Power steering issues merc 300d 5cl into sfa

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Power steering issues merc 300d 5cl into sfa

Post by FIRSTGEER »

My son Wade, " 4th GEER" on the forum with my and my other son Brad's assistance, have installed a merc 300d 5cyl engine into his 4y sfa Hilux.
We have actually driven the sfa up and down my road to test the drive chain and we are very pleased with the result so far.Brad is busy finishing the final fenders and load body spray work and we are completely the other tasks such as fitting bucket seats and sorting out the wiring and the power steering.

We used the 300d merc power steering pump and piped it to the sfa power steering box and found the pump ia def pumping but the steering box still stays hard to turn.We have swopped pipes on the steering box but still have a problem.

I have given this problem a lot of thought and my grey matter cannot solve the problem.
My questions are - the power steering pump of the 300d merc engine operates a power steering RACK ,whereas the sfa power steering pump is operating a power Steering BOX on the sfa.
Can this be my problem ?
I trust that one of the forum fundis can help us with this problem.

Once the rebuild and transplant is completed,we will post the rebuild on the forum.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: Power steering issues merc 300d 5cl into sfa

Post by Thabogrobler »

Mmmm....not too clued up on hydrolics but is it not possible to make a bracket and fit the Yota pump?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm thinking the same thing. I'm of course no fundi on this either, but to my mind a rack would require more volume and less pressure than a box, and the pumps would be designed differently so as to deliver accordingly. It's therefore I believe that the OEM Merc pump doesn't have enough guts for the box.

Also, if it were the other way around, steering would be easier with small steering increments and sluggish on sharper turns. If you don't use the old Toyota pump, you will have to match one with similar delivery specs.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
FIRSTGEER
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.

Post by FIRSTGEER »

My thoughts exactly but I wanted to first see if I possibly could avoid having to do another bracket modification as well as having to have the merc pump pulley machined to fit the toyota pump.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Keep the Toy pump pulley unless the Merc belt is different. If the belt is not compatible and you have to use the Merc pulley, just check that they are of similar diameter so that you achieve a similar RPM at the pump.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Thanks Andy.That is the big issue as the merc uses a flat multigroove belt and the toyota has a v belt.The diameters are about the same.I somehow still think the pump is faulty.Will try another same pump first and take it from there.
Wade spoke to some steering hydro boffins who say that the merc pump should work okay.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Trial and error will tell. :winkx:

Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

Tony I used a QD32 pump on my SFA and I am sure that is for rack power steering.must add when I fitted it I had to move steering right to left for a while to get it working.
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Thanks for the replies guys.I think the first step is to test another pump from a Musso.Luckily my son Brad has a Musso so we will test and take it from there.
Been so hot and humid this last week.We really suffered here so the rebuild and power steering issues was the furtherist topic on my mind and the cold beer in the fridge the closest.
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

:?: :?: :?: An up date on the power steering.Wade fitted a borrowed pump from Brad's Musso and I'm happy to confirm that the power steering is working 100%.
The original pump as obviously faulty so now we need to source another pump for the 602 engine.
I think it should be a lot easier than having to adapt another pump to fit the already adapted engine.

The spray work to the last few panels is almost completed so the lux is moving along onto the final stage.
I think it should be completed by :think: :?:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Good to hear Tony. :thumbup:

You guys must "wikkel" and get it sorted in time for the 9th Dec GTG! :winkx:

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

That is good news!
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”