CARB UPGRADE / EFI

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
selwyn schaefer
Town: Queenstown
Vehicle: toyota hilux double cab sfa 1996 2.4 petrol

CARB UPGRADE / EFI

Post by selwyn schaefer »

Hi All,

I have read a lot of posts on carb upgrades / EFI installations.
Without duplicating anything, which one is the better option?
My 1996 2.4 petrol hilux is showing her age now and I would like some extra power.
Does any one have a contact for me where I could get the conversion / upgrade done?
I live in Queenstown, Eastern Cape, but I would like some one who knows what they are doing, so I am willing to travel the distance to get the job done properly.

Thanks in advance.
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Re: CARB UPGRADE / EFI

Post by cprinsloo »

YEs Selwyn,

Difficult one. Some guys has installed a Golf carb on their 4Y's, but I don't know if anybody did it on a 2.4, the 4Y is 2.2, apparently with some success.

Problem with the EFI on the 2.4 is the manifold, up to a few years ago you could get them sometimes on Ebay if you were lucky (I got 2), the 2.4 never was EFi in SA, only in the USA for a few years in the 80's, those things are scarcer than hen's teeth.

Maybe an engine and carb rebuild will help, if you can live with the consumption and lack of power. Other option is an engine conversion, that's expensive and you'll probably loose some reliability (ask me, I went the Lexus 1UZ route...). The 22R engine is cheap to maintain and reliable....

Good luck,

Cheers,

C

Edit: Well, here's one on Ebay, not shipping to SA, but maybe if you are interested you can contact the seller to arrange something, and expect shipping to be about $150.....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1989-Toyo ... dc&vxp=mtr
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Simon Morris up your way used to do this kind of thing but I think his focus has changed to that of maintaining his forklifts. Even if you were able to to get Simon to do the work for you (assuming you get the hardware / parts and stuff) you would still have to have it set up on a dyno. I don't think you have one in Queenstown, so you would have to bring it down to E. L. anyway.

The biggest problem is going to be sourcing the manifold / plenum / throttle body. As Chris said, the 22RE version was not available in SA, so they are scarce here. Sourcing from abroad is not a problem besides the shipping costs. If you are able to get, then Alex motors here in E.L. can do it for you (Dylan, "AM Racing" here on the forum). He did mine and we had to make up our own injector rail and we used VW injectors because that was all missing with the unit I sourced locally at the time.

You say your motor is "tired" but if it's because it's worn, then EFI isn't going to magically wake it up again. Might be a good idea to do a compression test first. Could be that a rebuild of the motor is all that's needed. The carb can also be sorted quite easily if needs be.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
selwyn schaefer
Town: Queenstown
Vehicle: toyota hilux double cab sfa 1996 2.4 petrol

Post by selwyn schaefer »

Thanks guys.

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”