Lexus V8 Conversions

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Harm JR.
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: 1997 Toyota Hilux (dads)

Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:36 pm

Howzit going guys
Quite hard to find a good thread on the Lexus V8 Conversions, and i know there are plenty, so I thought I'd start one.
Just curious on the consumption you guys are getting and some comments on their power etc from the owners.
Thanks guys
Look forward to hearing from you all

GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux - Lexus V8

Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:51 pm

Howzit Abdullah,

I have a 1UZ non VVti, 8km/l on the open road. 6.5km/l in town and about.
I run spitronics management, full original 4x4 drivetrain- manual 5 speed gearbox.(G52) diff ratios 4.743:1

I am currently busy with some diff ratio fettling. Want to bring it down just a tad bit so as to bring the revs down on the open road.

Power.... plenty. With my current diff ratio it is a dream off road . Go anywhere. Only draw back is i am running @3600 rpm doing 125km/h (gps) A bit too high for comfort for me :naah:

:mrgreen:

Harm JR.
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:31 pm

GRWLR ZN wrote:Howzit Abdullah,

I have a 1UZ non VVti, 8km/l on the open road. 6.5km/l in town and about.
I run spitronics management, full original 4x4 drivetrain- manual 5 speed gearbox.(G52) diff ratios 4.743:1

I am currently busy with some diff ratio fettling. Want to bring it down just a tad bit so as to bring the revs down on the open road.

Power.... plenty. With my current diff ratio it is a dream off road . Go anywhere. Only draw back is i am running @3600 rpm doing 125km/h (gps) A bit too high for comfort for me :naah:

Awesome awesome
I'm looking into buying my firat car, which has to be a hilux SFA or pre 98 as my dad calls it (we have one)
Found one which has a lexus v8 already so it's like a dream come true for me. (Unfortunately it's auto)

I'm pretty much an amature to everything other than driving, changing tires, water oil break fluid that stuff, so i don't completely understand ratios and i have to learn (really want to more than need to :tongue: )

What do you mean by you're running it at 3600rpm exactly?

GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:08 am

Morning,
The SFA's are mamba, if you can get one in good nick, grab it. Don't worry too much about the auto, they are generally a bit heavier on fuel, but tend to be less of an headache when it comes to handling the power of the motor etc.
Go have a look on Google and YouTube and the like on the diff ratios, even on this forum there are a few threads with regards to ratios and how differentials work.

If you want to learn. You should grasp it easy.

What I mean by 3600rpm is that due to the high ratio currently on my van, when I am cruising on the highway in 5th, the revs climb very high. That's where the ratio comes in. See 4.743:1 means that the pinion (propshaft) has to turn 4.743 times for the wheels to make 1 turn. Therefore the revs climb high when you hit the 125km/h mark.
The Gearbox gets hotter than normal and of course, higher revs means more fuel. But then again. You don't buy a V8 for duel economy :lol:

LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kimberley
Vehicle: 1995 Toyota Hilux 4x4, Landcruiser axels and transfer box, Lexus V8 vvti with 5speed auto

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:15 am

Interesting that so many guys complain about fuel consumption of the Lexus V8.... what about the 2.2, 2.4, 2.7 and 4.0V6 of Toyota? Don't that engines also give in the ball park of around 7km/L. Just my thought on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:thumbup: :thumbup: :D: :D:
Image Link Broken

Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
Club VHF Licence: HC115

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:54 am

I get around 6.7km/l (Urban) on my standard 1997 2.4P (22R). Only modification done was Cowley free flow with branches.
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

Harm JR.
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:04 am

GRWLR ZN wrote:Morning,
The SFA's are mamba, if you can get one in good nick, grab it. Don't worry too much about the auto, they are generally a bit heavier on fuel, but tend to be less of an headache when it comes to handling the power of the motor etc.
Go have a look on Google and YouTube and the like on the diff ratios, even on this forum there are a few threads with regards to ratios and how differentials work.

If you want to learn. You should grasp it easy.

What I mean by 3600rpm is that due to the high ratio currently on my van, when I am cruising on the highway in 5th, the revs climb very high. That's where the ratio comes in. See 4.743:1 means that the pinion (propshaft) has to turn 4.743 times for the wheels to make 1 turn. Therefore the revs climb high when you hit the 125km/h mark.
The Gearbox gets hotter than normal and of course, higher revs means more fuel. But then again. You don't buy a V8 for duel economy :lol:
I found one and fell in love. Just that my dad thinks it's a bad idea for my first car because I'm going to be paying for the petrol and like you said, V8 is not for fuel economy :laugh2:
Given that, i still want it

I see i see. So how do you change ratios? And actually figure out your ratios if you haven't set them yourself?

LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 1995 Toyota Hilux 4x4, Landcruiser axels and transfer box, Lexus V8 vvti with 5speed auto

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:11 am

It can be calculated
Here is an example of my setup

Image Link Broken
Last edited by LeCruLux-Phillip on Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Link Broken

mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:53 am

Hi

2.4 petrol with EFI i manage to get 6.7 km/l taking it easy ,so a v8 sounds like a bargain

Martin

Harm JR.
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:55 am

mcw wrote:Hi

2.4 petrol with EFI i manage to get 6.7 km/l taking it easy ,so a v8 sounds like a bargain

Martin
I agree

Harm JR.
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:56 am

What i forgot to ask was if the owners of lexus v8's could post some pictures
Let's see em guys!

LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:24 pm

Before:
Image Link Broken

After:
Image Link Broken
Last edited by LeCruLux-Phillip on Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Link Broken

Harm JR.
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:53 pm

That is beautiful

LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:55 pm

Body still needs toe go for paint job though

Image Link Broken

Harm JR.
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:55 pm

LeCruLux-Phillip wrote:Body still needs toe go for paint job though

I'd love to see how it turns out.
What colour are you thinking?

LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:08 pm

I will stay with the current color of body. Just to remove rust,dents and new coat of paint

Image Link Broken

LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:11 pm

Image Link Broken
Last edited by LeCruLux-Phillip on Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Link Broken

Harm JR.
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:13 pm

I get you. That look pretty sweet

LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:14 pm

Thank you

Image Link Broken

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Phillip, instead of using the normal [ img ] tabs, look a bit further along the line and use these: [ img_resize ]

It ensures that your images show, whereas the normal [ img ] tab is limited to a specific predetermined size.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:24 pm

Thank you i will take note

Image Link Broken

Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: White River
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:16 am

Before:

Image Link Broken
After:

Image Link Broken

Image Link Broken

And read more Here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=39912#p471502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image Link BrokenImage Link BrokenImage Link Broken

LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:30 am

That is a very very nice build, knuppel, if i may ask what was the total R spent on your build?

Image Link Broken

Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: White River
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:41 pm

Phillip, R70k including the purchase of the vehicle.
Image Link BrokenImage Link BrokenImage Link Broken

Harm JR.
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:16 pm

Knuppel wrote:Phillip, R70k including the purchase of the vehicle.
Woaaah. That's not half as much as I'd expected. You sure you mean included? ImageImage

LeCruLux-Phillip
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:19 pm

Wow! Very very nice indeed. I thought it would have been around that excluding purchase of vehicle. Well done!!!
Image Link Broken

Harm JR.
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:21 pm

LeCruLux-Phillip wrote:

Wow! Very very nice indeed. I thought it would have been around that excluding purchase of vehicle. Well done!!!
I guess it's clear i don't know anything about rebuilding vehicles Image

GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:31 pm

Marius ,
I followed the thread on your build. Must say , beautiful. :thumbup:

Phillip, i couldn't agree more, the Lexus actually does better than some toyota motors on fuel. I bought mine with the conversion done as is. Was not looking for a V8 at all, but this one came up, was in my price range, its a late '98 IFS (yes, i like the early IFS) Did some research and realized that you get a lot more bang for your buck per liter, so why not. :celebrate:
Have not looked back, but yes, being a dieselmech, there is always room for improvement. :cooldude:

As soon as i can figure out exactly how to load pics. i will. There are one or two things that need attention on the GRWLR so i will load before and after pics eventually.

Abdullah,
A bit of a crash course :D: .
If you are hundred percent certain the vehicle is stock standard then it is easy enough to track down what ratios and so forth you are running.
Quick check, although not perfect, yet reliable when not sure is. Get one rear wheel off the ground, mark it and turn one full revolution. Then count how many times the propshaft turns, however, keep in mind that as only one wheel is being rotated it only makes for half a rev of the crown wheel. So, times the prophaft rev x 2.
Another way is to strip the unit , count each tooth on each gear and divide the bigger number with the smaller for example: 50 teeth on the crown wheel and 11 on the pinion. 50/11=4.545. Therefor 4.545:1 ratio.
Then, even better, when you strip a diff (most) will have the ratio or teeth numbers stamped on the gears.

Some diffs you can change out the crown wheel and pinion (mostly on the local types) . But also only to a certain size. You can change ratios in the gearbox itself, however, that will not make much of a difference on the final drive (diff)of a vehicle. (200 -300rpm) So, in most cases, get a proper gearbox with standard ratios and then fettle with the diffs. Unfortunately on my IFS i have the import type rear axle, so no options for different crown and pinion combos for me. Therefor i have to change out the complete rear axle. found a set, axle and front diff.
Will keep you posted on progress.

Harm JR.
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:17 pm

GRWLR ZN wrote:Marius ,
I followed the thread on your build. Must say , beautiful. Image

Phillip, i couldn't agree more, the Lexus actually does better than some toyota motors on fuel. I bought mine with the conversion done as is. Was not looking for a V8 at all, but this one came up, was in my price range, its a late '98 IFS (yes, i like the early IFS) Did some research and realized that you get a lot more bang for your buck per liter, so why not. :celebrate:
Have not looked back, but yes, being a dieselmech, there is always room for improvement. :cooldude:

As soon as i can figure out exactly how to load pics. i will. There are one or two things that need attention on the GRWLR so i will load before and after pics eventually.

Abdullah,
A bit of a crash course :D: .
If you are hundred percent certain the vehicle is stock standard then it is easy enough to track down what ratios and so forth you are running.
Quick check, although not perfect, yet reliable when not sure is. Get one rear wheel off the ground, mark it and turn one full revolution. Then count how many times the propshaft turns, however, keep in mind that as only one wheel is being rotated it only makes for half a rev of the crown wheel. So, times the prophaft rev x 2.
Another way is to strip the unit , count each tooth on each gear and divide the bigger number with the smaller for example: 50 teeth on the crown wheel and 11 on the pinion. 50/11=4.545. Therefor 4.545:1 ratio.
Then, even better, when you strip a diff (most) will have the ratio or teeth numbers stamped on the gears.

Some diffs you can change out the crown wheel and pinion (mostly on the local types) . But also only to a certain size. You can change ratios in the gearbox itself, however, that will not make much of a difference on the final drive (diff)of a vehicle. (200 -300rpm) So, in most cases, get a proper gearbox with standard ratios and then fettle with the diffs. Unfortunately on my IFS i have the import type rear axle, so no options for different crown and pinion combos for me. Therefor i have to change out the complete rear axle. found a set, axle and front diff.
Will keep you posted on progress.
Awesome!Excellent explanation thank you.
I don't think i have the know how to strip a diff and or gearbox just yet, but that's the kinda thing I'd love to know how to do. I will get there someday. Need some supervision and the guide of the experienced jedi

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”

• Information