Rear suspension fix or upgrade

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Hilux Heap
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: '93 Hilux Raider 4x4 DC. Basic offroad frt bumper with Warn Tabor 9k winch, Roll bar, Towbar, std half door fiberglass canopy with roofrack. 2x 65 lt fuel tanks, 31x10.5R15 HT tyres

Rear suspension fix or upgrade

Post by Hilux Heap »

Morning all,
Just a few questions with regards to the rear suspension. I saw that the rear end of the bakkie 'hangs' a bit. I know I need to replace the load box rubbers (no1), then I want to re-tension the rear blades.

- Where (besides Agents) can I buy load box rubbers and how do distinguish between import and local box? (price of rubbers if possible)
- What do you guys recommend, Poly bushes or rubber bushes with greaseable shackles?
- Standard shackles or extended shackles (40mm).
- When I do extend the shackles, which shocks to I fit?

The current prices I got are as follows (are they reasonable):
Tension: R 350 per pack
Extended Shackles (40mm): R 340 each
Rubber bushes: R 15 each
Single metal casing bush: R 45 each

Thanks for the help
Image,Image

You only have ONE LIFE!! Live it........................... with a Hilux!!!!
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Re: Rear suspension fix or upgrade

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Hi Andre, as far as the rear spring leaf packs go, retensioning does not last and is a waste of your money. Rather shop around and get a new set of springs.
The question then is whether you now replace the fronts to match as well. If your fronts are looking inverted a bit, you need to fix the spring saddles on the axle first
to flatten them out. They bend/collapse over time.

All depends on your budget. I have been running the OME setup (springs/shocks/greasable shackles etc) for 12 years with no issues. Works really well on the SFA Hilux.
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Hilux Heap
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: '93 Hilux Raider 4x4 DC. Basic offroad frt bumper with Warn Tabor 9k winch, Roll bar, Towbar, std half door fiberglass canopy with roofrack. 2x 65 lt fuel tanks, 31x10.5R15 HT tyres

Post by Hilux Heap »

Thanks Andrew. The front packs seem to be ok. 4 blade pack and they are basically flat (slight upwards bent). Where would be the best place to start looking for a new set of rear packs?
Image,Image

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I have to agree with Andrew. "Re-tensioning" is a waste of time and money and the packs are buggered afterwards. Best is to reshape them with a cold process in a press.

I have a full OEM set that you can have for R1K, but you would have to arrange for transport. Took them out of my '90 model when I replaced them with OME. Only thing wrong with them was that the front packs were sagging as they all do over time but the back ones were good. Now they have gathered some rust from moisture where they were stored and if you're interested, I would suggest splitting the packs, cleaning the blades and replacing the clamps and centre bolt with the reassembly.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hilux Heap
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Hilux Heap »

Thanks Andy. Will see if I can make a plan with transport. If you get them sold in the mean time do so. Will be in touch.
Image,Image

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Have a look at this topic. I re-shaped (cold press) one of my front leaf packs almost 5 years ago. Since then it has gone through some rough treatment and has settled back very little since then.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28052&p=331721&hili ... ss#p331721

P.S.
This was not an OEM pack, but Dobinson's (would have preferred Old Man Emu, but that's what was in the vehicle when I bought it).
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”