought it would have been around that excluding purchase of vehicle. Well done!!!
Image Link Broken
Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: RE: Lexus V8 Conversions

Post by Harm JR. »

LeCruLux-Phillip wrote:

Wow! Very very nice indeed. I thought it would have been around that excluding purchase of vehicle. Well done!!!
I guess it's clear i don't know anything about rebuilding vehicles Image
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GRWLR ZN »

Marius ,
I followed the thread on your build. Must say , beautiful. :thumbup:

Phillip, i couldn't agree more, the Lexus actually does better than some toyota motors on fuel. I bought mine with the conversion done as is. Was not looking for a V8 at all, but this one came up, was in my price range, its a late '98 IFS (yes, i like the early IFS) Did some research and realized that you get a lot more bang for your buck per liter, so why not. :celebrate:
Have not looked back, but yes, being a dieselmech, there is always room for improvement. :cooldude:

As soon as i can figure out exactly how to load pics. i will. There are one or two things that need attention on the GRWLR so i will load before and after pics eventually.

Abdullah,
A bit of a crash course :D: .
If you are hundred percent certain the vehicle is stock standard then it is easy enough to track down what ratios and so forth you are running.
Quick check, although not perfect, yet reliable when not sure is. Get one rear wheel off the ground, mark it and turn one full revolution. Then count how many times the propshaft turns, however, keep in mind that as only one wheel is being rotated it only makes for half a rev of the crown wheel. So, times the prophaft rev x 2.
Another way is to strip the unit , count each tooth on each gear and divide the bigger number with the smaller for example: 50 teeth on the crown wheel and 11 on the pinion. 50/11=4.545. Therefor 4.545:1 ratio.
Then, even better, when you strip a diff (most) will have the ratio or teeth numbers stamped on the gears.

Some diffs you can change out the crown wheel and pinion (mostly on the local types) . But also only to a certain size. You can change ratios in the gearbox itself, however, that will not make much of a difference on the final drive (diff)of a vehicle. (200 -300rpm) So, in most cases, get a proper gearbox with standard ratios and then fettle with the diffs. Unfortunately on my IFS i have the import type rear axle, so no options for different crown and pinion combos for me. Therefor i have to change out the complete rear axle. found a set, axle and front diff.
Will keep you posted on progress.
Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Harm JR. »

GRWLR ZN wrote:Marius ,
I followed the thread on your build. Must say , beautiful. Image

Phillip, i couldn't agree more, the Lexus actually does better than some toyota motors on fuel. I bought mine with the conversion done as is. Was not looking for a V8 at all, but this one came up, was in my price range, its a late '98 IFS (yes, i like the early IFS) Did some research and realized that you get a lot more bang for your buck per liter, so why not. :celebrate:
Have not looked back, but yes, being a dieselmech, there is always room for improvement. :cooldude:

As soon as i can figure out exactly how to load pics. i will. There are one or two things that need attention on the GRWLR so i will load before and after pics eventually.

Abdullah,
If you are hundred percent certain the vehicle is stock standard then it is easy enough to track down what ratios and so forth you are running.
Quick check, although not perfect, yet reliable when not sure is. Get one rear wheel off the ground, mark it and turn one full revolution. Then count how many times the propshaft turns, however, keep in mind that as only one wheel is being rotated it only makes for half a rev of the crown wheel. So, times the prophaft rev x 2.
Another way is to strip the unit , count each tooth on each gear and divide the bigger number with the smaller for example: 50 teeth on the crown wheel and 11 on the pinion. 50/11=4.545. Therefor 4.545:1 ratio.
Then, even better, when you strip a diff (most) will have the ratio or teeth numbers stamped on the gears.

Some diffs you can change out the crown wheel and pinion (mostly on the local types) . But also only to a certain size. You can change ratios in the gearbox itself, however, that will not make much of a difference on the final drive (diff)of a vehicle. (200 -300rpm) So, in most cases, get a proper gearbox with standard ratios and then fettle with the diffs. Unfortunately on my IFS i have the import type rear axle, so no options for different crown and pinion combos for me. Therefor i have to change out the complete rear axle. found a set, axle and front diff.
Awesome!Excellent explanation thank you.
I don't think i have the know how to strip a diff and or gearbox just yet, but that's the kinda thing I'd love to know how to do. I will get there someday. Need some supervision and the guide of the experienced jedi
Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Harm JR. »

GRWLR ZN wrote:Marius ,
I followed the thread on your build. Must say , beautiful. Image

Abdullah,

Bit of a delayed response as I had some difficulties getting back into my account. I must thank you for that explanation. It is truly appreciated. It is actually more applicable to me now than it was then and I have learnt a lot more since then. I jave actually stripped a few diffs and 1 gearbox. Putting them back together was more... interesting than taking it apart Image

I have since acquired an SFA with a second gen 1UZ non VVT-I and all the extras that makes one giddy inside. The offroad advantages they bring are just by the way Image

So from what the previous owner has told me, he got it with the conversion already done but he did change the gearbox to the IFS shape 2.7 box. He says it's running "4.875 ratios as well as D4D electric diff lockers with different internals to make the ratios for its current set of 33" tyres." Apart from the ratios, I'm not entirely sure what that means but I do believe it's got the d4d crown and pinion and on the open road at about 120 it really doesn't seem to be revving very high at all (the taco doesn't speak to the spitronics atm)

I only own it a few months now and everything has been pretty hunky dory until I started hearing a whine when in 5th gear between 100 and 120kmh. At first that was the only time it was heard but after more driving it became pretty much constant in all gears other than first ONLY when on the throttle. I had assumed it was the gearbox bearings at first bc all the signs pointed there but after taking it to AutoGear here in Durban, they determined that it was the diff and not the gearbox. They quoted me R8500.00 to replace the crown wheel and pinion. Not sure what brand. Upon that I decided to speak to the previous owner again and he said that he had changed out the crown wheel and pinion twice before and he doesn't know why it's eating the gears. It also has the import diff in the rear. (if I'm not mistaken the local front doesn't only opens on the side where the driveshaft comes in??)

Is it possible that the axle itself is somehow contributing to damaging the gears? Also bear in mind that it's currently got an italian brand crown wheel and pinion (and can these italian engineers really be trusted? Image) and previously it was a chinese brand. I'm also not sure how well either of the repairs were done so it could be a bearing related issue too.

I also believe that the ratios i currently have are pretty much standard for the SFA? Is there any issue keeping them as is or should I go with a lower ratio? But if I change the ratios in the back it has to be the same in the front too right?

Either way, like you, I'm thinking of completely swapping out my rear axle. At first I thought I'd go with the local version but upon further research I've learnt that the import version has thicker and stronger side shafts so I'll probably just stick with it. Any down side to local over import?

I apologise for the long stories but this is the best place to tell them because I have faith that i will get the best possible advice here and for that, I am grateful in advance. Feels good to be back

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tim86 »

You need to first determine precisely what diff you have in the back, as your description is not clear enough.
Read the first bit of the following link and then let us know - NB the Gearmax diff, if fitted with a diff-lock, will not have a bald black rear cover surrounded by bolts as pictured, it will have a ribbed dull silver aluminium cover with a small black plastic Hex cover slightly offset from the center.

viewtopic.php?t=5017
Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Harm JR. »

Tim86 wrote:You need to first determine precisely what diff you have in the back, as your description is not clear enough.
Read the first bit of the following link and then let us know - NB the Gearmax diff, if fitted with a diff-lock, will not have a bald black rear cover surrounded by bolts as pictured, it will have a ribbed dull silver aluminium cover with a small black plastic Hex cover slightly offset from the center.

viewtopic.php?t=5017
I've definitely got the import diff but the internals have been messed with. I understand the difference because my dads SFA has the local diff without the gearmax

Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Harm JR. »

I've been looking into leaf wrap or axle wrap. Could that be a contributing factor to a diff messing up the crown wheel and pinion?

Any advice is appreciated

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Axle wrap won't interfere with the crown & pinion. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GRWLR ZN »

Sjo, I have not been on here for a while myself.

Seems as though you were busy Harm JR.

From what you describe it seems like the axle and ratio in there is still the same, or very close to, the original ratio for most of the SFA's. When the original diffs are still good and not fiddled with they should give years of good mileage (if maintained properly of course). With 33" tires 4.8 ratios are perfect, but the previous owner fiddled to add the diff lockers i assume.

What a lot of people fail to keep in mind is that when they do a conversion, even if the diffs etc are all still perfect, is to go through everything properly. The lexus comes with a lot of power and the torque to boot - so if there is a part that was still ok ish with the old engine power , the lexus will point it out for you eventually. Therefor a conversion should not just be pulling the old four pot out and chucking in new cool in the engine bay. It should be a COMPLETE conversion. Meaning, that diffs should be given the once over, and checked for gear pattern, run out and back lash. If out of spec, set them right. If that is not possible then find the problem and sort it , before it's a BIG headache later. Replace all bearings etc. Same goes for the gear box.

Anyway to answer your question about the premature wear and issues. if the axle was bent or damaged in any way or the suspension was at fault, there would almost definitely be some uneven wear on the tyres. If the diff was opened and fiddled with three times already I can almost guarantee that the back lash and gear pattern was not set correctly. Setting up the ring and pinion gears does seem involved, but it is really simple enough for most to do - if it is done right and properly.
Bearing pre load, pinion depth and backlash are the three items to have setup correctly to ensure a diff can go the distance.
I obviously don't know what the gearbox shop has checked and found and I am in no way saying they taking a chance with the pricing or their findings.
If you have time to do so, strip the diff out and check the crown and pinion gears for wear near the edges or on alternating ends of the gears, if that is the case there is probably and adjustment problem. If a gear is set too far back or too close, the gears won't mesh together in the right area. The wear patterns will be off which eventually leads to wear on the gear teeth. Hence the noise and issues.

That was a long write and i am sure there a lot of members on here that can give more advice on this.

Hope this helped
Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Harm JR. »

GRWLR ZN wrote:Sjo, I have not been on here for a while myself.

Seems as though you were busy Harm JR.

From what you describe it seems like the axle and ratio in there is still the same, or very close to, the original ratio for most of the SFA's. When the original diffs are still good and not fiddled with they should give years of good mileage (if maintained properly of course). With 33" tires 4.8 ratios are perfect, but the previous owner fiddled to add the diff lockers i assume.

What a lot of people fail to keep in mind is that when they do a conversion, even if the diffs etc are all still perfect, is to go through everything properly. The lexus comes with a lot of power and the torque to boot - so if there is a part that was still ok ish with the old engine power , the lexus will point it out for you eventually. Therefor a conversion should not just be pulling the old four pot out and chucking in new cool in the engine bay. It should be a COMPLETE conversion. Meaning, that diffs should be given the once over, and checked for gear pattern, run out and back lash. If out of spec, set them right. If that is not possible then find the problem and sort it , before it's a BIG headache later. Replace all bearings etc. Same goes for the gear box.

Anyway to answer your question about the premature wear and issues. if the axle was bent or damaged in any way or the suspension was at fault, there would almost definitely be some uneven wear on the tyres. If the diff was opened and fiddled with three times already I can almost guarantee that the back lash and gear pattern was not set correctly. Setting up the ring and pinion gears does seem involved, but it is really simple enough for most to do - if it is done right and properly.
Bearing pre load, pinion depth and backlash are the three items to have setup correctly to ensure a diff can go the distance.
I obviously don't know what the gearbox shop has checked and found and I am in no way saying they taking a chance with the pricing or their findings.
If you have time to do so, strip the diff out and check the crown and pinion gears for wear near the edges or on alternating ends of the gears, if that is the case there is probably and adjustment problem. If a gear is set too far back or too close, the gears won't mesh together in the right area. The wear patterns will be off which eventually leads to wear on the gear teeth. Hence the noise and issues.

That was a long write and i am sure there a lot of members on here that can give more advice on this.

Hope this helped
Evening GRWLR

Yeah I really have been huh Image Good to see a fellow KZN-er here

The gearbox is from the 2.7 KZTE shape and seems to be well. I am planning to swap it out for something stronger and possibly a six speed but again, due to budget and the likes a full recon will come first.

I understand exactly what you mean about the conversion but I'm not too sure whether whoever did the work originally kept that in mind. Everything seems very make do if you know what I mean, so I'm not sure anything was really checked properly. He did fiddle and according to him because he used the d4d diff lock he also used the d4d crown wheel and pinion.

I do have the old set of tyres that came off the rear if I'm not mistaken and the wear is absolutely normal so I'm taking that as there been no issues with the suspension and axle.

That actually does help a lot! Thank you for that. I will definitely be pulling the diff out so I'm gonna try and look for the wear patterns and definitely share some pics.

I've been speaking to a guy from "Living SFA" from joburg and his thoughts are on the same line as yours. He believes that the root cause could be worn bearings or bearings setup incorrectly. He also does offer a full recon but I have to send my centreportion to him so that is on the table (budget willing as usual Image)

As far as the gearbox place goes, they didn't actually check anything at all. The diagnosis came from one of their mechanics taking it for a drive so we'll only have some solid info once the diff comes out.

Appreciate the help my friend.

Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Harm JR. »

Update on my diff nightmare. Had it rebuilt last year by Jaco Groenveld from Living SFA in jhb. The issue was a 10mm or so ish spacer fitted by some genius between the crown wheel and carrier. The oil was more steel chunks and shavings than oil and the noise was deafening. Thankfully the nightmare has become a blissful dreamImage

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”