'89 3Y High Idle

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
okest13
Town: Blacksburg
Vehicle: '89 Hilux DC Firetruck

'89 3Y High Idle

Post by okest13 »

Hey all, my hilux has been idling rather high at startup - roughly at 2k rpm. I can rev the throttle for a quick second up to 3000ish rpm and it will drop back down to 1000. Is this the carbs or air control telling me something?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: '89 3Y High Idle

Post by Mud Dog »

I would say it's more like something sticking. Start by lubing all the linkages on the carb (cable too if you can manage it). Does your carb have an auto choke? (Mine is a manual choke on on the Hilux work bakkie). If it's an auto choke, that could also be sticking.

Although not the most likely probability, it's also possible that the butterflies are a bit sticky.

Don't try making adjustments at this point - if it returns to idle as you say after a blip of the throttle and if your fuel consumption is still the same, it's not an adjustment problem (although the 1000rpm idle is a bit high and should be in the region of 800rpm.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”